Home | About | Donate

'Pay Your Workers a Living Wage': Sanders Blasts Walmart Executives to Their Faces at Annual Shareholder Meeting

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/05/pay-your-workers-living-wage-sanders-blasts-walmart-executives-their-faces-annual

3 Likes

Go Bernie!

Bernie 2020

13 Likes

Speaking Truth to Power consistently! My mind is made up and has been for quite some time. During the 2016 cycle, he showed how he intended to fund his initiatives with great specificity on his campaign website.
BERNIE 2020!
VOTE PROGRESSIVE! NOW AND FOR FOREVER!

10 Likes

Rachel Brand…Dear…Even the Primitive Societies understood

According to the Egyptians, after you died the god [Anubis]would put your soul (it looks like a tiny naked person in some pictures, or a heart) on one side of a giant scale and he would put a feather the other side. Then Thoth (Truth?) would decide where you should go. The more bad things you had done in your life, the heavier your soul would be. If it was heavier than the feather, then you would have to go to the bad place. Prof Carr

3 Likes

…and in their faces! Lol.
But I doubt they have the humanity to understand it and take it to heart. You’d have to have a heart to take anything there

1 Like

You can’t legislate morality or mandate fairness, true change must be made in the human heart.
The problem here is monopoly ,where is the fair competition in the market place.
Governments should have just said no to Wallmart opening hundreds of stores .
In Italy this would never have happened. Let’s get back to localised small economies ,decentralised systems that are for the many not the few .

6 Likes

15 bucks an hour, eh? Get this:
:
House Democrats propose $4,500 pay raise for Congress…
House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year!

3 Likes

Real Change doesn’t happen “incrementally” like Pelosi and the other Neoliberals want you to believe.

Rosa Parks did not move to the front of the bus - Incrementally.

11 Likes

Why does this surprise you? Any group in power is only interested in retaining and expanding their power.

Our “representatives” represent themselves first, and their “consitutents” only to the extent that it serves their power.

3 Likes

Hi Guitman:
Since they start at 174,000 that would be $178,500. Of course that’s the new people.I don’t know how much Mitch or Nancy make.

It would be nice if WHEN the minimum wage level is raise that it be raised to $20 instead of $15. It’s more fun to say $20 in 2020. : ) WHY? Well, with $20, the 12,000 more homeless people in L.A. that are living in cars and tents might, for example, might be able to afford rent.

3 Likes

Thank you Bernie…Please continue to speak up for those who are not given the chance to speak.
We must continue to stand up for justice and defend the rights of all people, including the Walmart workers.

10 Likes

This is even whiter than the Alabama senate.

https://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/leadership

1 Like

While it is a beginning, $15 an hour is not a living wage.

6 Likes

The “Walmart Family” is worth $163 billion (at least). What a bunch of cheapskates! This country is presently occupied by the wealthy. We need some type of revolution to share the wealth people like this have made, and continue to make, off the backs of the poor and disadvantaged.

3 Likes

It is very important that Sanders is elected in 2020 to bring the US back from the brink of corporatist despotism and to at least make a start on restoring a stable climate to Earth.

Sanders is asking citizens for a committment to back him pre and post election in his fight against powerful corporatist interests - getting everybody geared up for the essential ‘political revolution’.
But then in the next breath pledges to support the DNC’s chosen presidential candidate,
We all know what the corrupt DNC staged in 2016, and we would be naive fools to think that this won’t happen again in 2020 - Bernie will be cheated out of the 2020 nomination.
So when a corporate stooge like Biden is the DNC nominee Bernie will desert his millions of donors and urge them to vote for continued corrupt governance that will destroy civilization and ultimately the livable climate.

Not good enough Bernie - this is about US - not YOU.

You jilted your followers at the democratic alter in 2016 - this time such surrender is simply unacceptable. One can’t do deals with the devil - you will get burnt, and so will we citizens.
DNC criminals will exploit your ‘ethical life’ practice for their own political gain - but this time the stakes are too high - you must not let it pass.

Your ethically high minded pledge to support a corrupt DNC ruling is in effect a sellout of everything you stand for - and your poor (still struggling) donors … and the planet!

3 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed about Bernie. He is a good man. I don’t think it’s all about him as you say. I think one of the reasons Bernie capitulated to Hillary is because he doesn’t like getting into petty fights with other politicians. He is all about the issues to make a better life for working people, etc. With the exception of trump, he rarely mentions names of fellow politicians who are corrupt. Did he take the high road in 2016? I don’t know, but I’m hoping he is our next president.

4 Likes

Hi JohnB:
I don’t think that Bernie will fall for the lies of the corporate Dems again : )

1 Like

Nice one

2 Likes

Bernie is unequivocal on his pledge to support the DNC nominated candidate;
See https://youtu.be/Nx7X7dD9Gp0?t=1993
In the light of a DNC lawyer saying openly in a court in 2017 “…that if the party wanted to do things like the old days and pick a candidate over cigars in back rooms, it would be within their legal rights to do so” Sanders absolute concession is untenable - the DNC ‘backroomers’ have no right to overrule the citizen’s rightful efforts to save our society and planet.

Sanders should make it clear that his undertaking only applies if proper, fair democratic process is followed - any improper conduct would mean he will fulfill his higher moral responsibility to humanity (and his supporters) by running as a 3rd party independent.

2 Likes

It’s a private club, and you ain’t in it

1 Like