Home | About | Donate

Paul Ryan Doesn’t Like It When We’re Angry

Agreed, Lrx. We can align with with the ideas of civility and politeness touted by Ryan and, thankfully, by you who abhor civil violence, without having to agree at all with the Speaker’s utter hypocrisy in who he chooses to criticize.

"…abhor civil violence…?

I dunno. Full-blown revolutions never go out of style.

1 Like

I read Crist’s statement at http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/341546-promoting-civility-and-practicing-the-golden-rule-every-day and my first reaction is he is completely wasting his time on “bipartisan legislation, H. Res 400, creating a National Day of Civility”. I don’t see this accomplishing anything and there are million other important problems he could be working on since this bill if passed isn’t going to make anybody more civil on that one day, let alone the rest of the year.

There is one reason to be civil in political discourse (and I can’t think of another) - it is to improve your chances of winning. I don’t doubt it can be true some of the time and at other times being civil is counter productive. I don’t think people protesting the Vietnam War would have had better luck if there was no “uncivil” part of that effort.

Did the author “take the bait”? Maybe, but even if so, that isn’t very significant either. I suppose she could have written a very civil response where she outlined her overall positions and popular support for those positions (on getting out of war, Medicare for all, Fair Trade, Renewable Energy, you name it) and contrasted those to Ryan’s positions (and lack of popular support) and then finished it off with an "I’ll be glad to hold a civil discussion with you if you are willing to listen and respond to the people’s majority view - until that time, I’m sure you can understand my need to shout.

I personally would like to live in a pretty civil society if important wrongs were righted. I’ve always been one to cringe when a questioner at an event lets their anger interfere with an effective question. But unless I see evidence that screaming is never an effective strategy, I’ll take the screaming over the injustices we have now.

Of course he is wasting his time but he does so as a politician. He tried to take the high road. Ryan took the low road and out maneuvered Crist, pushing Crist into the background. It now became news about what Ryan had said concerning civility not Crist. Ryan pointed the finger and baited the hook with set up questions and comments. Ryan reestablished the context by taking the narrative away from Crist. From that point on, the Repubs appeared to be the ones wanting civility.

Heard the number 1 GOP savior on the radio today, and Rush said, “So the war now is between the patriots and the progressives.”

So you can be conservative and a patriot, or a liberal and a traitor.

It means that <10% of our population should be receiving direct government financial aid at any one time.

Great opinion. 0 facts. Nice try, pal.