Home | About | Donate

Please Shut Up, Mr. President, and Read Some Books

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/02/please-shut-mr-president-and-read-some-books

4 Likes

As Tyrion Lannister said in Game of Thrones, responding to a question from Jon Snow as to why he read so much, “A man who simply lives has only one life, but a man who reads has thousands of lives.”
One of the first things I fought to relearn after a catastrophic brain injury was the ability to read. It was a hard, long journey; I still have issues. But I read at least three books a week, and each one teaches me something. And these are real books, ones I hold in my hands, not an electronic device.

13 Likes

Due respect to Mr. Winship, but this is one of myriad examples of The Owners forcing us to endure DT’s “presidency.” All the articles, all the hand-wringing, all of the protests - ALL of it the result of this.

1 Like

I hear Trump does like the “funny pages.”

I’m all for be-Smurch-ing Trump. Sounds like a good ideeee!
Now, who will “bell the cat?”
An old question and it is clear that is neither Nancy nor Chuck nor much or anyone else.

2 Likes

“Read some books”?
Have you watched trump read a short script that was written for him? I wonder just how much he knows how to read. He makes G.W. Bush look like genius sometimes.
I doubt if trump could “Read” a complete book unless it was 95% pictures and the other 5% was explained to him.

3 Likes

There are audio books, scientists demonstrate they stimulate the same parts of the brain equally. So he could also listen to books.

You are assuming that Trump has an attention span exceeding the duration of a soundbite.

As far as Trump’s reading ability is concerned there are probably as many people who believe he can read as there are people who believe Jeff Epstein committed suicide and believe that Enron founder Ken Lay died of a heart attack.

1 Like

Beg pardon?

1 Like

From 2017 on I’ve said (out loud too) that dump can not read. He has never had to do anything because it was all done for him and the result of this is sociopathy personality. His biggest skill is to tell lies.

It isn’t about the books (hard copy or audio), it is about a mind open to something other than oneself. The rump does not have that ability

3 Likes

You forgot to mention that more books by Hitler are NOT suitable for Trump to read.

While not defending Trump, the guy is truly an idiot, I would like to say something about reading in one’s old age. My eyesight disintegrates so rapidly now that I would need to change glasses every six to nine months or so to keep up. I find myself moving my head in and out to keep focus on reading material and computer screens. I was a voracious reader before I started accelerating on the downward side of life and find I no longer read as much because it is just too hard to focus. And before you say, “get new glasses,” the damned things are expensive when you’re on a very low and very fixed income. There is a reason people still buy those off-the-rack reading glasses at drug stores; it’s all they can afford.

4 Likes

You could very well be right. I think too, that he is a person that escapes the consequences of his behavior and therefore doesn’t learn in the way most of us do, or change. Over a long period of time it can create a primitive intellect. For sure, he a very sick person.

1 Like

Meaning that we knew a lot about DT well before he became “president.” There is nothing new or inconsistent about him since then. As he put it in one of his speeches, “you knew I was a snake when you let me in.”

It’s a good thing for trump that telling lies comes natural for him.
It’s also good for him that he is a natural born con man.

He is the perfect Republican politician.

I’ve worked with children who have a difficult time learning in school because they have trouble adapting to the rote methods used in many classrooms. Some of these kids become clowns or troublesome due to their differences. The end results are variable. Working with someone one to one they can frequently master the skills to learn and complete the basic schooling.
Dump missed out and instead became a bully.

2 Likes

Reading books is something that could help,but trumpenstein is beyond help in that realm.
If he would entrust people other than the prejudiced, the fearful, the greedy, the racists, the power hungry, and the war mongers, and instead held to a few smart, fair-minded, and honest folks, the people would be content.

2 Likes

Hi Godless,

An advantage of my e-reader is I can set the type larger later at night when my eyes get more tired, or adjust the backlight. I really love real books (used to work in a bookstore), the walls of my home are lined with ‘em. But sometimes the reader is easier on my poor old eyes. Just sayin’