Home | About | Donate

Perfect End to Democratic Primary: Anonymous Super-Delegates Declare Winner Through Media

Perfect End to Democratic Primary: Anonymous Super-Delegates Declare Winner Through Media

Glenn Greenwald

Last night, Associated Press – on a day when nobody voted – surprised everyone by abruptly declaring the Democratic Party primary over and Hillary Clinton the victor.

"The nomination is consecrated by a media organization, on a day when nobody voted, based on secret discussions with anonymous establishment insiders and donors whose identity the media organization – incredibly – conceals. The decisive edifice of super-delegates is itself anti-democratic and inherently corrupt: designed to prevent actual voters from making choices that the party establishment dislikes."

Meet the New Election Model!

It is to so called voter choice what TIPP and TPP are to citizen input on not just trade, but the legal frameworks that theoretically restrain what corporations can do... to entire nations, natural resources, and sovereign peoples.

And while both smack of just how nefarious the New World Order and its major players are, to state as much is to be shut down as "A Conspiracy Theorist."

Nothing anonymous about this. It's rigged, scripted in an attempt to sway voters in California so Clinton doesn't embarrassingly lose the California primary. Hope/wish it would backfire. Note, I'm not a big Sanders supporter. The fix has been in for a while as demonstrated by Kshama article yesterday. The only things this nation has done for the good has come about through organized struggle using direct action, not the ballot box. And it doesn't matter who is in power if people organize.

The DNC wants corporate money more than they want Trump. Although the DNC would like to see Hillary win in November, winning is a distant lower priority compared to sustaining corporate money flow.

The DNC needs Clinton solely to sustain corporate money. Winning in November would be icing on the cake, but not essential to the Party's business model.

It really wasn't that much of a surprise. That is how Trump was declared the presumptive nominee, by the AP asking unpledged delegates who they would vote for. Also, on Friday during her show on MSNBC Rachael Maddow said it was possible that Clinton would be declared the presumptive nominee before the primaries on Tuesday, pointing out what recently occurred with Trump before the North Dakota primary. Neither the Sanders campaign nor the Clinton campaign wanted this to happen but they can't control what the press does. But the press doesn't actually choose the nominee. Only the delegates can do that at the convention.

The neoliberals in power in Brazil are far worse than their predecessors.

If it is so over, why are you here? Go away.

Democracy is dead. Democracy remains dead. And we have killed it. -Nietzsche 2.0

Obama, that appalling sellout, is running an administration that has sent far more "whistleblowers" to prison than Bush the Idiot ever did. His pledge of "transparency" when he first ran for the Oval Office was a cynical lie. The suppression of Hillary's emails concerning the TPP is just another example of how these corrupt "Democrats" are screwing us over. The oligarchs want Hillary, not Trump. Even the loathsome Charles Koch, whose foundation has done everything it can to subvert our democracy, has stated that he could work with a Clinton Administration!
The "New World Order" has nothing to worry about with Queen Shillary in power.

The two main parties are team A and team B both offering a slightly different take on the same basic neocon/neoliberal world view. They really don't care what the majority want, but they are becoming more transparent with each election cycle. It could all break before the November elections depending on the results tonight and at the party conventions. We'll know much more in the morning. Vote for Bernie California...

The only way #NeverHillary works is if those of us IN swing states stick to our guns and vote against and work to defeat the Red Queen, Hillary. Therefore, being in Ohio, I commit to not only walking away from the the Democratic Party and Hillary, but I to making sure that Hillary NEVER becomes POTUS. We came for Bernie, but will not stay for her. If evil is evil, then we must do everything we can to defeat her and rip control of the party back from the Clintons and the DLC faction, for The People. Mark my words, a Hillary presidency WILL take this country to another unnecessary, criminal war somewhere in the World. #NeverHillary.

I assume Bernie knows that the DNC has/is doing everything in its power to derail his candidacy. Then why would he entertain the possibility of joining the DNC in supporting Hillary if she becomes the nominee?

I just called Paul Colford, at the AP's Media Relations Dept. to tell him how I feel about their story declaring the Dem's election of a Presidential candidate all decided by the Super Delegates, just before the CA, NJ and other Primaries, and before the Phila. Convention. You can too: 1-212-621-1895, or mediarelations@ap.org or to twitter: PDColford_AP.

I wasn't rude, just said I would never trust or read with some level of confidence, another AP story., again.

This entire 'race' between Sanders and Clinton was over before it even started. Does anyone here really believe that the elites would allow Sanders to be the democratic nominee?

Likely the Clinton campaign DID want this to happen, and orchestrated the caper.

I heard the news on Aljazeera this morning, here in Mozambique where I live. Hillary Clinton was declared winner of the democratic party's nomination. I was deeply offended by such miss-information. It should be called gossip rather than journalism. It is very disturbing.

Besides, how can the leaders call the party for "democratic" and the political system for a "democracy." The concept Democracy used in this way is completely misplaced.

According to Wikipedia a democracy has 4 key elements:
(a) A political system for choosing and replacing the government through free and fair elections;
(b) The active participation of the people, as citizens, in politics and civic life;
(c) Protection of the human rights of all citizens, and
(d) A rule of law, in which the laws and procedures apply equally to all citizens.

One can hardly call this election for free and fair; and how about letting the laws and procedures apply equally to all?

The US is leaning to be an authoritarian democracy. Wikipedia defines this as "a form of democracy directed by a ruling elite of an authoritarian state that seeks to represent the different interests of society."

I wish and hope that Bernie wins big time today.

Should read: "of High Society."

"a form of democracy directed by a ruling elite of an authoritarian state that seeks to represent the different interests of High Society."

Correct @ctrl_z, "High Society" it is. We need to add that to Wikipedia.

I wish to congratulate Secretary Clinton on her victory.

I would also like to give early congratulations to President-Elect Trump.

Thank you for this! I appreciate your sharing of this definition of democracy, for it clarifies the inadequacy of democracy for our world. I'm not saying we don't need democracy, but that we need more than simply democracy, and we need checks on a democracy that would fuel empire: we need love for universal human rights, and universal respect for the entire web of life.

As you show in this definition for democracy, it requires "protection of the human rights of all citizens," but not all people. In California, democratic processes fueled enslavement (one of the first acts of the state legislature was an act legalizing short-term, but repeatable, terms of enslavement of Indigenous people to white owners), rape, murder, and genocide of the Indigenous people of the land during and following the Gold Rush (see Murder State: California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873). When the U.S. today plays a dominating role in the respect or disregard of people's human rights the world over, it is not enough for us to call for a U.S. democracy that protects only U.S. citizens' human rights. As Jill Stein makes clear in her platform, respect for universal human rights must become the new foundation for U.S. international policy.