Home | About | Donate

Post-Constitutional America: What We’ve Lost Since 9/11

Post-Constitutional America: What We’ve Lost Since 9/11

Peter Van Buren

Ed Snowden is right. We have lost too many of our freedoms. What the hell happened?

The United States has entered its third great era is what happened. The first, starting from the colonists’ arrival, saw the principles of the Enlightenment used to push back the abuses of an imperial government and create the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The next two hundred some years, imperfect as they were, saw those principles progress, putting into practice what an evolving government of the people might look like.

"Too many Americans, compelled by fear and assured by propaganda..."

The author admits propaganda is a cause.

But he doesn't apply the term to the official story of the events of that fateful day in September, 2001.

"Then, one sharp, blue September 11 morning, everything changed, and our Post-Constitutional era began."

As if by magic, I suppose?

I don't see anything here about the 14-year media cover-up of the facts of September 11.

"What we lost" since then could not have happened without it.

The military invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq were possible only because the American people were bamboozled by the ridiculous official story of that day.

This situation continues and even the so-called progressive media almost entirely ignores it.

Fact: the World Trade Center was blown up with explosives that must have been placed over time by people who had access to the Towers and to WTC7.

There is plenty of proof which shows this fact to be beyond a reasonable doubt. But nothing is done.

This is the only story that matters, because it is the key to everything this article is about.

Firefighters, Architects & Engineers Expose 9/11 Myths - Official Trailer
Movie release date: September 11, 2015

I haven't finished the article, but wanted to comment on two things immediately.

First, I really appreciate Mr. Van Buren's creative use of metaphor.

My second response was elicited by this:

"Those ideas– enshrined in the Bill of Rights– are disarmingly concise, the haiku of a People’s government. Deeper, darker waters lay in front of us, and we are drawn down into them. The king, jealous of the People’s power, wants some back."

The stories that come to us from antiquity--deriving both from Mythology and the Bible--express themes that recur throughout human history.

Mythology recounts the story of Cronus, a zealous Olympian patriarch who secretly devours his own children rather than allow them to mature into rivals for his throne.

When Pharaoh decreed the death of all first-born sons, he was exhibiting this same Cronus response.

Similarly, when news of the birth of a prophet hit Jerusalem, campaigns of carnage were again unleashed... to murder children.

I authored a book that ties the personae of myth to the astrological signs and Cronus fits Capricorn. I've always thought of Richard Nixon as a living embodiment of Cronus; and when he gave the order to shoot down the students at Kent State it brought the myth to life.

Those old conservative men's clubs that jealously guard their power in ways that inhibit what youths can think, do, and accomplish maintain the presence of Cronus in our world.

Wall Street's men's club using its power to get cops to attack all the kids camped out for Occupy Wall St. is another example. This archetype is very powerful at this time as old boy elites use their billions to purchase law and lawmakers that effectively make THEIR will the legal tender of the land.

Much can be learned from the study of these archetypal forces since they are never retired. After all, time is not a linear march towards a distant unknown future; it's circle dances that always return us to where we began: full circle style.

I have a difference of opinion regarding Mr.Van Buren's dates. While it true the Constitution was finally ratified in 1789, before that the United States had The Articles of Confederation: "After considerable debate and alteration, the Articles of Confederation were adopted by the Continental Congress on November 15, 1777. This document served as the United States' first constitution, and was in force from March 1, 1781, until 1789 when the present day Constitution went into effect." So the heading: "Pre-Constitutional America: 1765-1789" is literally accurate regarding the Constitution of the United States, but gives the impression the U. S was still under the Crown until 1789.

The following quote should be "digested" after reading Mr. Christensen's piece today. It does a great job of exposing how bifurcated memes operate:

"The most common meme related to whistleblowers is “Patriot or Traitor?” and toward the war on terror, “Security or Freedom?” There is no widespread movement toward any real change in what the government has been doing. It seems many Americans like it, and support it."

What not enough pundits with platforms are willing to openly say is that the king knew that the best way to regain "his" powers was through the use of an impressive False Flag. Heck, if it could work for Germany--before a mass media was properly in place to endlessly catapult all the necessary propaganda, surely it could work here. And since war abroad opens the door for tyranny at home, said trigger could in one fell swoop eviscerate all of the protections contained in that otherwise airtight Bill of Rights:

"Then, one sharp, blue September 11 morning, everything changed, and our Post-Constitutional era began.

"You know the story: NSA spying, drone killing, Guantanamo, arbitrary arrests and police violence."

Absolute power, being known to corrupt absolutely would not find it difficult to enact a means to its preferred ends.

This is a superb article that answers the question of what is happening to us. Post constitutional America - well that says it all doesn't it?

I hate to say it but those who attacked us on 9/11 knew what would happen to us afterwards. Our leadership took advantage of us in response to a national tragedy. The Patriot Act was ready and waiting and like magic it appeared full grown in our midst. That conspiracy theory about 9/11 I do believe.

But whatever is all the truth about 9/11, that is not what is happening to us now... something else is. The author says it plain and it isn't what we want to believe about ourselves.

We want the idea that we have a bill of rights and a constitution but in reality we have become uncomfortable with the idea of freedom. That 'too much freedom' is somehow bad. Freedom in the abstract but 'security' (a word with many meanings these days) in the real world.

Do we have freedom of speech? When professors can be fired for asking questions? Do you feel free knowing everything you do can be tracked and data mined (amazingly we gave away the power to constantly surveil us to corporations and other private citizens who are their employees.), so now we are watched by government and by corporations. They can know who you called and who called you. They can even read your emails and those of people who emailed you. Feeling free yet?

We now exist in that post constitution America and a whole generation is growing up with a different gestalt than did the constitutional one.

The most terrible of ironies is that the sixties generation of rebellion and its talk of revolution and freedom in all things will be the generation that took away the constitutional guarantees from their children and grandchildren. We did nothing as Bush/Cheney took away the freedoms that we had once cherished and thought that all Americans treasured.

When in a future of climate spawned chaos, where tens of millions are forced to be refugees and things get really scary because guns and tanks can do nothing about megastorms and sea level rise or drought and forest fires... what will be the price freedom when control and 'security' is the only coin of the realm?

9/11 is the elephant in the room that most of the American public and the MSM wants to ignore. And be indifferent to the unequivocal fact that what they have been told is the biggest lie of this century.

I do not know what happened on 9/11, except I know the consummate conspiracy theory is the one told by our government. There is irrefutable truth that the governments explanation of 9/11 is nothing but the most childish fairy tale.

Come on now, we're too far down the road to NOT know what happened.
The Bush Syndicate and its head henchman D.C. completed the coup started by Poppy and only slightly derailed by Clinton (and even less by Obama).
Voila!

A few more thoughts about the role of media in creating and maintaining the clusterf___ called the global war on terror.

Both the mainstream, and all but a tiny fraction of the alternative media seem to me to be like a group of guys standing around a car that won't start.

One guy says, "We should have replaced the starter".

Another guy says, "I'm guilty... I forgot to change the oil."

Another one says he thinks it must be a problem with the radio, another says it's definitely a battery problem, another guy says the dome light seems to be flickering- could that be the cause?

Another guy says he has it on very good authority that the whole problem was a failure in the line assembling the main muffler bearings.

They all argue and call names and blame each other and a few say things like, "Well, I didn't know that something like that could even happen with the stupid muffler bearings. Why wasn't I told?"

Finally, the last guy says that the whole problem has to be that the owner's manual in the glove box is defective, and that a lawsuit against the authors of said manual, the horses they rode in on, and all their heirs and assigns for seven generations, should be initiated right away. "And anyway, someone should have read the damned thing", he says- since HE didn't.

This last master of prevarication and deflection then concludes, "But I erred; and I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY."

(Oh, the horror! Full responsibility!)

Presumably, after enough time passes and enough experts are consulted and enough speeches and apologia are made or written, it is somehow discovered that the gas tank is empty. Then a whole new set of recriminations and "Not Me"s begin.

P.S. Since the above process is apparently meant to go on at least through my lifetime,
I may as well do something that actually has an effect, instead of beating my head against this wall any longer. I hope I can remember I wrote that.

Cursory analysis, IMHO, which misses an extremely important - and timely - point: Much of the "injury" to which the colonists objected was perpetrated by the corporations chartered to monopolize and administer the colonial trade: the British East India Company and the Hudson Bay Company. The people who were most acutely aware of that distinction, at that time, were the rich white male planters and traders who led the insurrection.

Present-day punditry - and judicial malfeasance - which ignores the sensitivity of the founders to the malign power of corporations is contextually-challenged at best. (See Jane Anne Morris's two-part Corporations for the Seventh Generation for more background.)

Despite this shortcoming, and an incorrect word usage ("remuneration;" context suggests "enumeration"), the article makes some good points, primarily:

We have lost too many of our freedoms.

...and, the onset of the post-constitutional era.

“They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Benjamin Franklin 1759

“God grant, that not only the Love of Liberty,
but a thorough Knowledge of the Rights of Man,
may pervade all the Nations of the Earth,
so that a Philosopher may set his Foot
anywhere on its Surface, and say,
‘This is my Country.’”

Benjamin Franklin
		 4 December, 1789

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson
1743-1826

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”
Thomas Jefferson
1743 - 1826
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Pretty wise men, were our Founders.
;-})

We are not a generation that would risk our lives to fight a king for liberty's sake. We are a generation who had liberty and threw it away with the Patriot Act when simply supporting our constitution cost us nothing and risked nothing.

Yet within a few years of those wòrds being put to paper those wise men the founding fathers were orchestrating wars abroad and conflicts at home so as to cement the power of the one percent and expand the power of the state.

The Constitution itself was ignored when convenient by the very people that wrote it. (the First Treaty signed with the First nations peoples deemed the highest law in the landsaccording to the Constitution was broken within two years of being signed by the US Government.

Far from being wise men they were flim flam artists just as Obama is today when he speaks of liberty and freedom and expanding Human rights and democracy` abroad

Now here are the words of another US President.

“The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.

I think it time citizens of the United States of America grow up and set aside these myths they have created for themselves. They have lead directly to the worlds one indispensable and exceptional nation crap. The founding fathers were opportunists lining their pockets with wealth just as has been the case in most nations on this earth.

No Virginia there never was a cherry tree. Mason Locke Meems just made it up,

PatchworkCelt:
"There was no mistaking it: the Bill of Rights was written to make sure that America’s new government would not be the old government of a king. Each important amendment spoke directly to a specific offense committed by the king."
We seem to have lost sight of the fact that when the Bill of Rights was passed, the people (theoretically) became sovereign; the power and authority of government was (supposedly) subject to limitations. Overnight, an expansive notion of the government’s power -- the King can do no wrong; ergo, the King can do anything -- gave way to a contractive notion of its power: the government can do no wrong; ergo, because it would be “wrong” for the government to violate the limitations on its power imposed by the Bill of Rights, there are certain things the government can’t do. When, to one degree or another, all three branches of government have been captured by Big Money, of course, we are ruled not by “the people,” but by a wealthy few who make up a tiny portion of the electorate.

SuspiradeProfundis:

Great quotation from the U.S. president! Who are you quoting?

That was John F Kennedy

Good point. The all-important "checks and balances" feature - the essence of what the founders were trying to write into the constitution, both to produce a stronger government (over the Articles of Confederation) and to constrain it (from producing a king), just doesn't work anymore. Reams have been written as to "why" or "how," but that's no longer the point. Now we know this: "What we have heah, is a failure to 'check and balance.'"

Causes are no longer of concern; remedy is of the essence.

One of the reasons that Bernie Sanders appeals so much to me is that he comes so close to the Jeffersonian notion that we should have a new Constitutional Convention - or a revolution - every generation. I don't think that's literally what he meant when he called for a "revolution" tonight, but he's still closer to it than any other major politician within my memory.

None of those vaunted "checks and balances" allowed any real check by the people whom those in power referred to as the mob.

All those founders did was create a replica of the model already used in the British Empire. In the old British Empire that they rebelled against there were checks and balances between the Crown , the Parliament , filled with rich people and the power of money , and the Church. (Money, Nobility and Church)

What the new US Government did was remove the power of the Church and crown from the equation and vest all that power into the hands of those with money. The "checks and balances" was to ensure one person or group with money and wealth did not take all the power from another person or group with money.( Money , Money and Money) This is why property rights were integral to the Constitution even as they were ignored when the property rights of the First nations peoples were considered..

(another All men are created equal meme even as the guy who wrote it owned men and women and bought and sold them like cattle. George washington obtained a lot of his wealth through land fraud disposessing it from soldiers who had served and from the tribes through methods only a person with money could get away with)

As Howard Zinn suggested in A peoples History , any GOOD that came from the Constitution wherein its words used to deliver rights to the broader population came not from those founders but from the masses of people who truly believed in social justice and equality using the words of the one percent against them.

A true Constitution that was democratic in its essence would subjugate things like profits and property to the will of the people and would be one that the people would have constant and ongoing input on , one being mutable and not fixed for all time as the US one is where the people who are in power and of the 1 percent control all the mechanisms that would allow change.

Good point. I haven't read enough history to be good at parsing the "civics lesson version" from the underlying reality (e.g., the "three branches" checks and balances as an "internal" device, as opposed to the "rich and powerful protecting their own interests" as the foundation. The Electoral College would be another example illustrating your point, I believe?

The founders' rhetoric, esthetically pleasing as it was, apparently bore little relationship to reality. In fact, it was essentially what we would now call PR.

(Humorous proposed American mythology revision: "A Shining City on Somebody Else's Hill")

What an appealing idea!