Home | About | Donate

Pompeo Cheers 'Opportunity' in Arctic From Climate Change as America Blocks Resolution Language

Pompeo Cheers 'Opportunity' in Arctic From Climate Change as America Blocks Resolution Language

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

Rather than saving the Arctic from climate change, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that the melting polar region should be seen as an opening for the northern hemisphere.

Pompeo's comments came during a speech to a meeting of the Arctic Council, a group of seven countries—Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the U.S.—with interests and claims in the region.

2 Likes

The “Shock Doctrine” (thanks Ms. Klein) is alive and well. And in short order, it may be the only thing left that is. Let’s all work together to kill capitalism before it kills every last one of us.

13 Likes

There might come a time when we only HAVE 20 days left.

5 Likes

The USA needs to be made a global pariah. The world does not need the USA and it should be simply ignored.

7 Likes

I predict we will ‘Nuke’ Mother Nature for being so mean to U.S.

1 Like

“The Arctic is at the forefront of opportunity and abundance,” said Pompeo. “It houses 13 percent of the world’s undiscovered oil, 30 percent of its undiscovered gas, an abundance of uranium, rare earth minerals, gold, diamonds, and millions of square miles of untapped resources, fisheries galore.”
Pompous ass sounds like he is some sort of a reincarnated 18th century explorer/exploiter. If this asshole has kids he obviously doesn’t give a shit about their future.

2 Likes

Added Pompeo, “According to my research, climate change will also make it possible to dock mega-cargo ships in Atlanta, Phoenix, Tacoma, and Pittsburgh. In fact, outside of small inconveniences like submerging Miami and New York, sea level rise may be the biggest business opportunity since fossil fuels. I just bought land 30 miles inland – a huge bargain with even huger ROI potential as beachfront in a generation if not sooner!”

2 Likes

If I recall correctly didn’t Obama try to open the arctic to drilling twice? What Pompeo is saying here isn’t unique to the Republicans. Both parties want to profit as much as they can from our coming extinction.

And, well, this is because that’s what locusts do-consume. And Pompeo, like the rest of those guys, is a locust. Consume, consume, consume, until there ain’t no more…

4 Likes

NOTE to CD Editors.
Please consider @stardustIBID suggestions for labeling the Climate Crisis going forward.

23h

Remember what Ralph Nader wrote— we can no longer say climate change----it has to be in REAL and IMMEDIATE ACTION words…like climate crisis, climate climate disaster, and on and on with volatility, menace, horror, death-----disrupter, catastrophe-----when we use real words to make real actions urgent and immediate!

We really should change the frame

4 Likes

I’m quick to criticize Obama’s all-of-the-above energy policy, but in this instance his Arctic and offshore drilling stances were pretty restrictive. Compared to Trump’s they were night and day.

Just giving credit where credit is due. That said, Obama increased US oil production significantly and Democrats in fossil fuel drilling states might as well be Republicans.

2 Likes

Dangerous science fact denier idiots are in positions of high power in the US today. We might not die in a war but destroy our echo system and environment for millions more species who share this spaceship with us. Conscientious people of earth must rise up against idiot Americans and stop them from killing us off with their utter ignorance and material greed.

2 Likes

Fat slob Pompeo the typical arrogant right wing bass turd: rape the Earth and f-ck everybody!

2 Likes

Hi Phred_Pharkel:
Thank you. I hope those word changes can quickly make a difference, because slot time is a killer!

1 Like

Hi ellsworth_weedman:
Oh that Pompeo person is always seeming to allude to his religion, but he also seems so addicted monetary profit. I would like to ask him, that if his god made the world----why is he, Pompeo, trying to destroy it?

1 Like

Hi Phred+ Pharkel----sorry that ws supposed tp be SLOTH times to slot time>: 0

It’s May 7 and the Arctic Ocean is starting to melt down now. You can see the blue patches in the Arctic Ocean proper where it’s not supposed to melt even by September. Blue in May means that the Arctic Ocean is going to absorb solar heat during the maximum solar input months of May, June and July, and that’s radically different.

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

1 Like

None of those things are of real value …this primitive thinking must be transcended .

Yes, we must take responsibility for all of it …join Humanity’s Team .

Pompeo is unbelievably stupid!

The thought of Trump being influenced by people such as Pompeo, Bannon, and Bolton
is scary in the extreme. These types should never be anywhere near the higher levels of government. Nor should Stephen Miller, Erik Prince, or Mike Pence.

The aroma of approaching catastrophe is wafting across our country.

1 Like