Home | About | Donate

Paradise Burning: Why We All Need to Learn the Word “Anthropogenic”

Paradise Burning: Why We All Need to Learn the Word “Anthropogenic”

Subhankar Banerjee

The wettest rainforest in the continental United States had gone up in flames and the smoke was so thick, so blanketing, that you could see it miles away. Deep in Washington’s Olympic National Park, the aptly named Paradise Fire, undaunted by the dampness of it all, was eating the forest alive and destroying an ecological Eden. In this season of drought across the West, there have been far bigger blazes but none quite so symbolic or offering quite such grim news. It isn’t the size of the fire (though it is the largest in the park’s history), nor its intensity.

No computer models factor in the overlap of unforeseen tipping points. In sum, they will speed up the processes of ecological compromise, if not ruin.

In Puerto Rico the river that feeds San Juan is in major drought stage. The rain forest, known for a number of spectacular waterfalls now merits mere trickles.

Just as the level of salt in the sea plays a major role in creating and sustaining the marine womb-sanctuaries of life, the forest is another placental ecosystem that forms the core of soil, plant, and animal life.

It's mortifying that forests virtually all over the earth are either being torn down for profit, or are succumbing due to changes in both the temperature and chemical composition of the atmosphere.

What the engines of industrialization promoted as "development" and "progress," now habits that drive out appreciation for life's simplest pleasures (and blessings) suggest a pervasive mass madness. One can observe so much mindless scurrying about and much of it requires motorized vehicles.

What war won't succeed in accomplishing, climate chaos will.

The burning rainforests present a eulogy to the poetic balance (that governed the marvelous natural world for eons) ... lost. Paradise, Lost... indeed.

i realize i'm obviously an outlier in this society, but it still has never made sense to me, and will never make sense to me, to get in a car and burn petrol and go drive out to see the wilderness that is being destroyed by burning petrol.

The last of the best is passing.

The little that is left is shrinking.

Beauty we thought preserved but it is not.

The very last of the best...

we will not have.

We are all now in the belly of the beast

The paradox of human existence, from the moment a stone-age human first chipped a bit of flint onto a bit of dried moss to cook dinner.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.