Home | About | Donate

Progressives Raise Alarm Over Lack of Single Payer Supporters Testifying at Historic Medicare for All Hearing

Progressives Raise Alarm Over Lack of Single Payer Supporters Testifying at Historic Medicare for All Hearing

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After the House Rules Committee released the full list of witnesses who will testify at the first-ever congressional hearing on Medicare for All next week, progressives expressed concern about the lack of single-payer proponents chosen for the panel and worried that what is supposed to be a substantive discussion of Medicare for All could turn out to be a "farce."

2 Likes

The congressional, neoliberal wall street addicted, democrats are good at ‘fixing’ things … get it in your head: THEY are owned by the big donor class. They do not care if their own approval rating is single digit or health care for all is 100%. The plan is to put some lipstick on Obama’s pig and call it ‘a victory’…maybe a cross breed between ObamaCare and TrumpCare. I think I’m going to be sick!

7 Likes

Health care is a human right. Healthy people produce more and live better lives. A strong nation cares for all the people just like good farmers care for all of the farm. Medicare for all now at 100% coverage from birth is good. Tax all income the same to fund medicare. Improve medicare after everyone is covered. First things first.

A better way is possible

8 Likes

If there going to have criteria for who can testify to keep it ‘even handed,’ how about adding ‘anyone who has said anything negative about Medicare-for-all is out.’

4 Likes

Can you really afford to be sick? That would make you part of a vanishing demographic.

7 Likes

The powerful insurance companies want to be the judge, jury, and executioner with shareholder profit their only driving force. There will not be a good single payer program unless these greedy bastards are kicked completely out of health care.

6 Likes
  1. Ecological collapse is well underway. It is generating new tipping points in a variety of dimension and as each tipping point tips, new dimensions are generated per exponential function

2. The financial system is, I would submit, dead weight. What we witness however, is the very REAL dynamic of local integrity of economic dynamics but ONLY WHEN PEOPLE CONSCIOUSLY ENGAGE LOCAL ECONOMY as communities. A concise and highly readable-shareable book has just been published called “Grocery Story”. I suggest this because - first and foremost when the $#!t hits the fan, we all need a functioning alternative to the too-centralized version currently crumbling. We all gotta eat.

3. Medicare for all is the logical, implementable model. At the moment it would seem that the for-profit medical system is among a entire spectrum of aspects that are in the process of failing. I know the local hospital where I live is being torn apart by buyout and nearly non-functional. What is our recourse?

2 Likes

Rules Committee chair Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) sez:
Single-payer is “a serious proposal that deserves serious consideration on Capitol Hill.”

“… But not in this hearing.”

3 Likes

Corporate Democrats are corporate Democrats.

They’re not People Democrats: They are just pretenders…

6 Likes

Just say no to any old Joe that supports insurance over Medicare-for-All.

5 Likes

So this rotten and corrupt party is the “opposition” to the right? These corrupt hacks are the ones we have chosen to solve society’s problems? Pathetic. Anyone that argues that building a third party is harder than making THAT party a vehicle of (at least) social democratic change is deluded. It is a farce and about time the supporters of single payer in government take the gloves off and directly challenge their colleagues, because they basically do this with every issue.

10 Likes

No more half measures. We need to fight for what we deserve as a nation of tax paying citizens. Privatized healthcare used to be reasonably priced a generation ago. It is no long, partly due to lack of access, partly because of soaring increases in cost.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Barton, this looks like a “chicken and egg” situation. You could also say that until the single-payer system is put in place, the “greedy bastards” will remain. I guess we could add: Until the paid-for congress is kicked out, there will never be a single-payer system for all.

This country has been lost in GREED CAPITALISM for a very long time and I wish I knew how to change that but, as it has always been said: “MONEY TALKS”, which means that “We the People” are being held mute.

4 Likes

Swagman, I don’t even think they are “pretenders” anymore. They pull their shit right out in the open now, knowing that they will get away with it.

1 Like

Sad thing is that millions of well meaning, albeit naive Democrats, still believe it!

3 Likes

I made, basically, the same post you just did on this site last week and was told that I was, therefore, a “Trump-lover”! Where has “THOUGHT” gone? Where have OPEN-MINDS" gone? Where has an american population gone that once could THINK for themselves?!

3 Likes

Let’s look for the nefarious influence of Russia! They’re the ones who are destroying our democracy! All my news feeds tell me so!

2 Likes

Is there a petition?

If the witnesses at the hearings were all M4A advocates, Pelosi and the critters who put her in the speaker’s chair would still oppose M4A. This fight can be won only by people power, and that means two things: first, spreading articles like this one and the message of “better coverage for less money” through the internet while the internet is still an uncensored tool and second, voting Pelosi’s crew out of office.

Vive les Verts!

4 Likes

Where’s KC to tell us all how this is just wonderful for progressives and democracy?

3 Likes