Home | About | Donate

Our Years into the Syrian Conflict, We Must Never Lose Sight of the Civilians Behind the ‘Story’

our Years into the Syrian Conflict, We Must Never Lose Sight of the Civilians Behind the ‘Story’

Maya Mailer

If you type ‘Syria’ into Google News, the headlines that normally appear are about airstrikes, beheadings, and Jihadi John. The less dramatic, everyday human cost of those caught up in the crisis gets much less play. Perhaps this is inevitable. As the conflict enters its fifth year, a sense of fatigue and helplessness has set in. My hardnosed media colleagues tell me that we need to find something ‘new’ to say. Everyday human suffering, even of such magnitude, clearly doesn’t cut it. But while international interest is waning, the suffering continues – on an epic scale.

Dear Ms. Mailer, your story moves me to send a donation to Oxfam. Imagine if all the tyrants wasting money on building, trading, and purchasing weapons ceased and desisted from doing so.

Just as makers of harmful products are sometimes legally obligated to pay reparations for the harm their products cause, it would be great if a set of attorneys established a class action lawsuit on behalf of any number of refugee states (and displaced peoples), and initiated legal proceedings aimed at digging into the profits made by those within the global arms trade.

That so many people suffer in Haiti, Syria, Palestine, and impoverished neighborhoods throughout Asia, and increasingly, the U.S. and Europe is a sin that CAN be corrected.

It's time for war profiteers to pay for their blood profits.

What displaced people go through is unimaginable. My heart goes out to them.