Home | About | Donate

Paul Ryan’s Push for Workforce Development Is a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Paul Ryan’s Push for Workforce Development Is a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Angela Hanks

This week, Politico reported that House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-OH) appears to be attempting to repackage cuts to Medicaid, food assistance, and affordable housing as “workforce development.” If it were a sincere effort, the idea of offering more workforce development would make sense: It’s good for workers, and it’s actually a popular idea (Ryan himself has acknowledged that openly calling for Medicaid cuts was

So true. Excellent article.

He needs to be sentenced for life as an average American.

There is an error in the first sentence of this post.

"This week, Politico reported that House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-OH) appears to be attempting to repackage cuts to Medicaid, food assistance, and affordable housing as “workforce development.” Paul Ryan was voted into power by the state of Wisconsin not Ohio. Damn them all to hell !!! And I believe he is up for re-election in Nov 2018

From what I’ve heard on local news, there is indeed a skills gap–very few qualified applicants for skilled labor jobs, and a ton in unskilled labor and service-sector, which obviously pays less.

And I see it, too. Job opportunities that require skills that aren’t offered by community colleges; at best, maybe a couple of vo-tech high schools.

Of course, now would be the time for innovation and investment in training programs, especially if it’s true we’re finally out of the recession and especially true if there’ve been recent wage increases over-all with stagnation in the lower-paying jobs.

Ryan’s “workforce development” is right in line with the chained consumer price index (CPI) he has been pushing for two decades and has now included in December’s Inequality Exacerbation Act (IEA) disguised as tax reform.

The chained CPI eliminates future cost of living increases for employees and beneficiaries.

You mean he moved from Wisconsin to Ohio? I guess IronStache really does have him running scared!

You never know. The news is out that former MA governor Mitt Romney, who lives in NH, is considering running for office in UT, because of all the states where he owns property, that’s the one where the polling is most in his favor.

You’re probably right (about the property angle) but that is seriously disgusting, whether it’s Ryan or Romney’s property, b/c we have millions of families who don’t have a roof over their heads. it is unconscionable if Ryan does own property in Ohio that he would work so hard to take everything away from the peons that are his constituents! This sonofabitch seriously needs to be fired and never allowed to return!

I like that. We are not even out of the recession caused by people like him

This piece of non human garbage is nothing but a Koch drunk .

I remember when he was govenor- what a sad excuse of a human- did not blend with the people of MA at all. What is he doing in N. H. ? I know Scotty Brown bought property there which is a hoot in itself.

I thought he was from Wisconsin-

I have heard that some high schools have eliminated programs such as auto tech, and even cosmetology. These programs were provided at regular high schools not just tech. We need to bring them back. Also, not everybody is skilled at hi tech. I once hard a CEO say on TV something to the effect : Robots can do the labor jobs- let humans do the thinking jobs. He thought everyone should be an engineer. Guess he lives on another planet. Also, remember- with all this stress on hi tech- who is going to know how to grow food, actually do labor by hand?

We have millions of elders who do not have a roof either.

This rear end Ryan seems to have “forgotten” that you cannot work without a roof over your head and food on the table!

You sound like a rethug actually. There are high skilled jobs like teachers ; some of whom have not seen a raise in over a decade. The so called skills gap does not explain everything especially since millions of people have lost their jobs not because they lacked skills, but because of the recession and greed( plus overpopulation- too few resources for too many people).

Perhaps Ryan should consider Maslow’s hierarchy of needs- that you need basics BEFORE you can get trained to have a job.