Home | About | Donate

Politics and the Golden Rule

Politics and the Golden Rule

Robert C. Koehler

What I’m not trying to do is just pass legislation. I’m trying to change the face of American politics.”

Pull these words out of the context of “the news” and let them pulse like the heartbeat of the future.

The words are those of Bernie Sanders, of course — engaged last week in a confrontational interview with Chris Matthews. Free college tuition? Matthews loosed his skepticism on the presidential candidate, who pushed back:

Best answer to the God question possible! Good job Bernie!

Is this really a revolution emerging from a presidential race?

for many a decade i had grown increasingly skeptical of this nation's political process. then during campaign 2008 i felt a surge of hope. obama spoke passionately against the iraq invasion. he promised transparency--(democracy cannot exist without it). he wanted to tackle a failing education system, remove big money's influence, create single payer health care, close gitmo and comb through every item in the federal budget to put an end to wasteful spending. you see where i'm going here?

i'd guess my first twinge of doubt came with obama's response to the rev. wright issue. wright had in no uncertain terms questioned the morality of america's imperialistic arrogance. candidate obama chose the politically expedient path and denounced his long time friend and spiritual advisor. yet i held to that remaining shard of hope. i watched in utter disappointment as obama waffled on the military coup in honduras, announced "single payer is off the table" and continued handing over our education system to military rotc programs and private interests.

— the people! — reopening the door of participatory politics

for way too long, now, we the citizens have been relegated to the role of audience, cheering or booing those who play a role on the theatrical political stage, yet having little or no say-so on national policy. oh, every couple of years we can vote for the candidates with the most appealing packaging and enjoy a brief moment's exuberant feeling that we actually participate. it's a sham! for the most part we see a democracy of, for and by corporate interests.

Changing the face of American politics is a profound, unfathomably difficult undertaking, but it’s nothing at all if it doesn’t begin with the Golden Rule. And this rule cannot be selectively applied.

yes indeed, robert! until this nation acts on her stated conviction of equality and justice for all; until we can treat all the world's citizens with the same loving respect we wish for ourselves, this ship of state will continue to flounder on the tumultuous sea of chaos and mistrust like a boat without a rudder. almost every major religion is based in the moral imperative as stated in the philosophy of the golden rule, yet we have done an abysmal job of living up to that virtue while pointing the finger of accusation at the failure others. if we truly want to live in a peaceful, happy and productive world, every one of us--citizens and politicians alike--who can must reflect on her/his own shortcomings so as to improve daily and live up to the standards we demand of others. after all, one man or woman cannot make it so; democracy requires the dedication and participation of all.

' The administration and its predecessors have built a drone program that is one of the most devastating driving forces for terrorism and destabilization around the world."

The above statement by Robert C. Koehler says volumes.

Is it any wonder America is hated so much! Trump, the buffoon, goes on T.V. and states that the "Muslims hate us" but conveniently leaves out the rest of the equation. Why oh why do they hate us Mr. Trump? They do not hate the American people, but hate the terrorism, devastation and perdition that America's foreign policy has done to their countries; their cities; their families and their loved ones.

I do not condone hate; especially by you Mr. Trump! But can you blame them? If someone wiped out your family using the excuse your family were terrorists, how would you react?

and this from the new york times:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A sprawling new plant here in a former soybean field makes the mechanical guts of America’s atomic warheads. Bigger than the Pentagon, full of futuristic gear and thousands of workers, the plant, dedicated last month, modernizes the aging weapons that the United States can fire from missiles, bombers and submarines.

It is part of a nationwide wave of atomic revitalization that includes plans for a new generation of weapon carriers. A recent federal study put the collective price tag, over the next three decades, at up to a trillion dollars.

the insanity is mind-boggling, no?

Amerika's foreign policy is an Insane Asylum and the inmates have taken control. Amerika is nothing less than the new Reich posing as a democracy. Amerika is and has been a military, terrorist dictatorship....just ask the only real Americans, the Native Americans!

Tangentially related: Earlier today I heard a story on public radio stating that the U.S. already has close to 300,000 licensed drone pilots. Some of these people wish to use drones for recreational and/or photographic purposes. The commentary insisted that drones ARE the future.

Sure to be fun for all.

Luckily, some persons who still have consciences and souls intact are speaking up to expose the inanity of these foreign wars (drones and all).

Astrology recognizes that the WAY anything begins tells the story of its unfoldment. One could liken the axiom to the acorn containing the blueprint for the eventual giant tree.

The way the Middle East wars were begun--on false pretenses and cases fixed FOR war--garners a tainted fruit. Naturally, since the initial trigger was bogus, NOTHING that generates from these banquets of carnage CAN produce anything that's good or honest.

The make-war MIC apparatus lives off blood, so it must produce enemies to continue the bloodletting.

One wonders which is worse: Is Trump THAT clueless or is he just pushing a jingoistic, America-always-right limited frame to win the applause of dummies?

Why not direct your words to HRC and Barack Obama. They've actually murdered countless innocent men women and children already and bragged about it. Sorry, talk (the campaign type) is cheap (and unsubstantiated), facts on the other hand...

Go figure.

He's trying to get elected, Not everyone is as stupid as you would like to believe, SR.

Good question. Personally, I do not think Trump is THAT stupid. I would say he is playing the MSM and his constituents like a fiddle!

I would concur, that Obama and HRC are some of the reasons that there is so much xenophobia in the U.S. In fact, as bad as Trump's rhetoric is, he has not murdered anyone...yet, while both Obama and HRC have been culpable of murdering many,many innocent men,women and children.

Chris Matthews gives me a headache. That said, it's just weird to see a notion like the "Golden Rule" in a discussion about contemporary American politics. America's version is still: "Do unto others before they do unto you."

I don't know if Sen. Sanders has ideas for "changing the face of American politics." I do know that even liberals so strongly believe in the success of our deregulated capitalism that they think everyone is able to work, there are jobs for all, therefore no need for poverty relief. What I've heard of the campaign to date has been consistent with the script used since the 1990s, when the Dem Party turned right. Disappear the poor, promise some candy to the middle class, resume business as usual.

Tell Chris Mathews that I want my taxes to pay for health care, college tuition, jobs in environment and other things not bombs and bullets. Enough is enough. No country is stupid enough in this atomic age to start a superpower war. Matthews and his ilk need to get their minds out of the gutter.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Dear Bernie,
While wishing you all the best, it remains necessary to say that fixing USA is only the beginning. Making the USA pay for what it broke is the necessary finish.
Generations of US'ns will have to work for for no pay to do the latter.
Nazis are nothing on 'Americans'.