Home | About | Donate

Pipeline 150 Miles from Standing Rock Spills Over 170,000 Gallons of Crude

Pipeline 150 Miles from Standing Rock Spills Over 170,000 Gallons of Crude

Nika Knight, staff writer

A pipeline just two and half hours' drive from the Indigenous water protectors' ongoing stand against the Dakota Access Pipeline has leaked over 170,000 gallons of crude oil into a tributary of the Little Missouri River and into a hillside, it was reported late Monday.

I'm guessing the tributary connects downstream from Standing Rock?

Monitoring equipment had failed to detect the leak. This happened in other pipeline leaks as well. From this I can arrive at the following conclusions.

Given how devastating these leaks are to the environment if monitoring equipment is not up to the task of immediately detecting a leak than the pieplines should be deemed unsafe and not constructed at all. If there a ride at a carnival where it known if certain components subject to wear fail leading to the deaths of people riding said machine and there no way to monitor the wear on said bolts then the ride will not be allowed to operate. Pipeline Companies that wish to build these things should not be able to gain approval for a flawed system

The other conclusion one can make is this. Given how many times "monitoring equipment failed to detect a leak" It might well be this just a cop out on the part of industry. The volume of the amount leaked when compared to the volume of the amount reaching its destination thus earning income, may be seen by industry as an acceptable risk and loss given a total shutdown of the pipeline to repair such leaks means no revenue.

Since the industry is insistent on putting their heads in the sand (along with compliant MSM) I wish they would put them in fracking sands.

Barrels or gallons, big difference. 42 gallons In a barrel, please correct.
Regardless, enough already with blatant disregard for mother earth!

Look, damn it, the original Dakota Access pipeline was to go north of the North Dakota capital city of Bismarck (you know, as in Otto von). But, fearing a future leak would pollute Bismarck, it was moved to less than a mile from the Standing Rock reservation. This is because a future leak polluting the reservation would never--NEVER I tell you(!)--happen. So, you see, if the Belfield, North Dakota pipeline had been built next to or through a native reservation, it wouldn't have leaked. An oil pipeline will only leak if near an Anglo city. Thus, all oil pipelines need be built as to go right through a native reservation. This is how the white man shows respect for the red man.

To be noted, because it is so upbeat, this comment is posted with a happy face--> : - (

Excellent comment and spot on! There is and has been no regular monitoring by the pipeline owners/operations anywhere as demonstrated by the widespread leaks into farmland, streams, rivers (Yellowstone, e.g.), aquifers, neighborhoods, lakes, and soil. Those pipelines are not in their private backyards...unseen, undetected, and the devastation left in the wake of the leaks obviously does not evoke any concern on their part...just as long as they get their take of the profits. And any fines levied are simply considered the cost of doing business and until such time as their are major consequences for such malfeasance, nothing will be done...Exxon Mobil is a prime example, especially under the guidance of
Tillerson.

The True family cuts corners and works their employees into the ground. I worked for Diemer True at Black Hills Trucking. Diemer True is a former Wyoming State Senator and Representative who uses his political connections to get away with murder. The True family forces their employees to break federal laws and regulations. They use and abuse their employees and run them into the ground, then discard them like trash when their badly sleep deprived employees screw up. I'm not at all surprised about this leak. Since the pipeline is owned and operated by the True family, it is likely shoddily built and doomed to fail. And those tasked to maintaining and operating this pipeline are likely struggling financially and forced to work round the clock. This is a perfect example of how the GOP mentality works in real life. The time I worked for this disgusting family was some of the worst years of my life. I'm lucky to have gotten away with my life. I was crushed on the job while working for this family but the surgeons managed to save me. Others weren't so lucky...

Thank you for your candor and I am sorry you suffered while in the "False" family employ. It takes courage to walk/crawl away from a means of income. That family is only a microcosm of what happens with all but a rare few pipelines across our nation and traversing the provinces of our neighbor to the North, Canada.

Do take care!

More sign of Obama's actual environmental legacy.

Keep in mind that about 99% of citizens fail to monitor what our public servants are doing.

Thanks Seatower. The problem with employers like the True family is that they keep you so poor that you can't really afford to quit in order to take time to find another job and they work you around the clock so you have no real free time to look elsewhere either. At Black Hills Trucking, if you chose to take time off in order to catch up on your sleep, they either refused to dispatch you for another load or they assigned loads that paid almost nothing. We had to accept every load they dispatched no matter how many hours we'd already been on the road. They told us to maintain an accurate log book for the company showing our true hours and another for the federal government that we had to lie about how many hours we'd been driving. They got caught and were fined, yet it didn't stop the practice. I was lucky to get out. The guy who replaced me wasn't so lucky. He was crushed and died on the job...

There is only one way to stop the leakers and that is to shut them down, impound their equipment and criminally charge their executives! That is the only way to deal with such criminals! 30 leaks? Come on!

That's a cheery thought.

And they are still dragging their feet on LINE-5, the line that crosses UNDERNEATH and over the bottom of the Straits of Mackinaw, of the Great Lakes-
This line was built during the Eisenhower Administration, meaning it is over 60 years old-
Enbridge Line 5 is a major oil pipeline in the Enbridge Lakehead System, which conveys petroleum from western Canada to eastern Canada via the Great Lakes states. Line 5 is particularly notable for passing under the environmentally sensitive Straits of Mackinac, which connect Lake Michigan to Lake Huron. As of December 2013,[1] it is capable of carrying 540,000 barrels (86,000 m3) of oil per day. It carries synthetic crude, natural gas liquids, sweet crude, and light sour crude.[2

Enbridge already wasted the Kalamazoo River with dilbit oil here in Michigan-
They don't even know how to get this shit out of the river....

I have to wonder. How many more rivers, lakes, and streams will have to be made useless before MOST Americans decide to come out and support the EPA, and GOOD Policy that insists on SAFE and PROTECTED Waters?

A pipeline would probably have to be built through the local water treatment plant before it would cause concern, and that might be mitigated if the city fathers could intimate that a kickback scheme funded the local football stadium.

Ah, NightriderXP1, your post reminded me of an old-d-d song by Tennessee Ernie Ford:

SIXTEEN TONS

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you then the left one will

We haven't traveled that far, have we?

And now Rick Perry will be in charge of EPA. Of course, he has been employed by said company for 2 years, and they donated millions to his presidential run failure. But it's paying off big now. $$$$$

"I'm a runnin' outta whites,
God damn dim them headlights"

Roll Brother Trucker, James Taylor