Home | About | Donate

Please, I’d Like to Stop Writing about Innocents Killed by Guns

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/05/please-id-stop-writing-about-innocents-killed-guns

1 Like

Here’s that column once again. Will I ever be able to stop writing it?

Sadly, I doubt it, Michael, at least not in what’s left of our lifetimes, given our age. Maybe the younger generation will do something when they come to power, but counting on the current leaders of either party to even pass an assault style weapons and high capacity magazine ban or even something as simple as a universal background check law is still years down the road.

The blame, here, is not solely on the Republicans, by the way. Obama has said that one of the biggest disappointments of his eight years in the White House was the failure of the Democrats to pass gun legislation after Sandy Hook when the Democrats controlled Congress. In the end, it was key Democrats, such as Harry Reid, that torched the effort. Even now, you can’t count on Democrats from red states to back any meaningful gun legislation.

3 Likes

Hell, “Democrats from red states” like Manchin (WV) and Sinema (AZ) are complicit with Moscow Mitch in confirming fascist judges en masse who will make sure that we have more assault weapons, not fewer, for at least the next half century.

3 Likes

The Gun Nuts like to use the arguement that “The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun” and then advocate for even more guns.

Here is the problem. Nobody thinks they are “a bad guy”. These racist shooters trying to “protect white America” believe they are the good guys. Trump seems to think so.

3 Likes

Innocents die every time the US drops bombs on foreign countries. Then our military is praised as heroes. Most of our discretionary budget goes to the military for killing. It’s all right to kill people of color all over the world and deprive our own people of healthcare and housing. It’s all right to put lethal chemicals in our food, our water and the air we breathe but we are outraged by the unplanned killings. What hypocrisy .The mass killings will not go away until we change our values…until we value the environment, unify humans and end US imperialism.

1 Like

I would like to stop writing about how criminal the government is, but it ain’t gonna happen.

… Then start writing seriously about repealing the Second Amendment and implementing our version of the Australia Plan. It probably won’t happen in our lifetimes, but we have to start to normalize the conversation instead of it being a taboo shouted down by the gun lobby and gun nuts.

1 Like

Exactly! And, to go one step further, a ‘criminal’ is not a criminal until a crime is committed. These excuses are fallacies. There is literally no such thing as a 100% responsible gun owner. It is impossible. Human beings are simply to fallible. The vast majority of people who possess weapons have just gotten lucky up to this point. I know that there will be a large group of people who will want to argue that point with me. I’m okay with that argument. I will, of course, admit that some people are ‘more’ responsible than others. That is true with each and every human data point. However, there is just simply no way to ensure without-a-doubt that a human with a gun/weapon is always safe.
P.S. That being said, I’d only be on board with weapon confiscation if the police departments were also made to confiscate.