Home | About | Donate

Probe Targets NATO Torture and Abuse in Afghanistan

Probe Targets NATO Torture and Abuse in Afghanistan

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

Prosecutors for the International Criminal Court declared Thursday that they have information which "suggests" that U.S.-led, international forces in Afghanistan are responsible for "physical and psychological" violence and torture that "debased the basic human dignity" of those detained.

"Prosecutors for the International Criminal Court declared Thursday that
they have information which "suggests" that U.S.-led, international
forces in Afghanistan are responsible for "physical and psychological"
violence and torture that "debased the basic human dignity" of those
detained."

Really? How odd of us not to have noticed this before.

I am really glad to hear about this change of focus, which of course should have been done long back. But better late than never! I find the International Criminal Court a fine institution, which regretfully has not been allowed to function optimally. One obstacle is that the US administrations again and again refuse to become a member, knowing very well that their own leaders will be prosecuted. Consequently, I do not perceive inadequate action by the ICC as being due to lack of wish to do so; mighty powers are working against justice to war crimes and any other corporate/government crimes. Conclusively, this is a step in the right direction, which in my opinion should be applauded. Now we must wait and see what the ICC are able and willing to do.

Actually it goes back to at least Vietnam and probably much longer than that. Torture was routinely used on the Vietnamese by both their own corrupt government and by the US military. I first heard of water boarding when I was in Vietnam. I never witnessed torture but it was common knowledge that it was being used. Another torture method was taking two or more suspected Viet Cong up in a helicopter and throwing one out to get the others to talk.