Home | About | Donate

Progressive Rashida Tlaib Calls Primary Victory 'A Resounding Mandate to Put People Before Profits'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/05/progressive-rashida-tlaib-calls-primary-victory-resounding-mandate-put-people

6 Likes

I am old enough to be the father of most of the Squad. I am so proud of YOU. My eyes are tearing as I type. Go, Go, Go!!!

17 Likes

I’m not overly optimistic but if I have a shred of hope, it’s that Tlaib and some other members of The Squad summon up the nerve to become the base of a People’s Party. Because they have to realize by now that within the d-party machine, they’re consistently over-ridden in favor of Nancy’s precious Blue Dogs.

10 Likes

A squad has 9 to 13 members usually. She may be heritage of family from Palestine, but she is a tough
redneck type americanno with a Christian sense of right and wrong.

Nancy endorsed her?

4 Likes

“We are done with establishment politics that put corporations first.”

Good, would someone make sure Joe Biden/K Harris get the memo.

6 Likes

Rashida’s over 35, US-born, a stalwart Democratic Congress woman, working diligently for her TRUE constituents… as opposed to cheap, obvious lying jackals, working for those who wish to feed upon us & our children simply to line their own pockets… I’m amazed America still HAS candidates like her. Just IMAGINE, if we had scores of actual Galbraith-ian Democrats allowed to WIN? We’d be TIRED of winning!

~https://mobile.twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1290875503897968640

~https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/08/05/unem-a05.html

6 Likes

I think Nancy can see the writing on the wall. This is the first time she has endorsed a progressive candidate that I know of. I am starting to feel a little bit of real hope and change and not Obama’s version.

2 Likes

Rashida’s victory should send a strong and clear message that the only way to prevent either Trump or Biden running roughshod over the 99% in the immediate future, is to replace every single Congressman and woman with a Progressive. The MSM avoids covering Congressional races or else distorts them to make sure that the corporate candidates have an advantage. It is time that all Americans get on the same page and finally rid our Congress of corporate sycophants.
Progressives have no Party. Progressives are a movement or a mindset. It doesn’t matter what their so-called political party is, as long as they fight against all corporate influence in favour of the 99%. If the Progressive movement fails, it is the end of human civilization, yet this is an epic battle as all the forces of evil, money and power are aligned against us. A Progressive running in every seat for Congress this November. This is our only hope.

4 Likes

If they get the memo we can be sure it will be put in the round file.

3 Likes

I’m glad she won, we need her energy, passion, and effectiveness in calling attention to those not doing well under the current system

3 Likes

Many of the qualities that have prompted those from the political center to criticize Tlaib have endeared her to a base of working-class Detroiters and progressive activists.

I live in good ol’ way-too-red Nebrasky and I am beyond sick and fed-up with all those in the ‘political center’ (third-way-dems and dinos by any other name[s]) that talk a halfway decent game but do nothing when they get elected. Conversely, everything The Squad has said, they have actually acted on – imagine that, politicians that do what they say they’re going to do! – they are the only politicians that should matter to all of us!

5 Likes

Much love, Rashida!

Here’s to a Congress that speaks the truth and really works for the people.
Go, Rashida!

1 Like

Take over the Conversation.
Campaign on Truth, Transparency and the Common Good.

Ditch the Corporate sellouts.

Pelosi, we are coming for the Chair you currently, ineffectually, occupy

1 Like

GO GIRL GO! could not be happier at her overwhelming victory. Goodbye to the likes of Nancy and her old tired damn dems. hello and welcome back to the squad and Corrie Bush and the folks from NY, Bowman and others. it’s happening. AMERIKA IS ON THE WAY OUT! able to breathe again as more and more progressives run and get elected everywhere.

2 Likes

Tlaib is US-born, so can Constitutionally be President.

Tlaib / Ocasio-Cortez 2024!

And Jayapal for Speaker of the House in 2021.

But, according to the article, she was endorsed by Speaker Pelosi. At least in the initial primary campaign.
Anyway, the Progressive House Caucus is about 40% of the entire Democratic Caucus, as currently constituted. That’s about 35-40 members short of where we need to be.
2022 will be a battle royale for Democratic Caucus leadership. And, committee assignments and what have you. " We’re headed for a showdown. "

The House Progressive Carcass is a fucking joke and you know it.

My fairly progressive rep, Debbie Dingell, is a member.
She’s also a member of the Problem Solvers Caucus.

The House Progressive Caucus would be more effective if there was some sort of a Progressive Senate Working Group as a counterpart.
Instead, we get Sens. like Joe Manchin, possibly a Sen. Hickenlooper and C. Sinema. " The Mod Squad " versus The Squad, so to speak.

Well, … This may be a start, but there’s a tremendous battle ahead with an uncertain outcome. What we need is about 200 Tlaibs in Congress (and an equal number of AOC’s). Biden, Pelosi, Schumer et. al. are going to join with the Repugs to try to keep that from happening.