Home | About | Donate

Overcoming 'Decades of Corruption and Systemic Racism,' Reformer Wesley Bell Ousts Prosecutor Who Let Michael Brown's Killer Off the Hook

Overcoming 'Decades of Corruption and Systemic Racism,' Reformer Wesley Bell Ousts Prosecutor Who Let Michael Brown's Killer Off the Hook

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In a remarkable upset victory that could have a "transformative" effect on St. Louis's deeply racist criminal justice system, progressive reformer and Ferguson city council member Wesley Bell on Tuesday handily defeated 27-year Democratic incumbent Bob McCulloch in the race to become St. Louis County's top prosecutor.

Michael Brown Presente!

exactly why we need to elect a new slate!

Great news! I know the ACLU put in a lot of effort to help Bell win.

The only blood on the pavement needs to be from the deep wave of departing knuckle draggers incapable of participating honorably in society.

Beautiful news from Ferguson. Kudos to the tens of thousands of residents who made this happen. You are a shining beacon for all of us.

I can’t wait to listen to next week’s installment of Webby Award winner “Pod Save the People”. The host and regular participants were in the thick of things in Ferguson and will no doubt be celebrating big time!

Progressive prosecutors are key to criminal justice reform. Here’s a novel approach by Philly’s new DA, a former civil rights attorney. Make 'em weigh the actual cost of imprisonment against another solution…
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/31/598318897/philadephias-new-da-wants-prosecutors-to-talk-cost-of-incarceration-while-in-cou

I hope he looks backwards (go after Browns killer), as well as looking forward. Killer cops won’t stop until some go to jail for a long time.

Agree, Krasner has revolutionized the DA’s office, and needs to be the model nationwide.

Such a wonderful choice by the voters of St Louis. Philadelphia has elected the revolutionary figure Krasner, and now we may see serious change in St.Louis as well. I strongly suggest this memo by as reading for every American - it stands as a model for real reform at the municipal and county level. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4415817-Philadelphia-DA-Larry-Krasner-s-Revolutionary-Memo.html

Here’s the full text of Krasner’s memo which outlines the radical reforms he’s putting in place. It’s a new day in Philly if this really continues. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4415817-Philadelphia-DA-Larry-Krasner-s-Revolutionary-Memo.html

Wow! You can really see his civil rights experience in these guidelines. If adopted nationwide, you would see those figures on black crime the right loves to trot out take a nose dive. Thanks for sharing!

It is about time someone challenged the entrenched :“for profit” prison system, especially in Pennsylvania, where a “kid for cash scandal” broke out in the so-called “justice system” back in 2008. In 2008, judges Michael Conahan and Mark Ciavarella were accused of accepting money in return for imposing harsh adjudications on juveniles to increase occupancy at for-profit detention centers.

I am appalled at the number of professing Christians who think that prison is the answer for everything and anything (along with dropping tons of high explosive ordinance on innocent civilians). You cannot find me one verse in the Bible where God directly commands us as human beings to incarcerate another human being.

Yet so-called “Christians” have been doing this for over a millenia.

This is good stuff, reasonable, and thoughtful. The cost of incarceration for minor crimes only benefits one group of people - rich Capitalist thugs who don’t give a rat’s rear end about how many lives they destroy, as long as they make money.

Uh huh…yet the right-wing blowhards on radio can’t understand why NFL players are taking a knee at football games. Maybe it’s because the “American Dream” doesn’t really belong to you if you are black.

Shooting a fleeing suspect is illegal.
Killing a fleeing suspect is murder.

No. The ACLU does not participate in primaries or partisan elections.