Home | About | Donate

Pandemic in the Plants. The Meat Plants, That Is

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/16/pandemic-plants-meat-plants

3 Likes

Hard to add to your insight Jim. There are many hidden corners of our deregulated hyper-financialized capitalistic system. When I realized at the university where I taught that I was a “human resource” it put it all into perspective. Although more difficult to replace than a meatpacker or many of the other seeming invisible workers to those of us going about our day-to-day lives, I was fungible. Spreadsheets might include names in them, but it is always the bottom line that matters. If any of us get popped out of our places like so much pus in a pimple, money won’t care, less for the janitorial fee. And that’s the way it is.

5 Likes

“You can’t have any pudding, if you don’t eat your meat.”

Skip the meat, people. Save yourself and the planet.

6 Likes

About 20 years ago, a really generous guy in Iowa got hold of my via my website and would burn CDs of old-timey music and send them to me to play on my radio show. We eventually lost contact.

Last summer, on a whim, I googled his name and saw that he died of COVID. He worked in a Tyson Meat plant in Waterloo, Iowa. He’s the only person I know who had the virus.

2 Likes

They are NOT “essential workers”, they ARE sacrificial workers.

2 Likes

We all are, though most won’t admit it.

1 Like

Trump enacted the Defense Production Act to keep these plants open and corporate profits flowing, never forget he refused the same law to keep PPE flowing to healthcare workers to keep them safe.

1 Like