Home | About | Donate

'Pathetic': To Shield Elites From Deserved Ridicule, WHCA Apologizes for Michelle Wolf's Epic Performance

'Pathetic': To Shield Elites From Deserved Ridicule, WHCA Apologizes for Michelle Wolf's Epic Performance

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In the eyes of D.C. media elites, jokes about murderous drone strikes and a war that killed over a million Iraqis fall well within the boundaries of civility, but humor that targets the powerful is completely unacceptable.

Not really impressed. Superficial pseudo-liberalism at work. Personal attack. on Huckabee was uncessary.

There’s no class anymore. Liberalism is dead.

amounted to an intolerable breach of civil discourse

And yet rump breaches it on a daily basis and what do we get from the media…/crickets

“Liberalism is dead.” Ya got that rigth, Von…it’s been replaced by neo-liberalism and all of the damage that does to democracies.

To steal some tennis metaphors; Wolf’s stroke caught the ‘sweet spot’ and her aim did precisely what the humor was intended to do: make those who are stringing the Trump ‘racket’ sing that this ‘racket’ has many meanings.

Somehow I get the feeling that few have studied rhetoric and some intuit its double edges. Wolf reminded that words DO HAVE MEANING!

no class? maybe its just that the WH rhetoric has straight-jacketed language into so narrow a rope that its lost its ‘threads’ and only has a superficial ‘form’ [naked].

Here some breadth to breathe back into “CLASS” - happy reading;)

a really fortuitous misspelling/typo: rigth

I picture [writhe; homonym to typo] the WHPC ‘right’ ‘writhing’ in the mirror of the Wolf humor.

Ooooooh! It seems Ms. Wolf disrupted the discreet calm of the bourgeoisie, their government lackeys and the capitalist corporate media.

Well done, Ms. Wolf! You killed it!

Meanwhile the most crude, rude and vulgar person ever to occupy the US presidency is given a pass. Nothing is out of bounds for Mr. Trump, but criticizing the capitalist class’s political and media representatives is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Again, well done Ms. Wolf!

Considering the vulgar and outright hatred filled attacks from Trump on a daily basis against anyone who he dislikes, Michelle’s little monologue was rather tame in comparison. And as for Sarah Huck-A-BS Sanders who daily stands up as the public voice and lies endlessly for her beloved Trump, Michelle was right on target to call her out in the manner she did. But all of it will come to nothing as the oligarchs sitting in that room with their media lackeys will continue unabated along their path of rape and pillage against anyone who is not in their class. God bless Michelle for having more integrity than anyone in that room to call them all out for what they are. She will likely be that last person to ever be allowed to do so in the circle jerk of the WHCA. May they all rot in hell where they belong.

Meaningless smoke and mirrors. If you care about this, you are missing something else far more important.

Who gives a shit? You respect people that have earned respect, and the target of those jokes were, to a person, horrible people that have done or have provided cover for horrible things.

I know, right? Like, things continue to get worse, and those in power continue to harm people here and around the world, corruption is rife, inequality growing (and those in that room are largely responsible for that), infrastructure is crumbling, we have a pending environmental crisis (which the media doesn’t bother reporting on), etc. Isn’t it outrageous that we don’t conduct ourselves in this way with more class? Can’t we just make everything worse with some dignity? And yes, it certainly does say a heck of a lot about some philosophy, which you don’t even define. This one comedy routine says a heck of a lot about an entire worldview.

Is your stupidity pro bono?

This is a story, but what she said in her routine isn’t the story. The story is the reaction of those she targeted, and all that goes with it. Could you imagine what most Americans would say to the people in that room if they could? Polls don’t lie, people do not like most of the dominant institutions in our society anymore, and those running those institutions got together to party and to tell each other how great they are.

the so-called “free press” in action. When it takes a comic to tell the truth to us all you know we are wallowing in deep shit. Thanks Michelle.

“In an era of universal deceit, telling the truth is a radical act” - George Orwell

Need we say more ?

Jaysus, all this hand ringing about telling the truth to the press???
Puhleeze!
Ms Wolf was effing spot on!
Her comment to SHS was actually quite mild and clever, re the lies, ashes and the smokey eye look.
Her comment about Rachel Maddow was great as well, as Doc Maddow has a very hard time getting to the point.
The snowflake hand ringing…geez, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin would just be too dang much, eh?

Michelle was hilarious, yes, she pushed the limits, but good for her. Sarah H and Kellyanne C were furious. They didn’t think it was the least bit funny. I hadn’t bothered to watch it until today, here’s the best excerpts:

I know there’s a lot of people that want me to talk about Russia and Putin and collusion, but I’m not going to do that because there’s also a lot of liberal media here. And I’ve never really wanted to know what any of you look like when you orgasm.

It is kind of crazy that the Trump campaign was in contact with Russia when the Hillary campaign wasn’t even in contact with Michigan. It’s a direct flight; it’s so close. …

A lot of people want Trump to be impeached. I do not. Because just when you think Trump is awful, you remember Mike Pence. Mike Pence is what happens when Anderson Cooper isn’t gay. … Mike Pence is also very anti-choice. He thinks abortion is murder, …

And, yes, sure, you can groan all you want. I know a lot of you are very antiabortion. You know, unless it’s the one you got for your secret mistress. It’s fun how values can waver. …

I also want to make fun of Democrats. Democrats are harder to make fun of because you guys don’t do anything.

People think you might flip the House and Senate this November, but you guys always find a way to mess it up. You’re somehow going to lose by 12 points to a guy named Jeff Pedophile Nazi Doctor. Oh, he’s a doctor? …

We’ve got our friends at CNN here. Welcome, guys, it’s great to have you. You guys love breaking news, and you did it. You broke it. Good work.

The most useful information on CNN is when Anthony Bourdain tells me where to eat noodles. …

We’ve got MSNBC here. MSNBC’s news slogan is, “This is who we are.” Guys, it’s not a good slogan.

We also have Rachel Maddow. We cannot forget about Rachel Maddow. … She is the Peter Pan of MSNBC. But instead of never growing up, she never gets to the point. Watching Rachel Maddow is like going to Target. You went in for milk, but you left with shampoo, candles and the entire history of the Byzantine Empire. “I didn’t need this.” …

There’s a ton of news right now; a lot is going on, and we have all these 24-hour news networks, and we could be covering everything. But, instead, we’re covering like three topics. Every hour, it’s Trump, Russia, Hillary

You guys are obsessed with Trump. Did you used to date him? Because you pretend like you hate him, but I think you love him. I think what no one in this room wants to admit is that Trump has helped all of you. He couldn’t sell steaks or vodka or water or college or ties or Eric, but he has helped you.

He’s helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster, and now you’re profiting off of him. …

“Pushed the limits” indeed !

The GOP has succeeded in moving the agenda ever rightward by “pushing the limits”.

By never “pushing the limits” left ward the Democrats have been pulled to the right by the GOP to the extent that Obama is more right wing than Nixon was.

Things are going down the shitter and this is the distraction you pay attention to?

What a routine!! Yeah, yeah… I suppose this is speaking truth to power?

Waste of time.

This is what the correspondents dinner is all about. They do it every year. Correspondents, I don’t even know why they call them that anymore, today they’re just TV “personalities,” period. They read script and argue with paid “actors” from supposedly the other side, then go out for drinks. I caught a few minutes of a CNN personality entering the hall in her $6,000 gown, she stopped, primped for the photographers (like she was some Hollywood pinup), and then moved on for the next female in line.

CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc these are overpaid hosting gigs, the females “age out” of these jobs far faster than the males. Their salaries are in the millions per year. This is not what news reporters were paid in the past. And they certainly were not wealthy enough to live next door to Congressmen/women, cabinet members, and have their children in the same expensive private schools. (Might be (no, it is) the reason why they’re so hesitant to report on them.)

For the most part they are not journalists. That is a rare breed that is going extinct. In the day when we had actual journalists, they sure as hell were not earning $30,000 a hour (Maddow, Hayes). Real correspondents/journalists used to report from the front lines. They sought out stories. Today, what passes for “news” on cable TV is just pabulum for the masses, worthless. The real journalists are on the front lines in Syria, Gaza, Afghanistan, or working investigations (Jeremy Scahill) and they’re not getting paid millions to do it.