Home | About | Donate

Progressives Denounce Trump SEC's "Gift to the Oil Industry" as Anti-Corruption Rule Gets Neutered

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/16/progressives-denounce-trump-secs-gift-oil-industry-anti-corruption-rule-gets

I am assuming that most of the crap the republicans and trump have conjured up the last four years can be overturned, and people fired.

1 Like

Hi gandolf:
I hope so. I also wonder if Congress hires people to go back and look at old laws to see if anyone remembers them and see if they could be used today. I am astounded that the Bayh-Dole Act of 1980 is something we need today—maybe no one remembers it. : (
This would certainly be the time for the government to take over the patented medicines for covid!

Of course I agree and have said so here a number of times.
Safety and cost. What more do we need to know? We pay for government labs, let’s use them.
People say we should look forward not back. The way I see it is that to move forward we should be on solid ground. And for me that means having the rules of the game in place, and dadgummit enforce them.
Either that or let EVERYONE just lie and cheat their asses off.

Hi gandolf:
I vote for enforcing rules, but sometimes there are so many rules that people forget they are here. : ( I wonder, are there jobs in Congress where people spend time looking up old rules to see if they have been forgotten, or maybe that they need to be updated. Is there an official Congressional job that keeps track of laws that might have been forgotten?

I think good congressional staffers are on top of precedents. But their bosses should press them to do it.