Home | About | Donate

'Presidential Endorsement of Murder': Trump Pardon of US Soldier Who Tortured, Killed Iraqi Prisoner Spurs Outrage

'Presidential Endorsement of Murder': Trump Pardon of US Soldier Who Tortured, Killed Iraqi Prisoner Spurs Outrage

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

President Donald Trump on Monday evening pardoned an American soldier for murdering an Iraqi prisoner in 2008, generating outrage from progressives and human rights activists.

"This pardon is a presidential endorsement of a murder that violated the military's own code of justice" — Hina Shamsi, ACLU

First Lt. Michael Behenna was sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2009 for the murder, and released on parole in 2014.

1 Like

The Blame for America’s abusive treatment of foreigners is not solely the fault of Trump the Bigot.

THIS IS WHAT AMERICA HAS BECOME, GODDAMN SADISTIC BULLIES.

9 Likes

There have always been a few bad apples scattered around the armed forces units everywhere.
I thought 5 years of a 25 year sentence was lenient enough. But I don’t know the circumstances.
It is though, Trump’s desire to piss off the people every day in office.

2 Likes

Trump scores more points with his base.

Meanwhile, the Ds hope to peel off moderate Republican votes with center-right Uncle Joe, while telling liberals to shut up and enjoy not having anywhere else to go.

Sounds like Trump’s winning formula for 2020 is all set.

9 Likes

Of course you mean his HATE-BASED BASE.

1 Like

You know how large sports arenas are named after large corporations, for a price of course, well, I’m beginning to believe the United States of America would be better renamed, Murder, Inc. after the U.S. Military.

7 Likes

For someone who has called for violence in a few comments, Clyde, you sure can point a finger at those who hate.

Of course, it’s easy to get worked up. But getting worked up doesn’t win back the 190,000 voters in my state who switched from voting Obama in 2012 to voting Trump in 2016.

You know, those “deplorables.”

1 Like

What is a nation if it has no integrity or principles? The nation has put a leader in place who has neither of these and look where we land. This kind of action opens pandora’s box and lowers standards of decency and morality. Trump is a demon and he has powers that allow him to weave his madness and corruption into the world at large. We as a nation should hang our head in shame.

1 Like

And change the narrative FROM: " thank you for your service" to: " THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO MURDER, INC!

2 Likes

Are we talking about the US military or some mafia outfit?

1 Like

OK I’ll bite: what are YOUR ideas for how to win back the 190,000 people in your state who voted for Trump? I’m a white 61 y-o progressive woman who’d LOVE to know. My own brother has gone off the deep end for Trump!
And NO, my brother is NOT economically displaced. He’s 60 y-o got a solid job with the U.S. GOVERNMENT making $73,000+ a year. Just PAID OFF HIS HOUSE. Has only ONE child.
Yet. in the last couple of months when he’s called me, he doesn’t even say hello–just starts RAVING about the “illegals at the southern border”. (He lives in TX–our home state tho I now live in MN). He’s a former Marine(well, no Marine is ever “former”) & NEVER WENT TO WAR. He’s never been a crime victim either.

I’m low-income, disabled, have been a victim of violent crime, live in public housing (w/refugees from Africa no less). I’ve got PLENTY of “reasons” I could be all racist pro-Trump–but, I’m NOT. Obviously, whatever is gong on with at least SOME Trump supporters has damn little to do with ECONOMICS (tho I sure think for SOME people that’s exactly what it is–DISPLACING their anger from the 1% to vulnerable SCAPEGOATED groups.
So. help us out & EXPLAIN how do you reach Trump supporters? I recommend everyone read recent article by Salon/AlterNet writer CHAUNCEY DEVEGAS on how TRUMP has CREATED A CULT around himself. It makes the most sense as to what blocks getting through to people.

5 Likes

To my way of thinking, Amerika is not a democracy, but a MAFIAOCRACY, that uses the military as it’s world wide hit men to protect the vested interests of it’s oligarchy.

6 Likes

very, very insightful !

2 Likes

Outrageous! A future far more surreal than Orwell imagined, is upon us.

1 Like

Given how the First Nations peoples treated when those first Europeans landed in the Americas and given the legacy of slavery and the lynching of blacks, Italians and Mexicans and how the USA treated peoples resisting their invasion of the Filipinos , I think the USA started off as sadistic bullies. They are living up to the values of the “founding fathers”.

7 Likes

Violence and hate are mutually exclusive at times. How has efforts “by the book” helped “We the People” so far?! The government is in the hands of the wealthy who wield power simply because of many dollars. I don’t see getting the government in the hands of those who OWN IT (PEOPLE!) coming by being sweet and kind and afraid to CONFRONT! What is your suggestion? Same old, same old? Write letters, call, type, bitch and moan to the choir? Me? I’ve had enough of expecting that all will change if we are patient and “play by the rules”. Any idiot can see that is a path to nowhere!!!

2 Likes

I do not think you can reach those people and especially if they family. I have siblings that I would deem hard conservatives and albeit that very different then the Trump supporter (as even they abhor Trump) I learned long ago not to argue politics with them. I think there too much of “sibling rivalry” involved.

It easier with a total stranger.

2 Likes

We should hang our heads in shame at every one of the last 4 presidents, at Least.
Trump is the result of a broken, corrupt system. He is not the main problem.

5 Likes

PLEASE don’t put all of the military personnel into one basket. I get your point but there are those wearing uniforms (few…granted) that work INSIDE that system for right and for peace. I know some personally. But, again, your comment is understandable and, for the most part, I do agree. Those who do the bidding without question are TRAITORS to “We the People”. I wish it were a black/white issue, but…

4 Likes

Nice reply. I also have relatives that were in Iraq.

[quote=“Clyde_Crebbafrabitz, post:19, topic:63250”]
PLEASE don’t put all of the military personnel into one basket.
I don’t, because most believe they are patriotic and doing the right thing like my nephew, who had an IED explode by him and was injured. He is a very brave and patriotic but in my view, his bravery and patriotism is being used for the most egregious reasons.

3 Likes