Home | About | Donate

Outpouring of Sorrow After More Than 200 Killed In Easter Sunday Bombings in Sri Lanka

Outpouring of Sorrow After More Than 200 Killed In Easter Sunday Bombings in Sri Lanka

Julia Conley, staff writer

News of several deadly bombings in three Sri Lankan cities was met with condemnation and sorrow from around the world on Sunday, as the death toll of the attacks climbed past 200.

In what officials in Sri Lanka called suicide bombings, St. Anthony’s Shrine in the capitol city of Colombo, St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, and Zion Church in Batticaloa were attacked on Sunday morning as Christians gathered to celebrate Easter. Three hotels in Colombo—the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand, and the Kingsbury—were also bombed.

2 Likes

There is a sickness, a disease, it is spreading so fast you could easily call it a pandemic. The disease has a name, it is called hate. It attacks the blood and into the brain then the soul. There is a way of preventing you from catching this disease. Remember and be mindful that with eyes of fire, no one can see. When angry you loose sight of who you are. Hate is fear, fear of the other, so remember, all of our shadows are the same. When you see someone angry, comfort them so that they know there is nothing to fear and hopefully help stop the spread of this deadly disease.

8 Likes

Senseless and inexplicable.

Few Facts:

1. The past conflict was between the Buddhist Sinhalese majority and the Rebel Tamil Tigers who arose from the widely oppressed Hindu Tamils. The conflict ended in huge massacres of the Tamil people - one of the greatest human rights atrocities so far in the 21st century The west, presumably for the usual reasons, ignored these atrocities.

2. Religion breakdown:
    70.2% Buddhism (Theravada - the official state religion with much government support)
    12.6% Hinduism (formerly higher - most Hindus are now Indian expats, due to the ethnic-cleansing of the Tamils)
    9.7% Islam (mostly Moor and Maylay immigrants in the 19th/20th century)
    7.4% Christianity (very old - dating back to the apostle Thomas’s visit to nearby Kerala, India in AD 52)
    0.1% Other/None

The Christian minority seem to have avoided any involvement in conflict throughout the recent post-colonial history of the country.

1 Like

Something that might help, worldwide.

Lately the news seems filled with hate and tragedy;
Only occasionally does love and kindness appear.
Verily, we need a new strategy
Encouraging empathy and forgiveness instead of fear.

Teachers revered throughout history have always taught love,
Hatred is proved but a sordid blind alley.
Youth has always sought a path of enlightenment in the light above.

Now we are facing a cult of hate and destruction,
Engorging itself upon power and greed.
It is time We the People begin giving instruction,
Growing love and compassion with new seed.
Hatred is like being chained to an oar in a galley.
Brotherly love can snap the chain and break the oar,
Or, take the galley and head for an halcyon shore
Resolving in peace, that of hate, we will take no more.

Steve Osborn
28 May 2017
;-})

3 Likes

When I woke up this morning I went to Facebook and this was the first thing I saw:

‪"My heart is with the people of Sri Lanka on this Easter Sunday, with hundreds killed & wounded in a horrific attack as they gathered in prayer. On a day devoted to love and peace, may we remember Jesus Christ’s message of love - for God & for each other - as we commit to defeating hate with love." ~Tulsi Gabbard

8 Likes

Religion continues to spur on craziness across the world.

6 Likes

Easter as the Resurrection–let it be the resurrection of our common humanity. We are ONE.

5 Likes

A different MSM article this morning had a few lines about how the Buddhist Monks had been bullying Christians recently there. I know it’s not impossible, but seems unlikely with Buddhism being one of the most peaceful religious sects on earth.

There must be away, somehow, to have all aggressors world-wide lay their weapons down and have at least one day of peace.

4 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/for-christians-in-sri-lanka-violence-is-at-once-old-and-new/ar-BBW9HY9

1 Like

The INSANITY OF HUMANITY continues. Our species deserves extermination/extinction, not the animals that people are killing off.

2 Likes

I would not be surprised if these attacks in Sri Lanka were not done in revenge of the recent New Zealand mosque attacks.

2 Likes

Wow -another of millions of acts of hate fueled by religious intolerance. Most wars are still religious wars, even after thousands of years, or for energy resources. I know our wars definitively are for both; a fact that can bee seen in the broad-based support for the attacks on Muslim countries advanced by predominantly Christian supported politicians. The soldiers directly fighting this war are using anti-Muslim Rhetoric as a staple of their own justification for the conflict.

In the halls of highly corrupt government it is clear that no concern is present for hate as long as it is directed at people of color or or of religions other than Christian or Judea. Omar’s Race, Gender and Religion are forfeit, while even the innocuous comment she made about AIPAC influencing politics through money, (a political lobby for an extreme right wing regime which at its core is anti-Muslim), despite the fact that all lobbies utilize what amounts to bribery - but this resulted in waves of overt hate, rascism, sexism, religious intolerance and basically overt Fascist sentiment. Not much of a positive example to be forwarded by the supposed leader of the supposedly free world.

3 Likes

Thank God mankind will soon be eradicated from this planet. The sooner the better for other life forms.

2 Likes

And hate is also being angry at the self, and focusing it outwards. Great post!

2 Likes

Thanks, there is more if you are interested.

2 Likes

Yes, I am. Thank you.

You are most welcome. If there is something that I have missed or passed over too quickly let me know. Suggestions are always welcome.

1 Like

Pretty much what I read this morning. So what do you think? Do we take it at face value?
I feel like the longer it goes without some group claiming responsibility, the larger the chance it was a false flag, when you take the other resent religious attacks into account (not including Notre-Dame, they have all but ruled that electrical related and a ridiculous human fire reporting system).

1 Like

Nation-states are heavily involved in black-market economies and terrorism.
Nation-state propaganda depends on them.

People choose the term revenge rather than mend all too often.

3 Likes