Home | About | Donate

Poll: Most Americans Oblivious, But Not Uncaring, to Overseas Suffering

Poll: Most Americans Oblivious, But Not Uncaring, to Overseas Suffering

Jake Johnson, staff writer

The vast majority of Americans are "oblivious" to the fact that more than 20 million people are on the brink of starvation in Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan, and Nigeria, according to a recent survey conducted by the International Rescue Committee (IRC).

What vile creatures slither in the White House Swamp.
* Today is Bastille Day!
* Does that suggest anything?
;-})

Call me a a naive optimist but if the majority of Americans did know the extent the suffering their government causes they would be sure to act more. Unfortunately the media is methodically designed to hide these horrors or to spin them as U.S. propaganda

The obstacle to peace that no one is willing to talk about for fear of being called an antisemite.

Exactly. Then couple that with the fact so many Americans are struggling for their own survival.

For that problem it would be wise to educate them on how money going towards military spending is being taken away from programs that could help with them not only survive but prosper.

My guess is that most americans are also oblivious to the suffering of their fellow citizens, especially if they are black or brown. This simply follows from the unfettered "individualism" (so-called) of the nation. Since only "I" or "me" count, how can you expect them to care about others' suffering?

Most Americans oblivious. (full stop)

That sums things up.