Home | About | Donate

Preparing for the Long Haul Under the Trump Administration

Preparing for the Long Haul Under the Trump Administration

Frida Berrigan

By now, my inchoate hopes that our nation will just wake up from the bad dream of Trump — or even more remotely that he’ll be impeached by a radicalized Congress — have turned to dust and floated away. He seems here to stay, and I need to figure out how to stay human, stay upright, with him in the White House. I need to be thinking about the long haul, about a life and a lifestyle of resistance, as opposed to a posture of resistance.

Reading this was powerful for me. Almost verbatim I've been asking myself the same question about how to cope, what do I do, what CAN we do? This delivered some sense of community apart from just my personal circle.. That there are others 'struggling' ; yet still finding a way to move fwd. The last thing I want to see is for those of us who view humanity as One and value the collective - is for us to withdraw. Our energy and spirit is required out on the open and in full sight.

You are a very brave and courageously dedicated soul Frida (maybe something in the genes?) but you are both trained in and familiar with the long haul perspective. It may be that what was will be something else again in the future. I mean that events are not following the long haul pattern. Trump isn't LBJ who tried both guns and butter but produced buckets of blood that wouldn't wash away easily. Trump isn't Nixon who cloaked buckets of blood beneath Kissinger's guns and margarine. Trump isn't even Reagan who went for the guns and forgot the butter entirely. Trump isn't any of them, not even no fly zone Clinton nor Bush I who was definitely smarter than Bush II/Cheney. He isn't even Obama who is starting to seem smarter than we all thought the longer Trump is around.

Trump isn't following the patterns that we find in the past. He mixes up ingredients as he sees fit and rushes the stew to the table before it is ready to be served. Risky business that. Riskier still is his introducing a ruling elite to the hands on managerial status. His billionaires are now hands on department heads and not just behind the scenes funders.

The long haul may play out to be something that history will claim shouldn't have been allowed to take place. We moved slow (the long haul) and Trump moved with inconsiderate speed. When Trump is done (assuming he is allowed to get away with it and is not impeached) he will have instituted all the missing pieces for a permanent corporate coup.

In my opinion... that will mean hard times and buckets later. Trump and cronies aren't really deniers as much as they are in fact believers in climate change, however they want to be in charge as climate change goes critical and simply don't care that they could possibly avert the worst of it now. Instead Trump is setting up an authoritarian denialist corporate coup to control the response to shocking climate change. That will become a serious problem soon enough.

Remember ... Trump and cronies all know what they are doing... they just don't care.

We really do need more than "resistance" or "reaction" for a long haul. We have an agenda for that, and we need to actively promote IT. Part of our agenda is making this administration a short haul!

Trump and cronies aren't really deniers as much as they are in fact believers in climate change, however they want to be in charge as climate change goes critical and simply don't care that they could possibly avert the worst of it now.

Absolutely true and this goes for all of the deniers in Congress as well. These people know full well what is happening but are served by continuing to impose the denier charade on the unsuspectingly ignorant.

Poetry is the thing that saves me. At the moment I am taking a deeper look at the Imagists. I also am doing some volunteer work that feeds my soul.

Most human beings are still unconscious (as they have been for millennia) but there is an awakening going on in our midst. It will advance the next stage in our evolution, moving from us/them consciousness to a realization of our true identity, as part of the One Consciousness. Each person's response to the present political climate will be necessarily different, but they will all be a combination of Being and Doing.Those who lean towards exclusively "doing," will not be helping either themselves nor the broader movement. It is up to each of us to awaken, to become conscious (slow down the thinking-addicted mind), and the path forward will become clearer. If enough people wake up, Tolle believes the earth can still be salvaged.

" However they want to be in charge as climate change goes critical."

No doubt about it, Trump's cabal of climate deniers can't all be that stupid! They see it as a business opportunity. How long before they will be selling us clean, breathable air.