Home | About | Donate

Praising Restorative Justice, Ilhan Omar Asks Judge to 'Show Compassion' for Man Who Threatened to Put Bullet in Her Head

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/19/praising-restorative-justice-ilhan-omar-asks-judge-show-compassion-man-who

3 Likes

She’s got a helluva lot more compassion than I do.

12 Likes

I read another article today on CD concerning the ongoing war and animosity of Israelis and Palestinians. The blog was littered with, they shot first, no they shot first rhetoric, and on and on in a never ending circle of blame and violence.
Ilhan says the circle of hate must be broken with compassion and understanding. Such a brave and wise woman, especially so in view of all the vile hatred being spewed at her and her beliefs, as it would seem so much easier to answer in kind. We love you Ilhan. You are a much needed role model at this chaotic moment in history.

24 Likes

“We will not defeat it with anger and exclusion,” Omar wrote. “We will defeat it with compassion.”

Exactly!

11 Likes

That’s one classy lady. I hope the voters in her district in MN. understand what they’ve got in MS. Omar.

15 Likes

Bernie2020 leads to Ilhan2024 leads to AOC2032.

7 Likes

She’s got a helluva lot more compassion than the Hypo-Krystians would have in the same situation.

8 Likes

Sorry, but Omar was born in Somalia. DAMN!

2 Likes

oh, we do.

7 Likes

My bad! You are right. Got caught up in the moment! lol (maybe we can annex Somalia into the United States)

3 Likes

We will not defeat it with anger and exclusion," Omar wrote. “We will defeat it with compassion.”
Exactly. And amazing isn’t it? A Muslum saying something so Christian! Kinda gets ya thinkin’ don’t it?

6 Likes

Her line ‘…president who will fight against western imperialism’ may just be the best soundbite of this election so far.

3 Likes

Ilhan Omar has more courage & compassion than I’ve seen in any politician in very, very long time.

Bless you Ilhan Omar, Bless you

7 Likes

Omar is a TRUE HERO…

we need more americans to be like her. She as a muslim speaks/acts better than so called christians that wear white sheets over their heads to attend rallies

6 Likes

Omar may be a Muslim, but she sounds more Christian than most Christians!

4 Likes

We often think of compassion as weakness. She just showed us that compassion requires strength and tremendous courage.

7 Likes

That’s very dignified and evolved of you, Ilhan, but I think u should have said “show compassion but also lock this guy up for the rest of his life.”
This reminds me of abused women who give their abuser a break, and then he comes back later and kills them.

3 Likes

That’s what Christians do…I mean…ummm…what am I trying to say?

Proof that she is unamerican and unchristian. A true christian 'murikan would be calling for the guys execution or at least locking him in jail and throwing away the key. Our whole justice system in based on revenge not justice, like our good book says. How dare she come to the USA and try to dampen our lust for vengence. How will we justify our next war? /s

4 Likes

Several comments about the similarity to Christianity.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are Abrahamic religions. A family tree, if you will.

From firsthand experience in a predominantly Muslim country, having grown up in a Protestant household and community, I was far more impressed with the practice of their faith, as exemplified by Ilhan’s response and her public statements of compassion.

If anything can be construed as ‘progressive’, it would be to embrace these sorts of values, not only in words and statements, but in how we live our lives.

A beautiful peace to her, and us all.

7 Likes