Home | About | Donate

'Preaching Is More Than Words': Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II Delivers Soaring Sermon in Honor of Martin Luther King Jr.

'Preaching Is More Than Words': Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II Delivers Soaring Sermon in Honor of Martin Luther King Jr.

Jon Queally, staff writer

To mark what would be the 90th birthday of civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr. this year, Rev. Dr. William Barber II—architect of the Moral Monday movement in North Carolina and co-chair of the national Poor People's Campaign—delivered a sermon on Monday about what is means to preach and why, as Dr. King exemplified, good people of all backgrounds and beliefs "must march, organize and fight" against injustice wherever it is found.

4 Likes

Indeed and thank you Rev. Barber.

https://therealnews.com/stories/mlk-documentary-when-silence-becomes-betrayal

Yes, it is time we hate the hate. This is different than hating the hater.

8 Likes

There is some kind of poetic justice in that long arc being commemorated in the sphere of beauty and reality generating a whole bunch of people getting up off the status quos and shaking off the neolibcon hydra headed twaddle of reality TV failing in its attempts under the guise of governance.

The healthy hearts and minds across this continent FAR OUTSTRIP the immoral, insensate dissociative scrambling of an abusive economic “theory” - and yes, we must ALWAYS keep in mind that it is a now proving a FAILED theory.

LUKE 9:48 Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

There you have a bit of direction into the nature of the strength and value of humility… and it is VAST.

Thank you for the preaching Dr. Barber and the whole evolving cleansing from the toxicity of power blind to the universality of strength in unity in diversity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJmw-Dsp0A

7 Likes

Amen

The Liberation Theology that Dr Barber speaks to is born of harsh Faith and Extraordinary Sacrifice

As it Should Be

The Molding of Perfect Soul Requires no less
Bless the Soul of Bishop Romero

And Bless the Souls of the Persecuted

Love is a Verb… It’s Affect is Only Rendered by Action

If We do not Stand Unto the Breach

Our Faith means Nothing

We must Stand for the Respect and Protection of our World Family

And that Includes the Forests and Seas and the Life they Engender

5 Likes

You had me at Luke 9:48

2 Likes

Reverend Barber, in addition to being a great social and spiritual leader, is one of the best orators of our time. That is important, because if you have the greatest message that ever was but can’t convey it to the ones who need to hear it and awaken them, it is for nothing. The Black Prophetic Tradition is wide and deep, but Reverend barber is one of the best, in a league with Reverend King himself and with FDR

6 Likes

You may be familiar with the writing of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in particular The Cost of Discipleship, and also Letters and Papers from Prison.__

2 Likes

Rev. Barber says: “ To preach is to see the people who are crying out and the systems that are crushing them.” I don’t disagree, but would add that people are being “crushed” today, and don’t know that they are! Global warming is occurring, the media is “silent” about it, so that people don’t know about it; but it’s likely to “crush” our SPECIES soon (i.e., render it EXTINCT!).

A Brilliant Sermon.

Can you imagine comforting reassuring words coming from the mouth of our bigoted President?

It has not escaped the attention of Progressives that Mr. Trump went to the MLK memorial in Washington laid a wreath and got out of there as quickly as possible.

Without saying a word he swiftly got back into his Limo so his White Supremacist friends would not notice that he was paying tribute to Doctor King, which is an unforgivable gesture to the vast number of Bigots still roaming every corner of the American landscape.

What a shameful disgusting human being we have dwelling in the White House. “Make America Bigots Again”.

1 Like