Home | About | Donate

Peace On The Far Side Of Nuclear Weapons

Peace On The Far Side Of Nuclear Weapons

Robert C. Koehler

“Nuclear disarmament is the most urgent humanitarian necessity of our time.”

"The 1968 Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty called on the nuclear powers to “pursue nuclear disarmament,” apparently at their own leisure. Half a century later, nukes are still the bedrock of their security. They’ve pursued nuclear modernization instead." (Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images)

The key truth in the article is summed up in the line:

In other words, how nice, but it has nothing to do with the real stuff going on across Planet Earth

No Nuclear Power is going to voluntarily cease to be a Nuclear Power. They should rename the Nobel the “Nobel Wishful Thinking” Prize.

oh, i’m convinced! however the united states owns the single largest stockpile of nuclear weapons ever amassed on this our earth and those who exercise decision making power are too afraid to disarm. more than they fear kim jong-un or putin they fear the loss of their material wealth and prestige. those who have the most to lose fear the most. i will not allow these cowardly sociopaths to deflect their fear onto me. i’ll live my life as joyfully as possible believing that no one is so stupid as to start a nuclear war.

and if i’m wrong i’ll worry when and if that time comes–and not a minute before. :sunglasses:

Actually, not quite correct in the details. Russia has more nuclear weapons than the US (assuming that large numbers of them were neither stolen, nor sold on the black market).

Personally, I have no more faith in the good will of Putin than I do of Trump. As I said, no Nuclear Power is going to give up its weapons.