Home | About | Donate

'Outrageous': Sanders Blasts AstraZeneca for Raising Drug Prices Despite $1.2 Billion From Taxpayers for Covid-19 Vaccine

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/14/outrageous-sanders-blasts-astrazeneca-raising-drug-prices-despite-12-billion

1 Like

This is one of several industries that should be targeted for either strict regulation or government takeover. Banking and insurance come to mind as other targets.

6 Likes

Restoring FDR’s New Deal regulations that were dismantled during the past four decades will take care of the banks and insurance companies…M4A is needed to regulate the legal drug cartel.

Sanders should be blasting Obama for the 2009 deal he made with the devil (Billy Tauzin) to make the ACA a corporate welfare program for drug and insurance companies.

3 Likes

Hi pecohen:
YES, more regulations please. Geez AstraZeneca already got $1.2 billion…and I think they were the ones that thought that $40 per shot would be fine. NO!!! I wonder how much stock Congress and others have bought from them. Since taxpayer money is used—a person would think that maybe the taxpayers already paid for it, so why pay twice?

2 Likes

" Why pay twice" AND why pay Kodak for on the job training to become a drug cartel operative ?

1 Like

There is a link in the statement that Gates Foundation pressured Oxford University to change pricing policy – can the link be restored? It merely takes you to list of today’s headlines.

I’m not sure if this is what the broken link points to, but I found these articles, among others, that discuss the deal with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I don’t trust the motives of Bill or Melinda Gates, and I haven’t trusted their foundation for years. There’s too much money to be made to trust them or anyone else involved in it.

~https://www.managedhealthcareconnect.com/content/rather-give-away-its-covid-vaccine-oxford-makes-deal-drugmaker

~https://www.wsj.com/articles/gates-foundation-teams-up-with-vaccine-maker-to-produce-3-covid-19-shots-11596804573

~https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/04/astrazeneca-doubles-capacity-for-potential-covid-19-vaccine-to-2bn-doses

Should there be a special tax on all medicines sold by AstraZeneca, equal to the fraction of the development costs paid by the US?

1 Like

But Bernie, everybody’s doing it! Just ask drumpf and the gop. I know, call jabba the barr, he’ll put a stop to it.

"One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you, don’t do anything at all

Go ask Alice, when she’s ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits, and you know you’re going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah-smoking caterpillar has given you the call

He called Alice, when she was just small

When the men on the chessboard get up and tell you where to go
And you’ve just had some kind of mushroom, and your mind is moving low

Go ask Alice, I think she’ll know

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen’s off with her head
Remember what the Dormouse said
Feed your head, feed your head"

Songwriters: Grace Wing Slick

White Rabbit lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

1 Like

As usual Bernie is leading the charge. Where’s Biden?

Please notice that the posters that threw bernie under the bus after he
asked people to vote for biden are silent . Did the little naive babies wake up and realize that Bernie is still Bernie even though he had to
become a temporary ally of the Corrupt Dems in order to remove Trump who is a much greater danger . .
CD progressives - " Bernie abandoned us , he no longer a progressive"
Fukin pathetic .
CD use to be interesting back in the days of Sioux Rose and her well written but mostly crazy rants . The threads were alive with creativity and contrast . Now it’s just a bunch of so called progressives that are as ridged and inflexible as Trump and his minions , finding someone in the thread they can pounce on so they can have a sense of unity that is so lacking on the left .
There, i just have you children a target to blow up . Flame away fools.

1 Like

corporations like AstraZeneca are simply criminal parasites feeding on the pain , suffering , and death of our population under the cover of the politicians who protect their profits so they can then collect their share of the bounty–if your politician takes now or has taken in the past a single corporate dollar–they are NOT working for you–so quit voting for them

some of us progressives felt that when the Democrats acted like your everyday Republicans and by suppressing votes and other election hi-jinks to make their preferred corporate shill the nominee-- denying the will of the people(and bringing us Trump with their stupidity–which is incidentally being repeated in this election) we felt it was time to leave the Democratic party as we understood that they were/are corporate toadies trolling for the corporate dollars ,proposing the corporate friendly agendas that are degrading our ecosystems, civil society and the futures of our children --THAT was the betrayal of Bernie–and why his campaign never really got off the ground this year-that he is supporting a criminal science denying war mongering fool is simply par for the course

what we hoped for is that the progressives in our government(all 10 or 12 of them) would act to protect the people by becoming the nucleus of a progressive party–it would not have changed the outcome in 2016 but it will have started the process of replacing the corporatists this year–instead they were co-opted by the corporatists who have shown themselves to BE part of the problem and devoid of any of the measures needed to change the spiraling down the drain we are experiencing now (as in --nothing fundamental [the policies that were so bad they got Trump elected] will change and -I will not ban fracking Joe)

Hi Sirios:
I love Bernie and thank goodness the DNC didn’t interfere with him speaking out on ALL the things that Joe should be talking about, but isn’t talking about. . And thank goodness for the Squad too.
Sirios, yes sometimes people do come with a hatchet—but I think most people are thoughtful and they often have a lot of good information to share and add.