Home | About | Donate

Outrage As Rupert Murdoch Says No Problem With Great Barrier Reef

Outrage As Rupert Murdoch Says No Problem With Great Barrier Reef

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Australian business magnate and multi-billionaire Ruport Murdoch created even more enemies when he declared on Tuesday that the Great Barrier Reef, which has suffered severe destruction at human hands, looks "to the naked eye...fully as good as it did 50 years ago."

Murdoch made the comment in a series of posts to his Twitter page:

Australia's Great Barrier Reef truly one of the world's great wonders. Never more beautiful than today teeming with multi-coloured fish.

Old man proves that dementia is something that happens to everyone.

If you live long enough.

I like how my mum is dealing with her illness better than he is, of course, I'm not letting her out in public.

And when asked what day it was, Murdoch replied: Have I eaten yet? Where's my cathartic?

Australian business magnate and multi-billionaire Ruport Murdoch

He might have been born in Australia, and he may command the Australian media (not to mention the global plus satellite ones). He may even own the newspaper that my employer puts in the lunch room called "The Australian".

But he does not live there and his Australian citizenship has long ago been discarded for a USA one. I would not call him Australian. And the newspaper "The Australian", is therefore USA owned, which is a damn good metaphor for the rest of Australia.

Murdoch's statements follow the Prime Minister Tony Abbott's proposed gutting of a critical environmental protection law

Tony Abbot is Rupert's man. Rupert put him there. Rupert keeps him there. Rupert will decide when Tony will fall. The entire ruling right wing (and the so called left) know which side their bread is buttered on. And millions of Australians, if you talk to them, will repeat the talking points from the right wing talk radio.