Home | About | Donate

Press Corps to President-Elect Trump: Rules Are Ours to Set—Not Yours

Press Corps to President-Elect Trump: Rules Are Ours to Set—Not Yours

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

As Donald Trump prepares to take office, the U.S. press corps has offered the president-elect—whose relationship with the media is dicey at best—"a backgrounder on what to expect from us over the next four years."

The election of Emperor/president Trump is such a gift to the left --- if they would get their heads screwed on correctly and understand this unique strategic opportunity to leverage his being the 'Poster-Boy for Empire':

Although the non-strategic-thinking; leftish, progressive-lite weights, and pseudo alt-media dopes have not even begun to recognize the biggest present that Trump's presidency/Empire gives them in igniting a real "Political Revolution against EMPIRE" --- let me unwrap Trump's present of his 'exposure' of EMPIRE, so that the ersatz left can enjoy and play with it:

We will have never had such a perfect opportunity to develop and mount the 'essential' "Political Revolution against EMPIRE" than under the boot of this exact example of an overt; "Empire-building", 'Empire-thinking', 'Empire-owner', and actual Emperor/president Trump ---- under whose 'boot' the vast majority of even media/propaganda-deluded American powerless 'subjects' of this Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE, should soon be able to recognize, literally 'see', learn, understand, and ignite our 'essential' Second American "Political Revolution against EMPIRE".

ttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064W5BPM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

In addition to Trump himself, of course, his cabinet of Corporate Emperors and Empires, like Rex Tillerson's "Private EMPIRE" of Exxon --- would allow an awake, engaged, and serious left to "bring down this Empire", if it only started thinking instead of wasting time on hundreds of distractive little "identity issues" --- all of which are caused by exactly the same effin Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE.

[BTW, Tillerson's predecessor as CEO/Emperor of the Exxon 'Private Empire' was
the even tougher, Lee Raymond, who interestingly was the Exxon CEO who Dick Cheney invited to one of those secret 'energy/war planning' meetings in the White House in early 2001 (well before the Iraq war or 9/11 was ginned-up), and was allowed by Cheney to address the assembled senior military chiefs in order to give this not so veiled hint: "In the past we have acquire oil through 'market-based means', but in the future we will have to use 'extra-market-means'" --- which did not leave much doubt in the Generals' minds. Of course, that is precisely what
the current Emperor-elect, Trump, even more bluntly meant when he very openly and publicly said, "We should just 'take' the oil"]

Under the inevitable and obvious 'Empire-regime' of Trump, which has subsumed both the 'rougher-talking' (and tweeting) neocon 'R' Vichy Party and the now dead and deceitful 'smoother-lying' neoliberal-con 'D' Vichy Party, the American people, despite all the sectors of this Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE; corporate, financial, militarist, media/propaganda, extra-legal, CFR 'Plotting-Think- Tank', and the dual-party Vichy-political sectors of the EMPIRE --- even the majority of Americans will be empowered to fire a; loud, public, sustained, but non-violent "Shout heard round the world" to ignite the essential Second American "Political Revolution against EMPIRE".

As with making 'lemon aid' --- when you have an Emperor, use what you have to build a broad-based and winning anti-Empire Revolution.

We've been dealt an Emperor and 'Empire-thinking' megalomaniac --- let's hope
Americans of all perspectives take the opportunity we've been dealt to make as broad a batch of anti-Empire Revolution as our founders did when the British Empire started 'exposing' itself as acting like an anti-democracy and anti-representative Empire ---- which all monopoly Empires overplay in spades.

Additional documentation on Trump Empire:

"The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard,“U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus (of hard and soft superpower) to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system'.
We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist
imperialism. We face an EMPIRE OF GLOBAL CAPITAL, (merely) headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington."

Robinson, William I. (2014-07-31). Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity
(p. 122). Cambridge University Press. Kindle Edition.

But by 2011, and after the massive costs of the 2008/9 global financial collapse,
the Empire's Think Tank fully understood that the Empire itself, its 'close-in' metropole, and the global system could only afford to support emoluments to a more traditional American Empire --- which would have to turn back to "Making America's EMPIRE Great Again".

In point of fact, Trump's concept of running on the slogan "Make America Great
Again" was actually developed much earlier by a CFR research study, and took the concept from their "Renewing America Initiative":

"The year 2011 also saw a major new CFR program, the Renewing America
initiative, a prime example of “mission creep,” that is, the recent
tendency for the Council to expand its focus of activity beyond foreign
policy to the domestic realm. The CFR leadership believes that this new
initiative is needed because the underpinnings of U.S. global power are
weakening as unsolved problems grow within the country."

Shoup, Laurence H. (2015-08-22). Wall Street's Think Tank: The Council on
Foreign Relations and the Empire of Neoliberal Geopolitics, 1976-2014
(Kindle Locations 1586-1591). Monthly Review Press. Kindle Edition.

Unfortunately, some non-strategic-thinking leftish authors, even here on TD, are still wasting time and distracting attention from the seminal problem of Empire, by suggesting that we need to confront and revolt against the "Deep State" instead of the EMPIRE ---- as if there was ever a successful popular Revolution or "Political Revolution" by any people anywhere against a 'Deep State', an oligarchy, a plutocracy, or an 'inverted totalitarianism' (whatever the hell that overly academic term is supposed to mean). But there was, right here in America, and remembered by the vast majority of average Americans, a First (and only successful) Revolution against EMPIRE (the British one) 241 years ago that freed our colonialist 'subjects' and forefathers from a nearly global Empire --- which all people easily understand, and could easily be rallied to undertake by firing a; loud, public, sustained, but
non-violent "Shout heard round the world" to ignite a real Second American "Political Revolution against EMPIRE" --- although neither the "Occupy" movement nor Bernie Sanders has had any success either time in promoting an essential "Political Revolution" with no object, and without mentioning even the 'word' EMPIRE, which I would call "two strikes" and no hit yet!

We as Americans must peacefully confront this 'effectively disguised', 'truly global' and 'capitalist-fueled' EMPIRE if we are to have any chance to save; ourselves, our children, our grand-children, our (empire captured) country, and our world.

Finally! Someone is finally letting trump know that he doesn't get to set the rules. About time! Now, if Congress will only step up.

Both Columbia Journalism Review editor, Kyle Pope, and CNN Reporter, Jim Acosta, who Trump shouted-down in his Press Conference, better be mindful that Trump is on record as saying, "I could shoot someone on the sidewalk and nobody would care".

Now that's something that Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin could well have said and done with utter impunity, or as Noam Chomsky might say, "would have been unremarkable" for any of the nasty four Emperors.

Can't really blame Trump for taking a stand against the media, given the wonderful job "our" media is doing with this Red Scare nonsense and the wonderful work it did during the primaries. And I'm not a Trump supporter, either.

I like your perspective that Trump is probably the best thing that could have happened to destroy U.S. Empire. It is not Trump that needs to be exposed as having no clothes, but the American Empire, because Trump is just the result of our fascist, world wide, Empire.

Also, Noam Chomsky quote that is appropriate to the incoming Administration even though he said about the outgoing Administration:
" It is very similar to the late Weimar Germany, the parallels are striking."

Yes, chunique, I'm sure that "Now Congress will step up" --- at least as forcefully as Hindenburg did.

Great post.
I'd add that the strategies are colonization-based (the only legacy of method predatory capitalism knows how to do). Its extra easy because mass media is the grease, the process and content all rolled into one: the consumer version of colonization 4.0.

Download new operating systems and start to work out the bugs. Some of the best principles pre-date the industrial revolution and originate with ' non-christian' peoples. We need variety, diversity, energy, courage, and a good strong dance for the long haul. There are lots of teachers out here to study with.

Why isn't there any talk of a Twitter boycott unless they stop providing a platform for Trump? An off-the-cuff, unfiltered comment by a world leader about other leaders/countries/religions, etc. could easily have damaging results that nobody wants or deserves. After all, which platform has been more destructive lately, Fox, Breitbart, or Twitter? If you look at Twitter's rules of conduct, it's obvious that several rules have been broken.

When the orange emperor trashed the senior White House CNN correspondent, Jim Acosta, at his fake news-conference, shouting Acosta down and refusing his question, it would have been brilliant if the other reporters would have had the courage and integrity (and foresight) to create an "I'm Spartacus!" moment and ask the same question - that of course did not happen and I wonder (well actually I don't) if the media has the integrity to play hard-ball with the trump regime. If they let trump get away with his usual lies & garbage, they will have a very rough 4 years - unless they play lap-dog...............the only thing a bully respects is a punch in the nose.............like the Richard Pryor character entering prison, they "gotta get bad" - "That's right....we bad. We don't take no shit"

Thanks greatly, Shantiananda, for your exacting precision, support, and reinforcement in words that are far more brief, concise, and rallying than mine.

We seem to be in an era of such narrow militarism and predation that our methodologies MUST BE the antidote in every action. Life is a spectrum and the correlate to a narrow system is that there is a breadth that has been ' externalized' by the incumbent powers. The longer they do so, the more they must extract.
We share this conundrum with the Tea Party and other disenfranchised self-identifying groups. Building bridges means learning about each other as brothers and sisters.
I find the thinking of George Lakey frequently presenting humorous and sound perspectives as well as observations on potential actions.

Anyone foolish enough to think than the corporate media is looking out for the people gets what they deserve. All we see here is a struggle between two nodes of power for supremacy. The "Press" is upset because someone doesn't kowtow to them in the way they have expected people to. Trump is upset because someone doesn't swoon charmed by his impressive macho ways.

Think two moose butting heads. That's all this is folk.

where were all the brave reporters when Trump was denouncing their colleagues at his so-called "press" conference???????

Thank you for your most kind reply. I always enjoy your perspicacious, perspectives.

It's telling that this critique is coming from an academic, NOT the heads of the media outlets. When I hear THEM, or more to the point the actual reporters, speak out in this way, then I will believe something historic is happening.

" Why isn't there any talk of a twitter boycott?"

According to some estimates, Trump has a following of many millions on twitter. So a boycott of twitter would probably not work.

I have to admit.....I kind of enjoy watching the MSM squirm in outrage that they cannot set the narrative every time.

In a couple of days the U.S. is going to continue to have an imperialistic president and a corporate run press. What else is new?