Home | About | Donate

'Pardon Snowden' Campaign Takes Off as Sanders, Ellsberg, and Others Join

'Pardon Snowden' Campaign Takes Off as Sanders, Ellsberg, and Others Join

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Prominent activists, lawmakers, artists, academics, and other leading voices in civil society, including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), are joining the campaign to get a pardon for National Security Agency (NSA) whistleblower Edward Snowden.

No one should get a pardon until Don Siegelman is released.

The elites will never let this happen. They own us. They own Ed. They haven't changed, except in technique, since the end of the Civil War.

Again

It should never be a crime to disclose a crime
Especially if the crime is classified

Since the vast majority of classified data is
classified as such because it is a crime.

There are only so many equations and engineering designs

There are an infinite number of ways to commit atrocities and crimes against humanity

The fact that former Gov. Siegelman remains in prison because of charges trumped up at the behest of Karl Rove, even under two terms of Barack Obama probably tells us what the chances that the President who has prosecuted more whistle-blowers than all other Presidents combined would consider doing the right thing in this case, and drop all charges against Ed Snowden AND Chelsea Manning, and allow them to receive our thanks publicly and in person here in the U. S., slim to none.

The phrase spitting into the wind works here.

Is it possible to pardon a person who has been indicted but not convicted? One of the reasons Snowden hid his identity and fled is that he was afraid of clandestine execution. He is aware of many "accidental" deaths. He must be held accountable for his honesty and bravery. The Deep State wants no other whistle blowers. B. O. will not pardon, but this effort to extract a pardon is necessary to highlight the criminality of the Deep State again. We, the 99%, must never forget the cage we live in.

Ford pardoned Nixon. Would that start a president?

spell check corrected my precedent.

My understanding is that you don't even need to be indicted to receive a presidential pardon. You can be "pardoned" for any crime you might be prosecuted for in the future relating to a particular act. This applies to Julian Assange as well, who is thought to have a secret indictment waiting in case he ends up in Sweden and Sweden hands him over to Obama.

I think there was discussion about Bush pardoning Scooter Libby, because he waited for him to be indicted and I think convicted first, because it looked better than to pardon him as a way of whisking him out of a courtroom.

It's impossible to spend an hour examining the Obama record and having any respect for Democrats left.

That's how we got President Ford.

A pardon by Obama? Even if Obama granted Ed a pardon, it would most likely be a dirty trick to get Ed back to the states. There is no way in hell I would trust anything Obama granted, like olly olly oxen free. Stay in Russia Ed; for, Russia has something America lacks, culture.

“I became convinced that noncooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation with good.”
― Martin Luther King Jr., The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.

“It was civil disobedience that won them their civil rights.”
― Tariq Ali, The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad

“Civil disobedience, as I put it to the audience, was not the problem, despite the warnings of some that it threatened social stability, that it led to anarchy. The greatest danger, I argued, was civil obedience, the submission of individual conscience to governmental authority. Such obedience led to the horrors we saw in totalitarian states, and in liberal states it led to the public's acceptance of war whenever the so-called democratic government decided on it...

In such a world, the rule of law maintains things as they are. Therefore, to begin the process of change, to stop a war, to establish justice, it may be necessary to break the law, to commit acts of civil disobedience, as Southern black did, as antiwar protesters did.”
― Howard Zinn, You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times

“When EVIL men make bad laws, righteous men disobey them."
Pastor Butch Paugh”
― Tarrin P. Lupo

“if we don’t rebel, if we’re not physically in an active rebellion, then it’s spiritual death.”
― Chris Hedges

“Democracy is not simply a license to indulge individual whims and proclivities. It is also holding oneself accountable to some reasonable degree for the conditions of peace and chaos that impact the lives of those who inhabit one’s beloved extended community.”
― Aberjhani, Splendid Literarium: A Treasury of Stories, Aphorisms, Poems, and Essays

“There is a heady sense of manhood that comes from advancing from apathy to commitment, from timidity to courage, from passivity to aggressiveness. There is an intoxication that comes from standing up to the police at last.”
― David T. Dellinger, From Yale to Jail: The Life Story of a Moral Dissenter

Neither Democratic nor Republican politicians deserve any respect and both groups deserve jail cells.

So what will happen? The idiot public will reelect every incumbent.

The people get what the people deserve.

Eric Snowden is my hero ! If one does not stand for something, then one will fall for anything ! The truth will set us free ! ! !

Snowden had the guts to do what needed to be done. He's a hero, and will always be remembered as such by thinking Americans!

Ed is smart enough to figure out what he wants and what he must do to get it.

Well of course, he out-smarted the US government already. Well, if Ed buys the bait (pardon ) that would be stupid. By the way, I have been following this story through interviews Amy Goodman had with various people involved, etc. Ed would not be in Moscow if for not what happened in Hong Kong. A lot of street smart people. helped Ed in Hong Kong; for, Ed did not have the street smarts to navigate in Hong Kong. You can't learn street smarts from a book! Yes I know he wants to come home. The reality is he can't right now.

Even though the Obomber has prosecuted more whistle-blowers than all previous presidents combined, he will pardon Snowden if it makes him look good to the vast majority and elites, which it currently doesn't, so he won't.