Home | About | Donate

Progressives Fight Back Against Centrist Democrats' Ploy to 'Water Down' $15 Minimum Wage Bill

Progressives Fight Back Against Centrist Democrats' Ploy to 'Water Down' $15 Minimum Wage Bill

Jake Johnson, staff writer

The Congressional Progressive Caucus is fighting back against an attempt by centrist Democrats to undercut the push for a $15 federal minimum wage with legislation that would allow lower hourly pay in "rural areas."

"We want to pass a full $15 minimum wage bill," Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) told Politico in an interview. "We're very clear about that. Being in Congress means leading, and we need to lead on minimum wage."

4 Likes

Interesting thoughts and headline citations from the economic press - especially regarding the context of wages historically. Then, second half looking at how the functions of block chain technology continue to be tested and implemented.

Even if the full minimum wage ($15) passes, with the way the government operates at turtle-like speed when something is FOR “We the People” and not the establishment, it will be time to protest for $20 an hour!

3 Likes

Personally, I do support regional variation, but of a different kind. I think there should be a floor of 15, which should increase in high cost cities like New York and San Francisco. I don’t know that $15 is a livable wage in many parts of NY.

8 Likes

Why fight for crumbs off the table? 15$ is still poverty wages.
What we should be demanding is a maximum wage and a livable wage alongside a guaranteed basic income.

4 Likes

The “floor” is a great idea.

1 Like

I’m sure the d-party apology tour will be around to tell us Republican obstruction will stop this bill anyway.

But we have RomneyCare because conservative Democrats obstructed something better.

And it’s House Dems who are obstructing on this $15 minimum wage bill.

2 Likes

Incremental Change. A regressive political strategy of establishment politicians from a time gone by.

1 Like

Progressive Ladies & Gentlemen of the 2020 Congress, do not allow the Hillary type conservative Democrats to control the agenda.

You are not the Greedy Warmongering Republican Party you are decedents of the FDR progressive wing of the Democratic Party where Social Security was Born and Medicare became the seed of an idea.

Continue to promote a decent life for ALL Americans and not just the Wall Street Tycoons sitting on their ass getting wealthy off the labor of hard working ordinary People.

3 Likes

Yes - I support a $15 an hour wage for congresspeople. They should be compensated at the level of good they have accomplished for the people of the United States.

Actually - that is a really good idea. Let’s set congressional compensation at the minimum wage. Let’s see how long the minimum wage stays down at the level where you can’t live off it.

3 Likes

IT’S REALLY … E A S Y !
Dems should UNANIMOUSLY endorse a $15/hour minimum.
DONE !

2 Likes

Oh - so you are trying to bring “reality” into the equation. Like science - reality is really troubling to a lot of the con artists who pass as congresspeople.

1 Like

Tx - I’ve kinda forgotten about Kaiser for the past few years.

I think the point is that the Corporate, Centrist, Vichey Dems are going to try and deep-6 this…and any other damn thing that the 99% want (if it will cost their donors a nickle)

3 Likes

You mean Nancy Pelosi and her sychophants.

1 Like

That 's a start…BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!!!

1 Like

Nice thoughts! … BUT …
… you don’t REALLY believe that, do you?
… that ALL Dems consider themselves “descendents” of the New Deal?
— I wish they DID !
Hell, many of our “great” FDR Dems created a crisis at the presidential convention to STOP Roosevelt’s VP from being nominated for president, and put Truman in, instead!
— Hey, SequoiaBison …
• THOSE are the ones whose Descendents RUN the Party today.

I was referring to the New Dems like AO-C recently elected that carry the mantle of FDR, the rest are as you say simply Greedy Corporate Puppets.

I am well aware of Henry Wallace being denied the VP slot in FDR’s final term by conservative Dems and we got stuck with Warmonger Harry.

The current crop of Dems must follow the philosophy of FDR that a Progressive agenda wins elections.

1 Like

I support making the minimum, minimum wage (no that’s not a typo…read on) being at a level that no one, no matter where they live, would not live in poverty working a 40 hour work week. Using this standard if, for example, the most expensive place in the country required a $25/hour wage, that would be the minimum wage for all.

This would have two effects. First, it would assure that no one working a full time job would live in poverty. Second, it would provide an incentive for people to move to areas that cost less to live in. This would be good for low-cost areas and good for high cost areas (because a lowered demand for housing and services would reduce costs over time).

In addition, I would make the minimum wage dynamic, so that it would grow over time automatically as the cost of living increases. It’s really stupid to make it a fixed number in a world full of variables.

2 Likes

The only thing I would add is that we need a MAXIMUM wage as well.

2 Likes