Home | About | Donate

'Outrage Spiking': Federal Workers Occupy Senate Building With 33 Minutes of Angry Silence to End Trump Shutdown

'Outrage Spiking': Federal Workers Occupy Senate Building With 33 Minutes of Angry Silence to End Trump Shutdown

Jake Johnson, staff writer

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates...

Protesting the widespread economic hardship caused by the ongoing shutdown and demanding that the Senate vote to reopen the government, federal workers and their allies gathered inside the Hart Senate Office Building on Wednesday for a 33-minute silent demonstration—one minute for every day the government has been partially closed over President Donald Trump's demand for border wall funding.

2 Likes

Silent protests by these Federal workers is commendable, lets all hope it works…soon!

5 Likes

Sorry to disagree, but In this cruel world Silent Protests will not get the job done. People have to TAKE back what was stolen from them. At this point, with no end in sight, what do they have to lose? What would you do if you & your family had no money to buy food? Holding up plates is absurd. Relying on Politicians is absurd. All of this is absurd!

11 Likes

An “effective” demonstration does not simply happen, it grows from something. This is an excellent seed planted, now let’s nurture it to grow. If they return every day, and add another minute, and others join in in solidarity so the numbers grow, and people in other venues start similar solidarity protests, it can grow, in ways we can only imagine now.

9 Likes

The debt, and the deficit, are tools cynically used to impose neoliberal austerity. The fact is they do NOT require “hardships for federal workers,” they are used as cover to impose such things.

12 Likes

Silence…it screams with purpose, intent and speaks louder than words can ever say. I have been pushing for this type of protest for years. It makes me happy to see it being used but sad under the circumstances. Let’s all hope it works indeed :-)))

5 Likes

Now is a good time to find those comfy shoes Barry. I’m sure that they will work in a silent protest.

7 Likes

What would you suggest?

I agree…thanks for your reply.

Peacefully chanting the first two lines of the Marseillaise…?

3 Likes

Good to see some white male and female faces among the federal workers. My theory is that until all the oppressed people and ethnicity unite as one there will be no chance for change. The enemy is not Al Qaeda or ISIS or Taliban, those were all created by the devils in the CIA, MI6 and Mossad.

4 Likes

Explain what you mean by “mismanagement”. I have explained to you in the past that the way you frame things is not accurate at all. The federal government can spend whatever it wants, the real limit is full employment and full productive capacity. You reach that, and still create more money (private banks create more money than the state does anyway), inflation likely ensues. That is the limit. Otherwise, the only way the government can create money and inject it into the economy is by creating deficits. Period. We issue bonds AFTER deficits have been created only because the Federal Reserve Act requires us to (we can change the law and simply not issue bonds after deficits have been created if you don’t like public debt), but the bond issuance happens after the deficits have been created and spending determined, which means that the government isn’t really borrowing, the creation of bonds only occurs because the law currently requires the state to (it was written in the gold standard era). For many reasons, deficits and government debt are simply non-issues in and of themselves. What has been mismanaged has been where that money goes once it is created (to the rich and corporations) and the fact that we allow private banks to create well over 90% of money.

Explain though what you mean by “mismanagement”. Are you claiming that deficits and public debt are problems? If so, explain your logic. Cause deficits and public debt require no cuts what so ever. Now, a year from now, a decade from now. And the state (the federal government at least) doesn’t need to tax or borrow in order to spend.

4 Likes

Since you have claimed this many times here, and since many people have pointed out that what you say isn’t true, is there a reason you refuse to research the matter? Read Stephanie Kelton and L. Randall Wray. You really need to.

3 Likes

So where are Federal workers that support Trump’s shutdown?

3 Likes

I agree, it’s not time to throw in the towel just when the fight gets interesting. Others are doing their part, we have to do ours in solidarity. If all we can do is call our representative or write a letter to the editor of your newspaper, then let’s at least do that.
It’s our country and we have to show up at the rally in some cases. This is one.

Gary

4 Likes

Since Reagan rant about the government is the problem not the solution and started to make that come true by defunding different parts of the government making them inefficient as they did not have the money to function properly. Then came Grover Norquest and republicans had to sign a pledge of no new taxes as he wanted to drown the government in the bathtub. Doing so, like now, makes government inefficient.

Peddle your nonsense somewhere else.

3 Likes

Barry’s shoes are very comfortable in other hallways these days, on his way to auditoriums where wealthy and connected people pay him handsomely to prattle for an hour or less.

5 Likes

I wonder if there are any senators who know about this protest.

1 Like

That so called seed you mentioned should be Trees by now! How long does it have to take and how mad do people have to get before they had enuf? You are kicking an empty can, when we should be up in arms. How long would you like to wait?

1 Like

A full blown Revolution is what I suggest.

4 Likes