Home | About | Donate

'Our Votes Matter': Rights Marchers in North Carolina Call for End to Voter Suppression

'Our Votes Matter': Rights Marchers in North Carolina Call for End to Voter Suppression

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Over one month into their multi-state trek, civil rights leaders and activists on Thursday are descending on the North Carolina State Capitol in Raleigh to call attention to what they say is a flagrant "crime against democracy," the dismantling of the Voting Rights Act.

Following in the footsteps of civil rights leaders and activists a generation ago, the NAACP on August 1 launched its 860-mile Journey for Justice, from Selma, Alabama to Washington, D.C. with the message that, "Our lives, our votes, our jobs, and our schools matter."

Good for these wonderful people. And, to Rachel Byler, all things are connected. Environmental destruction, voting rights, equality of opportunity, the collapse of the U.S. middle class, the rise of religious intolerance ( and the attack on atheists ) and the rest of it. We'll never have enough for all is the best lie told to humanity, ever. People just can't leave it alone. The it being, of course, the world we all find ourselves trying to live in. So it goes.... Same as it ever was. " We'll just out breed them " cries the religiously intense Texan male, reacting to the rise of people, mostly progressive, who don't believe that's the answer. Or, even a sane answer. Yeah, that's it, that's the spirit. Put your backs into it, boys! " To the breech, To the breech, Once more unto the breech! "

Apparently North Carolina power elites would like nothing better than to restrict voting for "Whites Only" with few exceptions as reflected in their never-ending push to disenfranchise the "riff-raff" through any and all manner of "legal" (yet uncivil, inhumane) manipulations of their state constitution and laws. In addition, their minimum wage is absurd but they have to maintain a supply of domestic help, after all.

To end voter suppression, the Drug War/Private Prison Complex that disenfranchises minorities must end. A great stumbling block is that the "End Voter Suppression" movement is led by conservative Reverends that want to continue waging the war on drugs and who take money from anti-drug organizations for this purpose. Until minorities realize this, little progress will be made against the Black Holocaust.

To all the commenters who spend a lot of time here, I urge you to join the campaign for campaign reform. You have the time, energy and words, put them to good use, either on your own or in coalition. You can be the best of us. Please ask ALL candidates for office to speak on these:

-Overturn Citizens United
-Institute Automatic Registration
-Institute open primaries everywhere*
-repeal voter ID laws
-public financing of elections
-encourage Approval voting*
-redraw Chicago district, ward, and precinct maps to mirror 77 neighborhood map*
-election day as national holiday
-voting receipts*
-no more electronic voting, and encourage in-person rather than absentee*
-a (telecast) debate for every primary (50)*
-end the Electoral Collage**

*Ideas I am campaigning Sanders to adopt, and I will campaign all other candidates from any party as well, time permitting.
**I don't agree on this one for now but, the reform coalition does so I include it.

Who wins the Black Holocaust? Is it the Black Jesus, The White Jesus, The Brown Jesus or the Go forth and multiply and be good consumers jesus, crowd? Because we know the meme of the scarcity of everything, including basic human rights, causes this backlash and attempt at voting ( and other ) rights suppression. The price of justice is the monetization of some benefit received to these good people in N. Carolina that is basically free to the ( white ) privileged; as a right of birth. But you wouldn't know it by their actions, here. Buying votes works really well during times of perceived scarcity ( now it's always scarce only more so ) for some ( whites ), doesn't it? And, really, privilege has its rewards because there's never enough and so you have to be buy it. Sounds like buying your way into a heaven and/or keeping " the other " out, to me. N. Carolina doesn't look like paradise, but it could be (?) Which is privileged ( white ) information ( the how ), I'm quite sure. P-Frank One is coming to America in Sept. to make all the women who've had an abortion feel not guilty ( but only for a year, I'm told ); even though about 95% of them don't feel guilty, already. What a nice man. And, a scarce one, at that.

The bizarre thing about the voter suppression movement is that it targets the poor -- not only people of color -- because the poor used to vote Democratic. This really isn't a factor anymore, since Democrats are the ones who have targeted the poor ever since the Clinton administration. It's true that masses of the poor, and those who get why unrelieved poverty is sinking the US, voted for Obama in hopes that he could launch a legit discussion about America's poverty crisis. He did raise the issue a few times, Dems and liberals aren't interested. Clinton/Gore targeted the poor, giving us 8 yrs of Bush. The poor (and those who get why this is a critical issue) voted third party or withheld their votes, and the middle class picked Bush. Twice.This year alone, Democrats agreed to virtually end food stamps to the elderly poor and the disabled. How do you think those people will vote in 2016?

Did you know that the majority of very poor are white? For whom can the poor vote this time around, when no pol, no party, represents them?

Should the white poor remain disenfranchised? Did you know that it has virtually been open season on our homeless poor for years, as they've been beaten, even killed, by police and citizens alike? Or that most of our very poor are white? The overall life expectancy of the US poor, unlike those in any of the modern nations, has actually been on a downhill slide since the 1980s/'90s.