Home | About | Donate

Politics as Usual and Planetary Destruction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/11/politics-usual-and-planetary-destruction

Wow!!.. I do appreciate this article…I will refrain from saying much more until I can get to my laptop… This way I may avoid the " letter soup" police… gee…you do not like playing scrabble??

My new plan is to live my life knowing that the idealism of my career in environmental research and education has largely been rendered into the freedom fires of fascism. My afterlife shall be comprised of the spreading of my atoms by forces to be determined. Perhaps some carbon will be oxidized and rendered into the atmosphere (heaven). Other atoms will ultimately be subducted by intercontinental drift and rendered deeper into the earth (hell). At both locations I shall await the destruction of the sun and the new Light that that shall bring. All bases covered, until the black hole in the center of the Milky Way absorbs my remnants. And now, I must think about what to have for lunch.

2 Likes

We need to re-assess.

Here is something I just sent to JHK (kunstler dot com):

We live in “interesting times” - supposedly a Chinese Curse, but:

Despite being widely attributed as a Chinese curse, there is no known equivalent expression in Chinese.[2] The nearest related Chinese expression is 太平; nìng wéi tàipíng quǎn, mò zuò luàn lí rén ; which is usually translated as “Better to be a dog in a peaceful time, than to be a human in a chaotic (warring) period.” (Wikipedia)

Actually - I don’t think the Chinese are right there either.

We are Ice Age hunters caught in what Ronald Wright termed a ‘progress trap’ (A Short History of Progress), having done an early version of Easter Island, i.e., hunted our prey to extinction.

But we are ill suited to these civilizational ways, which is why we are all dysfuntional, the degree being a continuum dependent on how civilized we have allowed ourselves to become.

We have evolved over the course of a few million years to live in very small groups in a challenging environment(s) - and are only as social as necessary (the invention of grandparents c 45,000 years ago helped).

It is why I chose to climb full time with my own very small group, handpicked, from 98 thru 2004.

And why I knew then I was at last ‘on the path’, literally - the proverbial yellow brick road.

====================

So - Edward O. Wilson is wrong, I believe, in calling us a social species, like his beloved ants.

For one, ants are the very antithesis of social.

They are an immutable hierarchy, genetically programmed that way.

We are not - we are culturally hierarchial since agriculture, and look how well that has worked out if you believe, as I do, that we are on the cusp of extinction.

No way Jose - we are liberal democrats - and we do have the ‘selfish gene’.

Of necessity, we have to change again - or it’s the Big Exit.

" immigration, inequality, environmental destruction, and war. "

Predictably in this otherwise excellent article, Bromwich “forgot” to include the underlying cause, the taboo subject of overpopulation from which all the above are derived.

I’ll admit. I’m really tired. I’m tired of words. Words no longer work. We need actions by people with the ability to ‘afford’ it so as to light the spark of what is literally needed: a revolution.

1 Like

I see you ended with lunch. I was sure you might have said you were going for a walk with your dog
This thread reminds me of the Chinese freeway system. They build much of it on piers whereas we would bulldoze through many of the hills and pave the ups and downs over the bigger ones. Impressive eco engineering.