Home | About | Donate

People Power, the Solution to Climate Inaction

People Power, the Solution to Climate Inaction

Rob McCreath

BRISBANE, Australia- Nothing is more important to farmers like me than the weather. It affects the growth and quality of our crops and livestock, and has a major impact on global food supply.

The world’s weather is being messed up by global warming, mainly caused by the burning of fossil fuels, which releases heat-trapping gases into the atmosphere.

It would help if you made a list of good places to park our money.

"It’s called divestment, which is simply the opposite of investment. Here’s how it works."
Sell your car/SUV.

Damn right! I looked at several "green" funds at Schwab, they had no earnings, no volumes, and so it is hard to invest.

Yes, what hope is there... I'm sorry, I agree with most of what you said, that this has to happen on all levels... but, I do think that this is AN EMERGENCY.... so, why not do, say, executive actions... like anyone making over say, 250,000 a year, has to put renewables on their homes or businesses..... something along those lines... cause, if we make it law for car insurance and for health insurance now.... then, I think this would have to be legal.... cause, WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.... I don't know, I just think that too many of our politicians are chickens.... and will not take the plunge.... as a lot of individuals.... i think my carbon foot print is pretty small, but,... it could be smaller, but... I am really a "little person" as far as money goes.... so, it's hard for me to do much else... especially until my daughter graduates.... but...after that, I can make even more changes.... THERE NOTHING MORE PERMANENT THAN CHANGE.... RIGHT?...

Good sentiment but selling shares will not drive down share prices, As the p/e ratio falls, it will be bought by others. Share prices are primarily determined by the profits and/or expected future profits of the companies.

Also, share prices do not affect the company's ability to borrow money whether through a new bond offering or from a bank. Only profits and/or expected future profits do.

There is one obvious thing that every individual can do. In fact it is more powerful than driving an electric car or using low wattage bulbs, recycling and that sort of thing. Simply get off meat. The meat industry puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than all cars, jets, and all other forms of transportation combined.

My post was a reply to the Initiate. Somehow I managed to reply to the wrong poster...

And no one can eat meat and pretend to be an environmentalist.

Been off meat since 1977 for red meat and 1980 for chicken.... I do eat some fish... like two or three times a month.

I am still waiting for the Connecticut state legislature to pass legislation permitting towns to organize community solar gardens. Our most of the state utility Northeast Utilities objects because they are afraid it will hurt them. They are already a transmission and distribution ONLY utility, so it is not competition. I hope that encouraging or even requiring each community solar garden to include energy storage so it can act like a combination of a generator selling power on the next day market, the 3-day standby emergency power market, and the 2-hour market and an aggregator (brokering electric power supply and demand) will calm the utilities fears. If we ever get the enabling legislation and my town organizes a community solar garden, I have $15,000 sitting in a savings account getting way less than 1% annual interest that I want to invest.

America's leading contribution to catastrophic climate change is our excessive dependence on privately-owned motor vehicles, which defines middle class life/status. High fuel prices and/or efforts to reduce traffic can end political careers. Global warming is caused by adding excessive amounts of soot and oil particles into the atmosphere. This is what you do every time you turn the ignition key in your vehicle. Since at least the 1970s, middle classers have fought every effort to invest in building affordable modern mass transportation systems.

The earth needs more people like you.