Home | About | Donate

Political Revolution: This is what Democracy Feels Like

Political Revolution: This is what Democracy Feels Like

Donna Smith

Here in Colorado we have much to celebrate this week. It seems that U.S. News and World Reports ranks Denver as the top city to live in, and Colorado Springs comes in fifth according to the same survey report. And on Super Tuesday, Colorado’s Democratic voters caucused, and Bernie Sanders won that vote. But beyond the win for Bernie and his presidential campaign there was something significant happening in our caucusing places. The political revolution Bernie has been talking about for many months is underway, and Colorado is definitely on board.

Gave me chills, Donna. Working with our neighbors to bring about a nation that works for us all. Great stuff.

Go Bernie and go Donna.

No one advocates as effectively for Bernie than Donna Smith. Her words are a good serum for combatting the Bernie black out. Bernie is still a viable candidate and that's the way it is regardless of what the MSM claims.

Bernie won my town, Greenfield, Ma, with 72.2% (Boston is financial hub that went for Hillary – the map shows it as clearly isolated from the state).

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/election-results/2016/primary/democratic/massachusetts/?p1=BG_election_results

Now the question is how to support Bernie as the campaign moves on.

Psst! Did you sign the petition to arrest Bill Clinton and put him on trial for campaigning inside the forbidden zone on election day in Boston? Is your town next for Bill's lawless sprees?

https://www.change.org/p/massachusetts-attorney-general-maura-healey-arrest-prosecute-bill-clinton-john-f-mitchell-violation-of-ma-election-laws

Donna Smith's words echo what we saw building with Occupy in Zuccotti Park and marching in the streets - "whose streets? - OUR streets!" such a diverse and joyful group of people chanting "This is what democracy looks like!"

Bernie and his people-powered campaign represent a rebirth of Occupy and coalition of many different people that demand real change, real political revolution!

Addendum - after Bernies wins in Kansas and Nebraska - analysis of primary states and delegates!

And Colorado Springs comes in fifth....

You gotta be kidding. I'd die if I had to live in that extremist right-wing fake plastic suburban place! And isn't Denver mostly just suburban sprawl too?

So much for US News livability rankings.

The much more cosmopolitan British "Economist" mag always ranks Pittsburgh one of the top-livable cities in N. America (I'm not kidding!) - beat out by only Honolulu, Vancouver , maybe Toronto or Montreal.

I'll read the rest of the article now...

on the petition page linked there is also a White House petition to investigate
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/investigate-violations-massachusetts-voting-laws-conducted-bill-clinton-march-1-2016

Thank you Donna for verbalizing my feelings. I am so proud to live in Denver and be able to feel like on most issues I can count on my fellow Coloradans to be thoughtful, humane and liberal.
We lost seats in the last election and I know it's hard to motivate when the choices are not great, but we need to mobilize and stay that way. If Bernie gets the nomination we have to be ready to back him on the changes he wants. He can't do it alone and as citizens it is our responsibility to stand strong and keep voting. The revolution requires all of us to revolt and stay active.
If Bernie is not the one we must keep the revolution going and fight for what we must have. Go Bernie.

My experience with caucuses is that outsiders have more of a disadvantage than they do in primaries. Bernie's caucus wins are therefore indicative of more future successes, despite the Daily Beast discounting Bernie's wins (yes, I DO know that Chelsea Clinton is on the BOD of the Daily Beast parent company).

Donna articulates her observations better than most...always love reading her !

I live in a progressive suburb of D.C. and work in D.C. In both locations, I've been thrilled to have exactly the experience Donna is talking about when I bring up the campaign and my support for Bernie in conversations with acquaintances and co-workers. On the majority of occasions, everyone I am speaking with also supports Bernie. Then the conversation shifts to the issues and why we agree with what he is fighting for. Even in conversations with people leaning toward Hillary, we end up talking about the issues -- really talking, and thinking out loud. That is so heartening and amazing (wow, I cringe to admit how "amazing" it has become in this democracy) -- and it is all due to Bernie's passion and hard work and consistency throughout a lifetime of service.

Have to agree with ya, yunzer.. Much is lacking along the front range specifically those (2) cities (and Boulder). It's quite a love/hate area. Bicyclists vs Trucks & Other Hotheads, so LOOK OUT. It can be a real war zone at times as well as very dry these days and freezing cold w/ice and snow. Sprawl. Unreachable mountains due to a clogged and slow I-70 (mostly year round, now). Mtn. Bikes have long overtaken the once quiet and beautiful trails and transformed them into raceways and gutted trenches (especially near Boulder). Solitude & hiking has been sold out due to powerful bike lobbies. Water is in short supply as well. In the end, due to the above mentioned issues, you're simply trapped in the city (or burbs). There are community trails that are great for cruising at a leisurely pace around the smaller communities. Could there be worse places? For sure. But to calling these the best is close to being laughable. And plastic? You got that right! Go to Boulder sometime. All that crap aside, I'm glad Colorado went for Bernie. I was really surprised!

Agreed Skippystone.
And to Donna Smith, thank you for all you do. Words can't express how much I admire your advocacy and your compassion. You are the embodiment of a light in dark times.

Phone banking tomorrow with the new "Bernie Dialer"!

House parties, neighborhood chats, and support for this or that candidate don't make for a revolution. Revolution for/against what or whom? What would you expect to change if Sanders is elected? With rare exception, a president submits his proposals to Congress, and Congress makes the decisions.

Think back to when Obama was running for president. He often pointed out that the only way we could see the changes we said we wanted, would be to organize, get to our feet, and demand those changes from Congress. We almost did that with Occupy, only to find out that we don't agree on an agenda. We're too divided and subdivided by class and race.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What would you suggest we do about the masses of jobless poor, and many of the unemployable? The US shut down/shipped out a HUGE number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare in the 1990s. Not everyone can work (health, etc.) and there aren't jobs for all. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 people who still have the means to actively pursue one (can't get a job without a home address, phone, bus fare). What should we do about all those who are left out?

On Israel: Zionism is about the survival of Israel and the Jewish people. Israel is a tiny country, the sole Jewish nation -- historic and modern Jewish homeland -- surrounded by vast, oil-rich oppressive Arab nations. All of these Arab nations are heavily militarized by China, Russia AND the US. It takes everything Israel has just to survive, as they are surrounded by countries that demand a 100% Moslem Mideast. And that's why Israel is a bully.

Sorry Donna Smith, but we here in America have no idea what democracy looks like, as we have never had one. This nation is a republic, plain and simple. We only practice something similar to actual democracy one day a year, on a Tuesday in November. And even then, as what we do that day is tantamount to voting your proxy away to another person who may or may not represent your views a majority of the time.
No, we have nothing like democracy here in the USA. Think about if we actually did. Do you think that slavery would still be legal in the many states? Of course.
Democracy has always made a huge assumption that everybody voting is a responsible, ethical person who is willing to sacrifice some personal goals for,the good of the group. That sense of altruism has never existed in America, and I fear never shall.

My first thought when I saw the headline "This is hat Democracy Looks Like" was this was going to be about a Donald Drumpf rally and one of their 2 Minute Hates.
Because, that too is what Democracy looks like. Much as I love the idea of pure democracy, I have seen too much of America to trust our collective judgement any more than I trust those already in power.

However, people can learn and change their minds, but power will always protect power.

Damn, but we live in interesting times, aye?

Imagine a caucus every quarter instead of every four years; now you're imagining real participatory democracy.