Home | About | Donate

Pentagon Secrecy Around Covid-19 at Guantanamo Just One More Reason to Shut Offshore Prison, Say Senate Dems

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/18/pentagon-secrecy-around-covid-19-guantanamo-just-one-more-reason-shut-offshore

2 Likes

And they could not have shut it when Obama was President, WHY?

4 Likes

Incarceration and Infection don’t make good bedfellows.

America seems never to learn from its mistakes, for which they never admit nor apologize. The list is long, and the stains run deep.

3 Likes

Shutdown GITMO. Then shutdown the Pentagon.

3 Likes

Here’s what Biden said regarding closing Guantanamo. I don’t consider this much of a commitment and I feel pretty sure that Biden/Harris will leave it open, but I’ve heard others who are supportive of the Democrat Party, claim Biden’s is certain to close it.

“You have to have congressional authority to do it,” Biden (_https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/12/20/transcript-december-democratic-debate/)

If Biden/Harris do close Guantanamo, my sense is that they will just transfer prisoners to a US based detention without charge / torture center.

1 Like

So let me get this straight.
Democratic members of Congress requested information from the Pentagon about GitMo, but before they received a response, they help pass a $760+ billion Pentagon funding bill, then the Pentagon gives them the middle finger.
Idiots, one and all.

1 Like

The latest out of the Pentagon.

They have released a report claiming that the USA was in dire straits militarily when compared to China and that they would likely lose a shooting war with China in the South China sea.

They claimed they did not have the resources to adequately defend Taiwan from a Chinese invasion. They pointed out that China outspends Taiwan on their Military meaning it would be impossible for Taiwan to prevail.

Ok so China outspends Taiwan about ten to one so will wipe Taiwan out and the USA outspends China 5 to one but will lose a shooting war to China. Something does not add up.

Obviously this “dire report” was released to justify even more Military spending.

2 Likes

Hi SuspiraDeProfundis:
SadIy, the Pentagon seems to be fuII of many who feeI that the Pentagon does not have to answer to anyone, Has DHS taken over the Pentagon too? And oh yes, United Nations—why have peopIe become prisoners without trial and evidence? How are peopIe who cIearIy have no terrorist background-----how and why are they even here?
Both the U.S. and IsraeI have turned into Nazis----------and Congress is now mostIy a group of Igors… sitting around and eating fIies as this Frakenstein worId grows ever Iarger. : (

1 Like