Home | About | Donate

Oxfam Names World's Worst Tax Havens Fueling 'Global Race to Bottom'

Oxfam Names World's Worst Tax Havens Fueling 'Global Race to Bottom'

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Corporate tax havens around the world are starving countries of billions of dollars needed to tackle poverty and inequality, according to a new report from Oxfam that identifies the 15 nations and territories leading this "global race to the bottom."

The 1% are racing to take and keep the 99% at the bottom, while they race to the top. The Trump regime wants to cut offshore & "repatriated" corporate taxes from 35% down to 15% - this will be a de facto theft from the 99% to the 1%, and all the critical public needs government was instituted to protect and enhance will be de-funded - "privatization" will be the new Robber Baron MO. For every dollar Trump gifts the uber-wealthy and corporations/bankers/Wall Street, a dollar WILL come out of the pockets of the middle-class, workers, the poor, and those most vulnerable.

The obscenity that is Trump & Co will tear apart the American people that will hopefully create a firestorm backlash of monumental proportions!

The Dem Party hierarchy and apparatus is in collusion with much/most of what Trump stands-for, and must be replaced with a People's Party dedicated to the Common Good, the needs of the 99% of people, and our only planet, a sustainable future and healthy environment. It will take a core of people, already well-known and leaders of conscience, to make the call and rally to their/our banner all the millions that are ready to heed such a call - we saw what is possible from Bernie Sanders and the millions that responded to the truths he championed! The time is now, the cause is just, and the future will be decided by the courage or timidity of those who could make that new party a reality! The Dem Party will not reform.......

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/11/trumps-tax-cut-claims/

The John Adams quote below that speaks to government responsibilities, I will repeat it often!

"Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity and happiness of the people; and not for the profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men: Therefore the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity and happiness require it." - John Adams

Preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
* [My emphasis]
* I find nothing in the Constitution that turns corporations into immortal human beings. I find nothing in that Constitution that allows these corporations and their monied executives to buy the government of this or any other nation. Rather, I see that the Constitution specifies a system of checks and balances that ensures that no branch of the government can take over operation of the government.
* The founders of this nation warned many times of the dangers of banks and bankers buying the government if We the People did not stay on our guard. We did not. Perhaps it is time for We the People to take back our nation from those who have bought and raped, not only it, but many other countries in its name.
* One of the things that was a catalyst for the revolution was was the cry, "No taxation without representation!"
* I've paid taxes for around seventy years, but I haven't been represented for decades.
* "Another fine mess you've gotten us into, Ollie."
;-})

I see you didn't read the fine print in the disappearing ink on the back....

It is of course a stupid concept that Tax pays anything towards federal government expenditure. Governments which are monetary sovereign are not dependent on taxation for their ability to spend.
Not even 1 cent in tax pays for anything . This is not the spin we get from politicians and economists. Politically it suits their agenda, which is to screw the 99%. That's what they are "paid" to do by their sponsors.
So from a sense of fair play, tax havens are evil enough, but not because they starve governments of revenue. They don't.

Nice photo. The Chinese dragon spitting on the world.

Where is Panama?

Jesus. I guess the state of the world right now is really getting to me. I am so completely angry at all the greed in the world. Yep, looks like greed will successfully kill off the human race. Good riddance.

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to pardon them is barbarity." ~ Maximilien Robespierre

This won't last -- it never does. Their inevitable undoing will be their own hubris.

Politics is not my specialty but I believe it was the Supreme Court that gave corporations all kinds of power.
Here is a link to a movie "The Corporation" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrhqtY2khc

I have a question in the same vain. Don't we have rights also and shouldn't they be at least equal to those of corporations?
Do the corporations get away with it because they have all the money?
As I learn more I am beginning to think that the Supreme Court is almost worthless when it comes to our rights.

Trump's a billionaire. When was the last time he "created new jobs" or even gave his existing employees a raise? He can clearly afford to. I'm willing to bet that after his 4 years he still won't have given any of his employees a raise. The conservative mantra that taxing the rich keeps the poor poor and unemployed because it slows down the trickle down effect is an abject lie! Trump is a real life Scrooge!

Dollar bills in people's eyes blinded the people.
Nowadays, you'd think people fully believe that the purpose to life is to make money. Also, that the opposite is true- if you aren't making money, you have no right to live. Isn't that how conservatives act toward the people?

It's actually the merlion (lion of the sea) in Singapore.

Unless I missed something, there is not one mention of how much this is costing us, US, by these off shoring scams. As far as the unmentioned US goes, this is entirely the fault of the US Congress.

I cannot thank you enough for this quote.

From our Declaration of Independence:

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

No one indicated it would be easy.

Ask yourself, who/what, is causing this.

But not w/o a little push.

It is a political gun held to our heads; especially during an "election" such as this last one.

The real reason behind the right to keep and bear arms. But these days the gov't has an unfair advantage. Know any civilians with their own personal bunker busting missile launching drone? And the NRA thinks they've been doing something useful about keeping that right in existence. What joke!