Home | About | Donate

Police Officer Not Charged in Tony Robinson Shooting Death

Police Officer Not Charged in Tony Robinson Shooting Death

Common Dreams staff

Matt Kenny, the officer who shot and killed unarmed biracial teen Tony Robinson in Madison, Wisconsin on March 6, will not be charged in his death.

"I conclude that this tragic and unfortunate death was the result of a lawful use of deadly police force and that no charges should be brought in the death of Tony Robinson, Jr.," said Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne at a press conference on Tuesday.

If the prosecutor's true reason not to charge was because he believed the officer used lawful force then there is definitely something wrong with the definition of "lawful force". Just ask yourself, how can it be lawful to shoot and kill and unarmed young man in and around his own home for a crime or crimes he didn't commit? How is that possible?

The police have murdered so many black minors of late I have to look them up to know which one is being disgussed. Either our police departments are doing a terrible job of training or they are not able to afford qualified personnel. Ill bet if these young men were living in Beverly Hills or Palm Beach we would be seeing a bit more action on this matter.

People in Madison have already appealed to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights, considering rightly that the United States is incapable and unwilling to exact justice in cases such as these. I hope they march on the Capitol and put a brick on clown nose scott walker's bald spot (both of them)!

I agree with you regarding the definition of "lawful force." Ozanne did not impress me as much of a human being if he thought everything was just hunky dory on the FORCE issue.

And now I would like to take everybody else involved to task too.

According to DA Ozanne there were 911 calls regarding Tony trying to choke someone, punching somebody else in the face, running into and disrupting traffic. One of the 911 calls, possibly the first one, was made by a friend of Tony. Lest we forget, Tony was a convicted felon. This does not put Tony in the best of lights, now does it. With concern for the safety of other potential victims of young Mr. Robinson, Officer Kenny did his duty as a police officer to try to prevent more violence by entering the house. Tony attacked him with a punch to the head. Tony was being stupider than stupid. HE ATTACKED A COP!! He was wrong, dead wrong. And let's stop using the excuse that Tony was on shrooms. The law does not excuse your actions if you are drunk. And guess what? It does not excuse shroomies either. If anything, Tony has clearly earned a Darwin Award, adding credence to the Gumpism that "stupid is as stupid does."

Now, putting that aside, let me say this:

PUMPING SEVEN BULLETS into and/or through him was truly EXCESSIVE UNLAWFUL FORCE, and nobody can convince me otherwise. I grew up watching Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, et al shooting the gun out of the bad guy's hand, NOT PUMPING 7 BULLETS into him! There is a big difference between self-defense and PUMPING 7 BULLETS into somebody. Kenny freaked out as if he too was on shrooms!

2 Questions: Was Kenny blood-tested after the shooting? Who decided that Shoot to Kill, PUMPING 7 BULLETS into somebody, is now the law of the land?

Next, it is time to scold Common Dreams. Please, everybody, take a good look at the picture CD chose to head the article. There's Tony in his 'Sunday-go-to-meetin'-clothes.' Doesn't he look all sweet and innocent?! This holy image of him is clearly BS, but since it probably came from his family or friends, it's understandable. But CD is using this angelic image of the convicted felon who was on a violence spree to try to sway your opinion of what happened here in Madison. If Tony wore that suit to anything other than his high school prom or graduation.... Sorry, folks, that was not the real Tony. The evidence clearly shows otherwise. On this one, CD fails the test for "Truth in Advertising." No more subliminals, CD.

I'm done ranting now.

My rant will be somewhat more brief. Some of the most admirable people in late history from the Berrigans to Assada Shakur to Mumia Abu-Jamal, to Edward Snowden, are or were, or will soon be, "convicted felons". So if this guy was indeed a convicted felon, it does not exactly make me shake in my shoes, Also, take your callous "Darwin award" and shove it up your ass.

Now go away.

How many more black lives will be murdered before this somehow comes to an end and the murdering, police are locked up across the US?

My headline: POLICE OFFICER NOT CHARGED IN: ( FILL IN A FUTURE BLACK MANS NAME ) SHOOTING DEATH.

Thank you, Yunzer, for your heart-felt response to my rant. Let me apologize up front for offending your sensitivities. How many of the heroes (yes, I believe they are heroes) that you mentioned have been convicted of GTA? His record was available in the databank. The cops knew who they were dealing with.

Apparently, your attention span is short, because you seem to have missed the LOUDEST part of my rant, so let me give you the shortened version regarding Officer Kenny's actions:

PUMPING SEVEN BULLETS into and/or through him was truly EXCESSIVE UNLAWFUL FORCE, and nobody can convince me otherwise. I grew up watching Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, et al shooting the gun out of the bad guy's hand, NOT PUMPING 7 BULLETS into him! There is a big difference between self-defense and PUMPING 7 BULLETS into somebody. Kenny freaked out as if he too was on shrooms!

2 Questions: Was Kenny blood-tested after the shooting? Who decided that Shoot to Kill, PUMPING 7 BULLETS into somebody, is now the law of the land?

So, Yunzer, did you not catch that I condemn PUMPING 7 BULLETS into somebody? Up until Kenny did that, he was doing his sworn duty. From that point on, he was a street thug who PUMPED 7 BULLETS into Robinson. Agreed.

On the other hand, how can you be so blind to the fact that Robinson was a danger to everybody around him?. His FRIEND was the first to call the cops! Do you think Robinson should be anointed for sainthood because he is dead? The moron, formerly known as Tony Robinson, violently ATTACKED A COP!! Just as Kenny's PUMPING 7 BULLETS into Robinson was EXCESSIVE UNLAWFUL FORCE, Tony's Darwin Award is EXTREMELY WELL-EARNED. Don't deny Tony his one award in life just because you think I am an asshole!

What else you got to say, Yunzer?

I do believe that Walter Scott's murderer (a cop) has been charged, has he not?

You too, Doran, must have missed my take on the performance of the cop. I have not missed the larger picture. I ABHOR POLICE VIOLENCE against our citizenry. But you seem to be "forgiving" of the actions of Robinson that led to his confrontation with Kenny. I see the larger picture. You do not. I am trying to analyze this incident based on the facts, how it happened. Are you?

This whole affair has become a photo op, a Kodak moment, where the public wants to assign absolutely no responsibility whatsoever to the violent Tony for his own demise. "He's not responsible, he was on shrooms." Give me a freakin' break!

Charged, but not convicted.

True about Walter Scott's murderer having been charged, not convicted. Time will tell on that case. And whereas I ranted on the behavior of Tony Scott, I most certainly have no rant on Walter's behavior. Two totally different scenarios, but the same sad outcome nonetheless.

Shooting a person in the leg isn't an alternative to using lethal force, since if the bullet tears open the femoral artery the person who has been shot will bleed to death very quickly. Of course it can also be ineffectual--the shot can easily miss, or cause a wound that doesn't incapacitate the attacker.

Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and the Lone Ranger were all make believe. The reality is this: American police officers are trained to fire at the center of the upper torso and to keep firing until the assailant is incapacitated. Some people can be hit several times in the body and still continue aggressive action because their circulatory system is still functioning. Those interested in learning about the reality of shootings involving handguns will benefit from reading this paper, written by an FBI agent in 1989:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
It was circulated three years after a notorious firefight in Miami in 1986 between eight FBI agents and two armed robbers. During the fight one of the robbers received what the medical examiner called a "non-survivable" bullet wound to his upper arm and chest--the 9mm bullet stopped an inch from his heart and caused his entire right lung to collapse. Nevertheless, the wounded felon went on to kill two FBI agents before another badly wounded agent finished him off with a close-range shot from his revolver..

Don't you just love the phraseology in that statement. Blah blah blah until the assailant is "incapacitated" is once again NOT truth in advertising. Is "incapacitated" some euphemism for "DEAD?" Is "incapacitated" just some wishy-washy way to deny the reality of what cops are doing? Or is it intended to help killer cops sleep at night? "Dear Lord, I PUMPED 7 BULLETS into this guy in order to incapacitate him. For some reason he 'PASSED AWAY'. Amen."

So based on the report you cite cops truly are trained to "SHOOT TO KILL." Life in the US is now nothing but a county fair arcade game, with citizens as the targets.

Also, the last sentence in the Miami 1986 is further evidence of the manipulation of language by the powers that be:

Nevertheless, the wounded felon went on to "kill" two FBI agents before another badly wounded agent "finished him off" with a close-range shot from his revolver....

Therefor the entire criminal justice system can now be scrapped, saving millions and billions of dollars. Why? Because cops are trained to be JUDGE, JURY, AND EXECUTIONER.

I sense that the bloodbath has only just begun. With corporate-run prisons, FEMA concentration camps, guns everywhere, 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition purchased by Homeland Security...which is insufficient, by the way. In order to PUMP 7 BULLETS into each of us, they will need about another billion rounds.

Ain't life grand?!

American police are trained to shoot until the person they're shooting stops doing whatever it was that caused (and legally justified) the shooting in the first place. Sometimes the person who gets shot survives and sometimes they don't. "FEMA concentration camps" have nothing to do with it.