Home | About | Donate

Over 1 Million Chileans Take to the Streets to Demand Political Reforms, Change to Country's Neoliberal Economic System

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/26/over-1-million-chileans-take-streets-demand-political-reforms-change-countrys

5 Likes

The power of the people united in common goal, can actually effect changes to alter or abolish the abuses governments often are influenced to become - the power of corporate greed, big-money and the ultra-wealthy, who use their wealth and influence to corrupt government - as we see all to well here.

Hasta La Victoria Siempre! VIVA Chile!

9 Likes

The first implimentation of neoliberal policies was a coup organized by the CIA in Chile against the democratically elected government of Salvador Allende - thousands of people killed or disappeared - on September 11, 1973.

4 Likes

I think Henry Kissinger should go on down and join the fun!

5 Likes

Yep. Instead of burning an effigy of him…burn HIM!

3 Likes

Why is it that Chile and other smaller countries can unite in such numbers to work for change and fairness and the u.s. seems incapable?

2 Likes

Let’s hear it for the hard working Eoin Higgins. Your work is much appreciated.

5 Likes

This is a crucial and fundamental question that people who desire progressive change need to ask.

Part of the answer is answered in this book which I am almost done with: American Exceptionalism, and American Innocence: A People’s History of Fake News from the Revolutionary War to the War On Terror by Roberto Sirvent and Danny Haiphong.

4 Likes

Thanks for the first sentence and the book reference, Tom.

1 Like

My thought exactly!!!

1 Like

Unfathomable isn’t it.

The Guardian ran a piece today that 41% of the worlds population of 7.7 billion are under 24 years of age. And the protests are not limited to Chile. The anger is in Lebanon, Barcelona, Russia, Hong Kong, France, et al. The protests are now world wide. The youth of the world are justifiably very pissed off and angry as indicated by an increase in global protests all over the world. Perhaps our American youth should join their ranks and join the “activist community” in the collective cause for change and start tearing down the house.

5 Likes

Bravo to all demonstrating Chileans, tell the neocons to shove their austerity measures up their asses. They are under attack increasingly around the globe because people have experienced the harsh economic realities brought by austerity. Austerity has been the largest efleece job perpetrated on the working classesworldwide.ever

3 Likes

The issue for those assholes in the 1% bracket has always been the internet. The good that will come oot of finally defeating this outrageous social inequality will be global unlike any labor progressive movements in the previous century.

The progressive movements of recent times have been brutally crushed and totally ignored by MSM. Therefore the US is still in shock but regaining strength rapidly.

The equivalent in numbers taking to the streets if this happened at this scale in the USA would be 18 million people.

They would notice.

3 Likes

The Chilean protesters just shut down a huge lithium mine, one of the largest lithium producers in the world. The war has just begun.

3 Likes

No nation on this earth see its citizens as great a prisoner to their own lies and myths as is the United States of America.

I do not know of any country where there a group of “Founding fathers” who are quoted and referenced as being the next best thing to a god as happens in the US of A. I do not know of any nation on this earth that sees its constitution as SACRED and its words inviolate outside the US of A.

2 Likes

We can not only stand in solidarity and awe of the people of Chile and beyond across our globe who are rising up against neoliberalism but we can rise up at home for a system wide revolution through total, non cooperation.

Solidarity!

4 Likes

My introduction to that was Gerald Horne’s, The Counter Revolution of 1776.

1 Like