Home | About | Donate

#PrayForAmazonia Goes Viral as Twitter Users Call Attention to 'International Emergency' of Fires Ravaging Brazil's Rainforest

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/20/prayforamazonia-goes-viral-twitter-users-call-attention-international-emergency

4 Likes

I’m looking for the documentary evidence. Sometimes it takes a few decades to surface. It’s invariably the case that when a Bolsonaro desposes a Lula, our bipartisan National Endowment for Democracy (&c., &c.) was behind it. Bolsonaro may be an asshole, incinerating the lungs of the planet, but he’s our asshole.

5 Likes

From Siberia to the Amazon…“our world is on fire and I want you to panic”, Greta. My site is full of tears, I have stopped.

4 Likes

“Pray” for the Amazon? Men are committing these crimes and other men must stop them because they are deranged and ignorant and do not care! The International community must act and not dither or whine abour propriety!

You can bet your ass that fuckin pig bolsonaro and his crony scum are responsible for this crime against the planet! They are also committing genocide against the indigenous peoples of Amazonia! Say it! Genocide happening right now!

Since the idiot trump isn’t intelligent enough or gives a rats ass about anything other than money and his loathsome pathological ego, he doesn’t know how much of a devastating effect this destruction has, and will have, on weather across North America affecting farmers everywhere! This is what comes when the criminally insane are allowed to hold public office!

Amazonia is a “weather engine” that determines and moderates the Jet Stream and weather across America and if destroyed you can kiss all we know goodfreakinby. Two fooking eejits blind to what they are doing - or not caring at all. They should both be in the dock at The Hague for crimes against humanity and Mother Earth!

Brazil and all the Earth desperately need sanity and Lula now!

26 Likes

It would be nice if James Hansen was there in New York City to welcome Greta and crew ashore, fates willing.

Up here the great equilibrium prevails - no summer to speak of - just a vast uniformity in climate from the line to the Arctic Ocean.

1 Like

Ditton, this is too big for our tears to stop anyway. This story has been around for three weeks as the article eludes to. The Sierra Club and other environmental groups have long suffered to send the message that we are killing our planet.
If we continue to cry individual tears instead of major governmental action, we have graduated from slow boiling frog, to pretty well cooked.

8 Likes

Prayer isn’t going to work as there is no accountable “god” anywhere –

As the Native American made clear, Prayer is simply about trying to influence the fates.

And our fate was sealed long ago in 350 years of Capitalist greed and exploitation here
where Nature has been under attack every moment of those years – along with animal
life and our natural resources – and even other human beings according to various myths
of ‘inferiority.’

As our scientists have repeatedly said – There is no way to know how all of this will compound
and what the effects may be. Accuweather last week in reporting HAIL storm in Michigan and
ICE STORM in Colorado – also reported that when it rains now it is raining plastic.

This may be the “runaway Global Warming” the United Nations has been warning us of –

Remember that while our scientists were warning us of Global Warming effects – especially
Glacier melting – that would be taking place over hundreds and hundreds of years or more,
they quickly found that the Glaciers were melting below their feet.

13 Likes

As long as there are borders, greed, and human insanity (YES! INSANITY!), even minimally expecting countries to work together under a common “flag” to acknowledge and protect the Earth as a FIRST PRIORITY, we may as well save our efforts to reach the leaders who hold the planet’s fate in their selectively blind and greed-driven hands.

4 Likes

Outrage is simply not enough! Everyday some new climate catastrophe makes the news - ice disappearing, massive methane releases, Siberia burning, heat records being set, floods and now the Amazon. It is all connected and it is accelerating but nothing is done as the rational and logical choices demanded are too radical. We would rather destroy our environment than change our lifestyle.

7 Likes

This was obvious from day one. The Excited States of Paranoia strikes again…

2 Likes

Ya, and all of it’s on fire. Please read page 8 of my climate pages, Thx.

1 Like

I have it posted on page 5 or 6 If I remember rightly. Hey Wiz have you read page 8 yet? Please do.

1 Like

Wile E. Coyote of the North!

2 Likes

Were I to pray to God, I would ask them (my God is Intersex, so I’m careful not to drop that I): “Please Lord, could you find a way to suggest folks stop bothering you and get to work?”

“What in the hell do you think I’ve been doing?” God replies.

2 Likes

Iceland just held a funeral for the first glacier killed by climate change:

4 Likes

I advise moving predictions for carbon PPM to 500 very soon.
We’ll be blowing past 450 in under ten years.

2 Likes

Humankind need look no further than itself: This has to be a turning point when we get out in the streets in massive numbers. Are we up to the task, the emergency?

2 Likes

Bolsonaro is a greedy maniac who needs to be removed from his position of power.

7 Likes

We in the US and in Brazil must do a citizen arrest of both Bolsonaro and Trump.

7 Likes

In case you missed this:

5 Likes