Home | About | Donate

Police Unleash 'Brutal Attacks' on Austerity Protesters in Storm-Ravaged Puerto Rico

Police Unleash 'Brutal Attacks' on Austerity Protesters in Storm-Ravaged Puerto Rico

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Police in Puerto Rico deployed tear gas and fired rubber bullets to shut down May Day protests as thousands of people took to the streets of the U.S.

Not too long ago there was a cop in FL (or GA) bemoaning the fact that two deputies got shot while in a restaurant because cops were being “demonized.” Then you get stuff like this behavior and you have to ask who is doing the demonization, the cops or someone else?

A full dress rehearsal for the Shock Doctrine that awaits many, if not most, of us.

Corruption writ large. Totally disproportionate and unnecessary violence designed to suppress dissent and protest.

The cops should be ashamed. They have sold their souls.

We will all be Puerto Ricans and Gazans if these trends continue.

That was in Florida. They just can’t, or won’t, make the connections.

Profound racism, with a firm overlay of fascism.

A recent article read that Republicans were spending millions to get the half million Puerto Ricans that had to evacuate stateside to vote for them.

LOL!

And today’s NPR reported that the Puerto Rican refugees went to Tallahassee to thank and praise Governor Rick Scott for welcoming them. Of course he now wants Mr. Nelson’s senate seat. Every vote counts until you get seated on the Hill. Then all the promises about “busting butt” to serve us get tossed aside.

The oligarchs keep pushing and pushing, eventually the guillotines will have to come out. When it gets to that point, the police will be sorry they remained on the wrong side.

Just thinking of one of the annoying voices on NPR reporting that makes me cringe. Was it the insufferable Ari Shapiro, Melissa Block, or Kelly McEvers? Or maybe the long standing insufferable Robert Siegel, or Steve Inskeep?

Quick, to clear out my head reaching for a Frank Zappa LP.

Capitalism has outlived its usefulness to humanity. It no longer has anything to offer most people, those in favor of the system often no longer try to argue it does (and when they do, their argument is weak as can be), and it is a key driver in environmental degradation. If the left doesn’t get busy quick in creating coherent alternatives, which parties like the Democratic Party have no interest in, the far right will put in place an alternative, and it will be undemocratic, inequitable and brutal. Per usual, most of the worthless, empty human beings in this rotten government could give a damn.

Puerto Rico gets their turn today. Next week or next year, eventually it will also be your turn.

I certainly don’t possess the education you demonstrate regarding economic systems and philosophies.

The only defense I make of capitalism, isn’t really a defense but rather a perhaps resigned belief that given human nature, humans are unlikely to ever reject concepts of ownership, or labor in exchange for some benefit.

For now, I’d be quite happy with something akin to the Nordic Economic System, that at least puts some barriers between the power of corporations and public ownership for the public good.

But I do indeed recognize, in the end, systems of eternal economic “growth”, endless making of things for profit, is entirely unsustainable on a planet with finite resources. Add climate change into the mix, and the rightward lurch on every conceivable front, and things look…just a tad bleak.

At the end of the article, it says, “Watch:” But there is nothing there to watch or to click on. Does anyone see a video there?

Whoa! Look at that mace spray can shooting out stuff in that woman’s face!!! May I humbly suggest where that spray can needs to be shoved UP? How do you take the mace of a Nazi cowboy’s spray can out of a woman’s face? How would you take the mace spray can out of his b*tt afterward? One can only hope for the future.

Get the Clinton Foundation in there. They’re sure to fix PR just like they fixed Haiti. Actually better not. Things are never so bad they can’t be made worse by the Clintons. Meanwhile maybe Trump can lob a few more rolls of paper towel to help wipe the teargas away.

Good old militarized policing, which is what U.S. police departments, Homeland Security, etc., are learning from the chronic human rights abusers in Israel: https://blog.amnestyusa.org/middle-east/with-whom-are-many-u-s-police-departments-training-with-a-chronic-human-rights-violator-israel/

Not quite the Clinton Foundation, but after over 100 years of US colonial sacking of the economic wealth of Puerto Rico, Democrat President Barack Obama undemocratically imposed the PROMESA program on the Puerto Rican people ( http://remezcla.com/lists/culture/obama-signed-promesa-into-law/ ).

Well before the hurricane, the brutal Fuerza de Choque (Shock Force) division of the Puerto Rican police, has specialized in brutalizing the population, particularly, those critical of the US continued colonial rule over the island. ( https://nacla.org/article/neocolonial-policing-puerto-rico )

“I’m telling you my Dear that it can’t happen here” FZ

Here you go…maybe this will help you and others understand that there has been a choice since 1944 right here in front of our very eye’s. It has been suppressed and ignored. I have been trying to teach this for a long time now. Most of the time I am ignored as well. It is the birthing or root to the Nordic Model. Please teach others, thanks.

Those Americans not living in Puerto Rico can still push for a law requiring that anyone involved in making ANY rule for P.R. must live there for at least 30 days with the common people, and not with the bigshots. In other words, until you have walked in their flip-flops, you have no say in their lives.