Home | About | Donate

People Take to Streets in Resistance as ICE Raids Descend on Los Angeles

People Take to Streets in Resistance as ICE Raids Descend on Los Angeles

Nika Knight, staff writer

Protesters took to the streets in Los Angeles on Thursday evening after Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) reportedly raided homes and communities around the city and detained over 100 people in a mere three hours.

This is the top tyrant's vengeful way of getting back at the ruling banning his execution order on immigration. ICE has been ordered to conduct raids nationwide in a vile, inhumane, vindictive effort to cast out "the other." How many businesses nationwide depend on the labor of immigrants (documented or not) to function? A hell of a lot in the major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Miami, Dallas, etc. Will those businesses be pleased with the emperor's actions?

The real tragedy is the horrific damage that is done to families, entire communities, and our nation.

My heart hurts.

I hadn't heard about LA, but a pastor I trust says "The ICE raids have begun in Austin [TX]." Not only is his city a declared sanctuary, Jim and his congregation sheltered this mother and child until they were given a stay of deportation. I don't believe Hilda has any "felony" of any kind on her record.

https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10154526811411939/

I stand in solidarity with all the undocumented immigrants as I think of my own paternal grandfather who jumped ship because of discriminatory immigration laws when he came here. Immigration laws only favored lily-white Europeans at the time. Any deportation should be left to the First Nations and the likes of Trump may well be deported back to Germany. Adios Vulgar sexual predator!

After much traveling in overcrowded places, one might find another aspect of immigration bans besides stupid racism.

But I can't understand why little is heard about the reasons people emigrate. Reasons like imperial wars that force people to leave their homes to save themselves and their families from bombs and devastation. And to escape great inequality. Reasons like conservative religionist bans on education and family planning that cause the overcrowding and resulting destruction of the environment that gives life.

Some might think that immigrants that bring these habitat destroying conservative habits here should not be welcome. That we have enough unsustainability with conservatives in the American Regime.

I grew up in a Baptist Church long before that same church was hijacked by a fundamentalist pastor that directed selling the historic building and building a hideously gaudy megachurch. My mom, a member since her childhood left after she realized that the message of compassion and service to the needy had been kicked out the door.

The pastor of my childhood would have been considered quite on the left today, as he openly sided with the civil rights movement raging during that time.

I don't believe I've ever shaken Jim Rigby's hand, though we certainly worked together and may have sat together during the GLBT struggle in our Presbyterian Church (USA). I treasure what we call the "connectional" structure of our denomination, in which John Fife could lead the first-wave sanctuary movement at Southside PC, Tucson (still a sanctuary church) and after being arrested for that work, elected moderator of our General Assembly. The background of another GA moderator was in border missions, after the time for which the denomination's leading board between GAs has just apologized to indigenous peoples everywhere. And the director of our Office of Public Witness in DC, J. Herbert Nelson, arrested repeatedly for civil disobedience, is now our top legal officer, the Stated Clerk. The church includes many less visible campaigners for justice, and many in other issue areas. I don't think djt knew he was associating with us when he reclaimed his baptism and confirmation.

Dear Mr. Trump and Company:
We the people invite you to read and consider this the Statue of Liberty Poem and perhaps allow the words thereof to be absorbed in your hardened hearts that they might thereby be softened to Christian compassion for the less fortunate of God's children:

Also known as the Statue of Liberty poem, New Colossus and its famous last lines have become part of American history. Here is the sonnet in its entirety:

New Colossus
statue of liberty poem

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

As Always Stunning

Thank You

My grandmother was an illegal immigrant from Canada when she was 20 , coming here while working for a Canadian tea company and staying after meeting my grandfather. Never did get legal before dying 73 years later. Had 3 kids who had 14 kids, who then had 40 , etc. among them an ambassador, a general, 4 west point graduates, couple of entrepreneurs, 10 veterans among them covering 5 wars. Overall she was an asset in the 20th century. Illegal.

I get increased border security and deporting those convicted of serious crimes more severe than having false papers, but a little common sense please. Might be kicking out the future mother of the next Einstein or even President

It is hard to know if any increase in deportation actions is taking place, In 2012 under Obama 409,849 people were deported. That is an average of 1,123 people a day. So is routine activity making the news or has deportation activity been stepped up to a new level?

Good question, tough to say. I am no immigration expert, but as my weak understanding goes, Congress increased money in the budget for border enforcement and upped the so-called "bed quota" substantially after Republicans took over the House. So you can say more people were deported under Obama, but really, you can also say more people were deported after immigration hardliners began funding and directing more deportations in the budget. Obama's dreamers EO was a way of mitigating the effects of these budgets, but the Courts told him no. The President's job is to enforce the law, after all.

The Statue of Liberty is a French lady in bronze who has yet to receive her visa to set foot on the mainland of the USA. Very symbolic.Egalite, Fraternite and Liberte have no place these days on the USAian maiinland.

According to the LA times "roughly 75% of the people arrested this week had prior felony convictions for crimes that included “sex offenses, assault, robbery and weapons violations.” Most of the 161 people arrested this week had been targeted for removal based on past criminal convictions, but Marin admitted a few people were swept up because they were found to be undocumented while other arrests were being carried out."

So it's either that, or, during a random sweep it turns out that 75% of the "undocumented" have prior felony convictions.

ICE didn't even tell the truth about the LA sweep in the first place. Now you're going take on face value a claim that over 100 people rounded up in one day have serious felony convictions, including violent crimes? Like Mrs Rayos?

The Rayos case at least suggests a change.

I guess any enterprising journalist could go check arrest and felony records. Let's see what they find out. Did 75% of those picked up have prior felony convictions? My best guess is nobody is gonna follow up cuz it doesn't fit the PC narrative.

I would be more interested why those people were still in the country to begin with. Let's investigate that while we're at it.

And guess what? If someone is in a country illegally (any country) they can be deported at any time. It's a fact of life they have to live with. Sometime it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't for Ms. Reyes. She had been under a deportation order since 2013 so it was just a matter of time.

Ms. Reyes's felony conviction was for making up a Social Security number, so she could have taxes withheld from her pay, just like you except she could never collect. And yes, she was meeting the terms of that deportation order, reporting regularly to ICE. The only difference for her was that they snatched her this time.

The difference in LA (and Austin, and elsewhere) is that they're knocking on doors, terrifying children. That's what generates resistance among those of us with nothing to fear in this country or back in places where life was awful.

Good point.I guess they could pick them up at work and fine the employer a hefty sum at the same time.

Umm, she has SSN so she could collect any time. If she files taxes she's gonna get a refund and any tax credits a legal resident would get.

I was talking about FICA taxes. You think people like Lupe Rayos file for retirement, disability, or even unemployment? Hah.