Home | About | Donate

Progressive Democrats of America Support Rep. Jayapal's Medicare For All Act of 2019

Progressive Democrats of America Support Rep. Jayapal's Medicare For All Act of 2019

Alan Minsky

As the Executive Director of Progressive Democrats of America (PDA), I am writing on behalf of our activists to urge all Americans to ask their member of Congress to cosponsor of Rep. Pramila Jayapal’s Medicare for All Act of 2019.

PDA was founded in 2004 to organize in favor of policies for all the people—not just the powerful—including expanded and improved Medicare for All.

Hold your horses there, Mr Minsky.

Seeing is believing, taking your word for something is a license for getting hoodwinked.

5 Likes

Has the text of the bill been released to other organizations yet? Or the public? Was it worth tossing out HR 676 in order to add medical transportation?

Have the flaws been resolved that were found by Health Over Profit for Everyone?

They found:
"Here are the serious flaws we are aware of:

1. It allows investor-owned facilities
  2. It keeps almost half the population out for an extra year
  3. It may exclude undocumented immigrants from the national system and leave it to states to decide."

https://mailchi.mp/creativeresistance/health-over-profit-take-action-now-to-strengthen-the-medicare-for-all-bill

3 Likes

Thanks for the posts above. This is the 2nd story today at CD talking about how great Jayapal’s bill is, thought I missed the rollout. So I guess this bill is going to be like the original Patriot Act, vote on it before you see it.

3 Likes

We all need to see the bill before supporting it.
The bill must eliminate private insurance companies. These is essential to prevent Congress watering down universal coverage and then blaming it on an underfunded “failed system”.
There should be NO PREMIUMS. In advanced countries like Canada, no one pays anything for their healthcare. Instead all healthcare comes out of the total tax payer trough.
The new healthcare system must include universal drug coverage. What good is a free hospital if the prescription bankrupts you?
Emphasis should be on the fact that we cannot afford any other alternative. Under the current system Americans will shell out another 10 trillion dollars over the next ten years. This is unsustainable.
Unless we see a 'Healthcare Bill" that includes such basic requirements, expect to be hoodwinked.

2 Likes

If you are so strongly committed to advocating for Single Payer Universal Healthcare, then why are you pushing for everyone to support this watering down of what was a good bill?

WHY?

Why not advocate that they just re-issue the previous H.R. 676?

WHY?

1 Like

Well gawwww-ly, Mr. Minsky, if yore “Healthcare is a Human Right issue” boys have seen it in private like ‘n say its good, spares me th’ trouble o’ looking at th’ durned thing afore I start calling!

1 Like