Home | About | Donate

'People Are Going to Die': Father of Wounded DAPL Activist Sophia Wilansky Speaks Out

'People Are Going to Die': Father of Wounded DAPL Activist Sophia Wilansky Speaks Out

Nika Knight, staff writer

Sunday's brutal police assault against peaceful Dakota Access Pipeline activists left one water protector, Sophia Wilansky, at risk of losing an arm, and her distraught father spoke out Tuesday and Wednesday against the shocking show of force and demanded government action.

"Is devastating policy brutality against water protectors in North Dakota a harbinger of what's to come when Donald Trump takes office?" Ummm... in case you haven't noticed, devastating police brutality is here NOW!

From EcoWatch:
Hundreds of Veterans to Join Water Protectors at Standing Rock to Protest Dakota Access Pipeline

From MintPress:
Veterans Are Joining Forces With Standing Rock Protestors In North Dakota

From ZeroHedge:
Hundreds Of Veterans Heading To Standing Rock To Defend DAPL Protesters From Police

GoFundMe page for donations:
Veterans for Standing Rock #NoDAPL

"In response to the assertion of treaty rights, citizen rights, tribal rights and protection of the most valuable of resources, water, the Sioux tribes and allied comrades, are under sustained assault by agents of and working for private interests under the color of law. First Americans have served in the United States Military, defending the soil of our homelands, at a greater percentage than any other group of Americans. There is no other people more deserving of veteran support and this situation encapsulates whether we are called heroes for violence and cashing paychecks or for justice and morality."

“Come to Standing Rock Indian Reservation and hold the line with Wes Clark jr, Michael Wood Jr, Tulsi Gabbard and hundreds of other veterans in support of the Sioux nation against the DAPL pipeline. Bring Body armor, gas masks, earplugs AND shooting mufflers (we may be facing a sound cannon) but no drugs, alcohol or weapons.”

I really do not like how the story tries to spin this into something to do with the Trump Presidency.

It can not be a harbinger of things to come if it already happens under Obama.

What this demonstrates is that with either a democrat or republican in office the Police state will put the property rights of the Corporation above the peoples right to clean waster.

Elevating property rights over all others had been the policy of multiple administrations.

Hell of a way to spend Thanksgiving, a time for giving thanks for living in this great country, and sharing its prodigal gifts and wonders. And a young woman gets her arm blown off by a grenade for trying to protect the right of the Lakota people to clean water, and the peaceful enjoyment of their land? God help her and her family, and all of the other people who risk their lives everyday standing up to the forces of militarized greed. If the government can't be moved to end this madness, what do we do? How do we stop it?

When it comes to corporations vs. citizens, Obama again shows what side he's on.

However it happened, and whatever Morton Co. Sheriff Kirchmeier tries to make of it, the circumstance of injuring the daughter of a NYC lawyer is bound to be a turning point. For one thing, in this era of ultra-local press, it's provided a local angle in a major coastal city (I've already heard it in the local portion of the half-hour update on WNYC). For another, well, her dad's a lawyer. Things will be done. Let's just hope Wilansky Esq. can see beyond his daughter's bedside to the cause for which she put her life at risk.

I'm afraid Standing Rock is to be used as an object lesson to We the People in a Fascist, perhaps Nazi nation under Trump.
* "See what happens to you when you interfere with profits and investments? Shut up, stay home, and above all, do what you are told, without question. This can happen to you!"
* The Water Protectors are being sealed in, in essence walled off from help, from communication. Look at almost any nation the Wehrmacht has invaded and you will see the same thing. Ever increasing pressure, with no concern for "collateral damage," just the mission, to enforce obedience through fear and intimidation.
* Look at the international appeals that have been made for humane treatment, in Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan. Doctors Without Borders send the GPS locations of their hospitals and aid stations. Result? Accurate attacks on the facilities. Food and medical supplies interdicted and either destroyed or turned back.
* Look at the Phoenix Program in Vietnam. Everything points to development and training for eventual use here in the US Fourth Reich, should We the People get enough backbone to revolt.
* The brave peace warriors of the Dakotas and other nations have used prayer and song, no weapons in their protest against the destruction of their holy land and their water. Each time, the SA has reacted with an increase in force, an attempt to dehumanize the Protectors. A ghetto is being formed. A concrete wall across the one road where the Protectors could get help, ambulances, fire equipment. I think we are not far away from drones, helicopters, perhaps concentration camps. All to teach us a lesson.
;-})

Maybe President Obama is doing the same as then Senator Clinton did when she heard about abuses on Wall Street. She went don't there and told them to stop it. Perhaps President Obama is doing the same with Energy Transfer Partners. When the president is done wagging his finger at them, he may want to stamp his feet or hold his breath.

History repeats itself over, and over, and over again. White men with money and power attacking the Native Americans/First Nations people, poisoning their water, taking their lands, and all-the-while making empty promises. The only changes are the methodology and the weapons used; the end goals remain the same and the results just as destructive, disastrous, and irreversible. Yet our nation's "leadership" stands by with their backs turned, heads down, and hands in their pockets rattling their change.

I truly fear that you are correct in your dissemination.I also do not believe Obama will lift a finger, other than to shoot a bird to us on his way out. I do however pray that the presence of veterans will, at the very least, make the paramilitary cowards think twice about their actions. Think twice about hurting innocent, unarmed and peaceful protectors. Yet due to the way this country has treated and continues to treat veterans...I must think twice as well! This is new world water and every drop counts.

My thought exactly when I read that sentence.

Clearly a case of our government, that we pay for, attacking its citizens. Also clearly the result of people who are allowed to be free in the USA after authorizing, allowing, legalizing, praising, condoning, and the actually act of real terrorizing by torture. Ours leaders no less. As long as they remain free and not brought into the justice system its the wild west and anything goes. There is no accountability. If you sprayed your dog with a water hose for 8 hours when its 22 degrees you go to jail for animal cruelty. ND thinks its okay to do to humans. Avoid that state.

Its getting ugly. Unless we hold our representatives and their hirelings legally accountable (Clinton Foundation wink wink, Bush & admin. for waterboarding) we as citizens and humans will diminish to the point of collateral damage. (Are we there yet, Mommy?) This is the result of such a lack of respect for life and elevation of property to an idol of god.

Either way, it's coming, thanks to some voters.

Lets hope that Sophia Wilansky has the best medical out come possible. Lets look forward to Sophia's strengths in standing up to her disability and associated mental assault but then stand up for her right to do what she was doing without some lowlife ripping her arm off. I am sure she will have her dad, a lawyer, at her back when she and her legal teams take Morton Co. and Sheriff Kirchmeier to the cleaners and then jail.

A harbinger of things to come? This is all happening while Obama stands by and does nothing, apparently more concerned with legitimizing Trump. The indigenous peoples have been undergoing this kind of colonial oppression and dispossession since 1607 - over 400 years! If Obama fails to stop this out-of control, militarized police violence then he is complicit in the on-going genocide of the indigenous people - no Mother Earth, No Life.

Put more people on the ground in ND. Older folks, have you lived a good life? Better we should risk/sacrifice ours than trash the kids...

The one does not preclude the other.

I appreciate the grim humor. Amazing how the finally undeniable horror is loosening some of us up! Who knows what might happen next....

That's all he could possibly be given credit for...at the very most....His words to the unwise P-E indicate how verrrrry complex is POTUS..... Ah, gee...my heart goes out to the both of them...I wonder if either of them would ever risk a limb to protect America's drinking water....