Home | About | Donate

Progressive Patriotism for July 4

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/04/progressive-patriotism-july-4

Wishing everyone a Happy Brand America Day!

6 Likes

This essay is exactly what I wanted, and was hoping to read this morning, thanks so much to the authors! The sun is up, the wind is not blowing, the birds are chirping, looks like a very fine beginning of this day, Love and Peace to all!

7 Likes

The organized crime syndicate disguised as today’s US gubmit has elevated its agenda beyond “nationalism”. to jingoism, which until now has been characterized by aggressive foreign relations. The current regime has created domestic jingoism as well.

5 Likes

I guess that must be what trump really meant when he said he was going to drain the swamp…the clear recognition of swampians like him, and to get them ALL out of our government. Happy 4th everyone!

1 Like

So grateful for this article today. Highlighting these progressive and patriotic advocates for equality and justice raised my spirits and renewed my energy for action on these values.

So another nationalist imbroglio finally ends. The Grandstander-in-Chief got the nods he was looking for, constitutionally incapable as he is of seeing such mass head-rolling as his affiliates’ boredom, complacency and inertia.

3 Likes

I do not believe in patriotism any more than I do nationalism.
As a person born in the US I had nothing to do with my accident of birth on US ‘soil’. I am certainly glad because of that accident that I was not born to a starving Sudanese or oppressed Indonesian minority and so on but accidents confer no loyalty or allegiance imho.
But I also could have been born a black man in Alabama or on the Hellish concentration camp of the Windriver Reservation in the Dakotas to a drug addicted mother… do any of you think those folks should have patriotic feelings toward the USA? Should they push down the evil that was and is being done to them and wave the flag and sing the blood soaked anthem…?
My parents were older( born 1910 and 1913) when I was born (1956). When I was around 9 my dad put up a flagpole and flag on our terrace. A few years and more education later I said why? They said patriotism. I said what about the way black people are treated? They had plenty of stories about when my dad did work in the Deep South and brought foreman and laborers from PA down and had to drive them to the ‘negro motel’ and the ‘negro diner’ and they could not stay together or eat together… a few days later I came home from a day at a friend’s and both the flag and the pole were gone…we never displayed anything patriotic again…
So glad I had parents who ‘got it’.
Patriotism is the gloss we put over evil so we can pretend everything is ok…

3 Likes

The year’s at the spring
And day’s at the morn;
Morning’s at seven;
The hillside’s dew-pearled;
The lark’s on the wing;
The snail’s on the thorn:
God’s in His heaven—
All’s right with the world!

If only Bob!
Not much fireworks here in Washington State yesterday.

3 Likes