Home | About | Donate

Poor People's Campaign Leaders Among Dozens Arrested Nationwide as Moral Movement Persists

Poor People's Campaign Leaders Among Dozens Arrested Nationwide as Moral Movement Persists

Julia Conley, staff writer

A day after being detained for leading a Poor People's Campaign demonstration on Capitol Hill—just two of the dozens of arrests of anti-poverty advocates at protests across the country on Monday—Rev. William Barber and Rev. Liz Theoharis were set to speak at a forum on inequality and poverty in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday.

The six-week campaign has focused on an array of issues involving poverty and inequality in the U.S., including voting rights, healthcare, and the effects of the climate crisis on the poor.

Just before his arrest, Barber spoke to a crowd of supporters about voter suppression.

“Voter suppression is not just a black issue. It’s a labor issue, it’s a poor people’s issue, because if you suppress the vote, you undermine the ability to elect people, and if you undermine the ability to elect people, you get people elected that will give you a regressive Supreme Court,” said Barber. “So you can’t separate voting rights from labor rights. It’s not that the black folks are over here fighting for voting rights, and the white folks are over here fighting for labor rights. We all better be fighting for all of our rights, every one of them!”

They don’t say the reason for the arrests –

But as I recall it, “interference with the right to free assembly” was what triggered the Revolution.

Those who would take over after the Revolution and ensure that the new government would remain
under the control of Elites-wealthy here were already in place.

That always seems to be the way these “Revolutions” go –

We are all LABOR no matter our color –

The “rigging” of our elections includes corporate control over candidates and the debates.

These same people have monopoly control over wealth and all of our media.

If such a thing happened in Russia or Cuba or Venezuela and the same arrests made it would become evidence of Tyranny to the MSM in the USA .

If these people were carrying signs calling for the overthrow of the Government of Iran or signs stating “support our troops” I am pretty certain they would not be arrested.

I want to start a paycheck-to-paycheck people’s campaign. I’m not poor, but my work and therefore life situation is uncertain, and I don’t own anything other than my car.

There is something very wrong with a nations direction and “leaders” when the least within a society (or ostensibly claimed so, but actually marginalized and financially burdened beyond reason or morality) when the demands for justice are met with police repression and arrest. Apparently there is no longer a First Amendment.

The Constitution of the United States - Amendment I

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The post 911 police state and its repression of civil rights has taken precedence over Habeas Corpus, and apparently The Constitution, Bill of Rights, and whatever protections granted the citizenry over hundreds of years - ordinary common decency and treatment of people by the police has long since ceased to be "protect and serve, to shoot first and ask questions later or never…

Dr King wrote: "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense (or offense) than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The spending of far more on war and arms than education, health care, elder and infant care, and all the other things that make any nation truly “great” is an obscenity and great shame of the US -

“A nation’s greatness - or “The measure of a civilization” - is measured by how it treats its weakest members.” Mahatma Ghandi

Dr King also championed a basic individual income that is now gaining traction - one result of that is the growth of the economy of the nation doing so…

And white collar crime gets a pass. Welcome to the two faces of the Corporate States of America; otherwise known as the Fascist State of Amerika.

Movements for addressing inequality via Blockchain and Direct Democracy are popping up. Here is one that Kucinich and wife seem to like. I don’t like their logo and it seems to transfer dollar inequality to Bitcoin and Ethereum inequality, but the first part of their video perfectly describes our problems. Its solutions seem a bit weird to me, but obviously lots of time was spent in coming up with them:

http://decenturion.com

Check out Universal Basic Income:

https://twitter.com/HumanVsMachine

Which I could add a thousand likes

politicians today seem to be so clueless or compromised. We’ve got a few that seem to want to listen and try - Elizabeth Warren for one.

in the proper government, these people would be heros. They are heros to us - the people out of power with no government to represent us. Someday I hope we will have a government that will honor and respect these people and look after the needs of all of the people - no matter what.

“I can only let one person in at a time.”

That’s a clear violation of the citizens’ first amendment right to redress the government.

I find this whole being arrested ritual thing to be a bit disturbing. I am not sure why, but it doesn’t feel right…

We the Poor People have God at our back. Clergy of Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Unitarian and other non-denominational sects are coming out of their sanctuaries to risk arrest, for us. And Jesus was a Palestinian Jew and poor, too. He set out to minister to the poor, the sick, the needy and those afflicted by empire and Caesar. Not unlike today. I see a winning strategy here. This ain’t just six weeks, folks!

The king will say to them, “Whenever you failed to help any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me.” Matthew 25:45

I’m pretty sure you are included in this movement. Not countering your contention that you aren’t “poor”, but living paycheck to paycheck all it takes is one difficult life situation to quickly send anyone to that side of the fence.

I’ve been on that side of the fence, struggling to retain some economic stability after a year that included losing my job of 15 years because of health issues, health issues that got worse, and then being forced to move from my home of 15 years (landlord in a heavily gentrified neighborhood chose to do a major renovation of the building to jack up the price). Without family support I would have definitely ended up on the streets.

That is way way too common a precarious situation in this country these days. My post not intended to counter yours.

Yeah, I’m familiar with it. I’ve heard criticism on the Left about it though. Some have argued that it would prevent other progressive change, but I think such change could accompany or follow it. It’s a great idea that I think will gain more traction and examples as time goes on.

I see your point. The way I see it, we got the Reps who unabashedly support the rich and big business, and the mainstream/corporate/moderate Dems who support kind of the same thing albeit less conspicuously - namely, wealthy donors - and the Dems also support very minimal services for those at the lower rung of society, ie those needing food stamps, cash assistance, etc. The middle is forgotten, but it’s true a lot of us are just one pay check or two away from poverty. I guess it’s a crapshoot for most of us as long as wealth and power is so concentrated in this country.