Home | About | Donate

Paul Ryan Doesn’t Like It When We’re Angry

Paul Ryan Doesn’t Like It When We’re Angry

Mara Pellittieri

Last week, Speaker of the House and all-around nice guy Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) released a video and a statement asking Americans to be more civil to one another. It was part of a push for legislation that Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) introduced a month ago to make July 12 a National Day of Civility.

Mara Pelletieri :

Damn Right!

Mr. Ryan, meet Mr. Pitchfork. Mr. Pitchfork, meet Mr. Ryan!

Dear Representative Ryan:
I respectfully and quite civilly request that you go engage in sexual intercourse with yourself. Have a nice day now.

It is an absurdity to respond to any accusation by affirming it as being valid. The call for civility was by a democrat. The accusation of incivility was by a republican. This article accepts the accusation and offers justifications for its validity!

The Repubs want to tag those who oppose them with the broad brush of an anger that motivated a shooting! It is simply pathetic that they are allowed to associate their opposition with these negative talking points!

Liberals and the left did not and do not go and attempt mass murder because we are angry at losing to Repubs. Any association with that incident should be rejected out of hand by advocates of peace and social justice! This author fell for a media savvy set up and took the bait. Both she and Ryan completely forget about the original sponsorship of civility legislation (resolution?) by Democrat Crist! The meme that is created (implied) by Ryan, a Republican, is anger by the left.

Ryan baited the hook. She took the bait. It would have been better had this woman accused the NRA of encouraging violence in their video and having them be the ones associated with anger and the need for a subsequent call for civility!

Praise you for saying this!!! Yes!!! People don’t realize that the Republicans are desperately trying to “spin” anything they can to keep power. Anger will become a major issue in the near future, and it will be spun out of control! Why does the media always portray Sanders with an angry face? I’m sure he isn’t always looking angry and scowling, but the photos seem to say that he is. Is he “spreading” this anger? Will the left be portrayed soon as “traitors?” and the nice Republicans as peacekeepers? We can be angry and still be civil. Please please be careful people! We are dealing with a corporate coup, and they have all the power and all the money. Our only power is in the truth that we know…they are out to rape the world behind our backs.

Did Ryan discuss or mention the NRA video that explicitly calls for violence and a lack of civility? They want to project negative associations on their opponents! Easier to dismiss criticisms if you can treat them as illegitimate expressions of anger.

Right you are! Today I received an email from a “Christian” friend who was passing on an article she received from a right-wing republican church member. I couldn’t believe it! I was so disgusted by the spin! The language was absurd, and this person is passing that information around to all his fellow church members! it portrays the left and progressives as traitors and says we are a conspiracy to help Satan dominate the world! I was shocked! The future is not looking good to me.

Bawly Pauly Ryan is apparently not stupid. He wants to be president.
I watched the whole speech. (I can;t seem to be good for anything this Sunday Morning)

What is clear from the speech is that he does not want to think things through. More than once he touts how he was wrong about things. One thing he says he has changed on is criminal justice and wants it reformed. That must be a tough sell for his base crowd.

Then he goes right back to supporting Koch talking points, and hails the massive dick Reagan.

Keeping it civil in the highest towers of Ivory thought is the only way to resolve matters. Pauly come lately is touting this for trip to the white house.

When every single legislation passed by his Republican party has been with intimidation, bullying, grandstanding, blowhorning and most of all thoughtlessly toeing the party line.

In the speech he touts the constitution. Which his party has circumvented, especially in Wisconsin, to wrest power in the state houses. Which the republicans have pissed on by not doing their job, by not being present when they had to be. They took a dump on the constitution while belligerently stonewalling Obama’s right wing nominations for the supreme court.

The author is correct in stating that angst may get better ideas to the fore, It is also the symptom of the disease - that the system has been co opted, by people like Ryan. However, resolution and policy cannot be drafted in a state of agitation, anxiety and discomfort.

What Ryan is simply saying is this to his base - Take the higher ground, because the other side has no options left. It will make you look good. And I can then be president.

I’ve been making this point for decades, especially when it comes to war. If I curse a politician for being connected to war crimes, there’s always someone who complains about my language and my negative attitude, and I’ve always said, “what the hell are a few impolite words compared to white phosphorous, land mines and depleted uranium?”

They (and their admirers) think that if they speak calmly and wear a suit, that means they are respectful, respectable people. Neither could be further from the truth.

As for the holiday, I think it’s a wonderful idea. The worst that could happen is it would prove ironic when it becomes another 3-day weekend in summer of drunken belligerence and road rage.

We need a society where 90% of our population are self-sustaining without direct government support.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Care to elaborate, because I don’t get the drift.

Mara Pellittieri Well said.

Funny how the Republicans never called on their “Tea Party” folks to be more civil during the Obama administration.

Great idea! Let’s start by doubling the Federal Minimum Wage. That would be a necessary prerequisite.

Mr. Ryan, meet Madame Guillotine!

Sounds good to me. We can start by eliminating all the corporate welfare and the special perks of our millionaire representatives in Washington.

Anger is not power. Anger is an energy. It is empowering.

Isn’t Trump leading the charge against civility? Didn’t he call for violence against protesters at his rallies? Ryan should direct his comments to the President. The same president who has been silent when white racists have committed violent acts. Most of the violence has been on the right during recent decades including he Oklahoma City bombing, very little has been on the left. Hate crimes by the right are an important issue. The Southern Poverty Law Center has a long list of such crimes. What does Ryan have to say about those crimes? Apparently nothing.

Let us not confuse anger and outrage with incivility and impoliteness. Civility and politeness are marks of someone who can control and focus the energy and empowerment indierocker13 reminds us about. Do we really want people who can’t control their own feelings to have any power over us??