Home | About | Donate

'People Will Mobilize Again' as Trump Greenlights DAPL and KXL

'People Will Mobilize Again' as Trump Greenlights DAPL and KXL

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

This post may be updated.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday signed executive orders advancing the controversial Keystone XL (KXL) and Dakota Access (DAPL) pipelines, prompting cries of outrage and vows of resistance from the Indigenous activists, climate campaigners, and countless others who have voiced opposition to these projects.

LET'S MARCH! "Saturday, April 29th, we will come together for one massive march to bring our demands to the streets of Washington, D.C. We will march for our families. We will march for our air, our water, and our land. We will march for clean energy jobs and climate justice. We will march for our communities and the people we love. And we will be louder and stronger than ever before."

"Trump’s election is a threat to the future of our planet, the safety of our communities, and the health of our families. If the policies he proposed on the campaign trail are implemented, they will destroy our climate, decimate our jobs and livelihoods, and undermine the civil rights and liberties won in many hard fought battles."

Save the Date People's Climate March April 29th

Looks to me like Trump has now declared all out war! The non-violent, water protectors vs. the violent, water destroyers!

If all the murder protester laws go through, there's goibg to be a body count that mqss media will have to black out.

Donald Trumps appalling action is a set-back, but the struggle continues. President Obama and Democrat lawmakers also deserve critique for not doing more to support indigenous peoples. For example: Why didn't President Obama officially concede the indigenous rights to the land 'guaranteed' by the Fort Laramie treaty?

It's going to be four years of Hell. We don't want Donnie Tiny Hands impeached and removed because that would give us Pence - who would be worse. Trump has both houses of Congress, and not enough renegades in the Republican Party to stop whatever he wants to do. All we can do is gear up to take back one or both Houses in 2018, and defeat him in 2020, along with taking back enough statehouses to control the 2020 redistricting against the GOP. I would urge disaffected Democrats to join me in the "#Demexit" to the Green Party. The establishment Democratic Party does not want us, so we need to leave en mass and make the Green Party the new party of average, working people, for the people, and not the oligarchs. I promise, the 2018 Green Party is going to be a very different, and serious effort to become the viable progressive choice. There are a lot of us who supported Bernie who have gone over to make that happen.

Media and documentaries will be valuable instruments in building alliances.
Its SUNDANCE time!
VICE is debuting a series "RISE" at Sundance

I don't know if anyone here has read Nixonland, but if you haven't, it's worth doing. The pipeline jobs are union ones. Having protesters out there blocking a pipeline for oil that's going to be shipped one way or the other plays right into the best of what Nixon did. It divides union (labor) from perspective allies on the Left, while making the protesters look unreasonable to a vast majority of Americans.

Republicans won the election and fossil fuel investment preference is their policy. We don't have an evil neolib in the White House who might listen to a broader constituency anymore. We have a guy who, like Nixon, hates the Left and is going to seek ways to find division points any way he can.

I'm not sure how much thought Trump puts into these things, but Steve Bannon certainly thought into them.

I posted, before the election, that it was just a matter of time before Bernie would be ousted, because he joined the most corrupt, democratic party. And I have no proof of why Bernie said he was backing HRC " we can't afford to let Trump win" when he was no doubt, the stronger candidate, but I suspect that Bernie was somehow corrupted to sell out to a woman that was total anathema to what he said he stood for!

All we can do now is mobilize for 2018

The EIS (Environmental Impact Assessment ...) is in place. The deadline for comments is Feb 20 2017. It could take up to two years to study the environmental effects, treaty rights, water rights, and reasonable alternative routes of the Dakota Access Pipelin. etc.

Come to a CANDLELIGHT VIGIL Jan. 25, tomorrow, 6-8pm, at the ARCH, Washington Sq. Park, NYC, to mourn and resist this executive order advancing the DAPL. We stand with the water protectors of Standing Rock.
facebook #noDAPL.nyc

Dave Archambault II sez: "President Trump is legally required to honor our treaty rights ..."

That would be a first.

Mni Wiconi!
Water is Life!
Corporations are Death.:skull_crossbones:
;-})

By 2018, there will probably be little or nothing to save. If we haven't died in a nuclear holocaust, the eight old men who now own forty percent of the world will have it all.
;-})

I don't think the President plans to follow the normal timeline for regulatory approval. In fact, he plans to eliminate most protective regulations. The best chance for a delay will be in the courts.

The time for Marching is over, we need more coordinated legal actions. We willl need massive non violent demonstrations and actions at the construction sites. the orange anus won't be moved by street actions. We need to get into the "system" unless someone has a better idea

Yes, people will mobilize.
Think it's more futility, mostly because of this:
“I think we’re headed for at least an 8.7° C global average temperature rise within the next decade.” Guy McPherson (not saying he's right; don't know; but that it's even being said by a prof emeritus.)

Also futile per this quote set:
"In general, the men of lower intelligence won out. Afraid of their own shortcomings and of the intelligence of their opponents, so that they would not lose out in reasoned argument or be taken by surprise by their quick-witted opponents, they boldly moved into action. Their enemies, on the contrary, contemptuous and confident in their ability to anticipate, thought there was no need to take by action what they could win by their brains." – Thucydides 460 – 395 BCE

Phillip Tetlock tweet, 1.23.17: "straight from Machiavelli: Lions make history. And the hedgehogs and foxes quarrel over how best to make sense of what the lions have done"
That tweet references this from Karl Rove:
"We're the empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality--judiciously, as you will--we'll act again, creating other realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

Makes me rage, and simultaneously, painfully, see the truth in what Rove is saying. But again, per McPherson, etc.; what's the point of revolution, violent or not.

Wrote these a few years back:
Collapse Sensing: http://ow.ly/DNkY306ZYEP
My Letter of Resignation: http://ow.ly/FkOt308iRjM

This should help Trump politically. Of course the unions support the pipelines. And the polls have always shown that most Americans support Keystone. Where Trump will get hurt politically is trying to roll back regulations that protect water and air. People are very concerned about their health. Fighting climate change on the supply side is lost cause anyway and it is easy to see how a change in leadership completely undermines that effort. You can only win the fight on the demand side. Making the transition to renewable energy, improving energy efficiency, etc is how to win. It eliminates the need for fossil fuels. It's about getting the infrastructure needed out there quickly and replacing the inefficient with the efficient.

Agree on your points, and that's why I was so bothered before the election with Obama-sold-us-out on climate change arguments. A big portion of the stimulus bill was green energy investments. It increased CAFE standards (closing the SUV loophole), created renewable energy tax credits, and provided tax incentives for upgrading homes and businesses to increase efficiency. These seem small, but they are big in total, particularly the tax credits. My office building installed solar due to their existence. In other words, the bill was about incentivizing and creating demand--and it worked!

Obama tried to get more done too, with a cap-and-trade bill and his clean power plan. One died in Congress, while the other is dead because of Trump. To read Common Dreams, you'd think Obama was a neoliberal dictator who demanded we bathe our kids in coal slurry though. It's the difference between pragmatism, moving the ball forward when you've got to work with 400 members of Congress plus the courts plus executive branch staff, and magic.

I would hope you are wrong..OF COURSE!

Time for people to look beyond narrow self-interests (e.g., some unions and some of their members) to consider the broader impacts. This will be a challenge for many Americans who have been taught since birth to think and act selfishly. Many realize we are not solitary creatures but cooperative and depend on each other. The solidarity that permits unions to function for themselves needs to be expanded to everyone and to nature of which we are also interdependent.