Home | About | Donate

Paramount's "Erin Brockovich" Petitions to Protect Children From Hex Chrome Cancers

Paramount's "Erin Brockovich" Petitions to Protect Children From Hex Chrome Cancers

Lisa Lappin

We must stop sacrificing low-income communities at the altar of corporate profit.

A painting by Lappin's student who lost her battle with cancer at age 8: “painted by the child to whose memory this ... struggle is dedicated. Her painting reminds us that with each new day there is hope.” (Photo: Courtesy of Lisa Lappin)

“We must stop sacrificing low-income communities at the altar of corporate profit. The regulatory agencies given the responsibility to protect us must live up to the high environmental standards that California claims to uphold — our health and futures depend on it.”

Until such matters are properly folded into our “economic” system, little or no change should be expected. Economic externalities are a vex on the planet and all of its inhabitants. The uber wealthy, hiding in their enclaves, think their immune. They may be. Their progeny won’t be so lucky. Greed kills.

My company used to export chrome products to Belgium, until that country made the production of chrome illegal - and even banned the import of chrome products - due to the high levels of toxicity in the manufacturing process.

It’s just unbelievable, the extent to which big business can influence issues like this in the name of profit.

I don’t know what to do. Business always seems to get its way, especially now! Good for Belgium! I lived in W, Europe for three years, and it was very obvious to me that they cared more about their people than the U.S. does. I am all for a boycott of Chrome-containing products!

It’s not just Belgium, it is the whole EU that, through an international agreement called RoHS, bans chrome-plated or coated products or coatings that use Cr6+ in their manufacture. Remember? The evil EU that so many here cheered the UK in voting to get out of?

The brilliance of RoHS is that it bans products that use hazardous substances in their manufacture - even if the product has none of the hazardous substance itself.

There is an alternative process that used low-toxicity Cr3+ for chrome-plating. It will be permitted. So will these US businesses cry to Trump or will they re-tool so that the US produces products the rest of the world want to buy?

And there is no need to boycott chrome-containing products. Chromium itself is harmless. Stainless steel contains 15 to 30% chromium, and there are chrome plating methods that dont use Cr6+.

Jeez, I know I’m late, but thanks for your further exposition on this point.